Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

SGDQ 2017

SUMMER GAMES DONE QUICK 2017

July 2 - July 9

I've been so busy lately I almost forgot about it, but it's time for another round of SGDQ.

If you're not aware of what I'm talking about, Games Done Quick is a series of charity video game marathons with events in the winter and summer. Speedrunners from all over come together in one place and stream a nonstop barrage of high-level gameplay. This summer's event benefits Doctors without Borders. Tune in to see some games getting completely taken apart. The runs will eventually be archived if you can't see it live.

Main Site

Schedule

Twitch Channel

Donation Page

Official GDQ YouTube Channel

Forum Curated YouTube Playlist (click here to add videos)

Taking a quick glance at the schedule, I see that the first game out of the gate is NieR: Automata run by Halfcooordinated, which is pretty awesome.  Halfcoordinated is a disabled gamer who only has fine motor control in one hand so he plays everything one handed.  His runs are pretty great, my favorite being one of Vanquish from a couple years ago.

Other ones I'm interested in:

Okami HD

MDK

I Am Bread

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose

Bionic Commando Rearmed (by my favorite runner PJ)

Tetris block (includes Tetris: The Grand Master 8-way 100% race and a 2-players 1-controller race)

The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (all dungeons, swordless)

Super Mario series warpless relay

SUPERHOT

Super Panga World

Super Mario 64 (120 stars)

Like always, once the archives start getting put up I'll compile a YouTube playlist of what I think are more interesting runs and make it available here.

I wanna see Hollow knight, because I want to see how the hell you beat that game in an hour. A differently-mapped Doom run is also interesting. Dishonored was neat but I'm willing to bet Dishonored 2 is going to be the same thing - finding seams in the level geometry, blinking to exploit them, using mana potions properly. It's impressive but not crazy exciting to watch.

OH I want to watch someone beat Divinity: Original Sin as fast as possible too. I hear there's some crazy barrel tech.

Little bit sad that they've run out of ways to make Super Metroid the true finale, Save vs Kill is one of my favorite parts. TBF they also killed their own hydra with the way they handled it live at AGDQ this winter.

1 hour ago, Badfinger said:

I wanna see Hollow knight, because I want to see how the hell you beat that game in an hour. A differently-mapped Doom run is also interesting. Dishonored was neat but I'm willing to bet Dishonored 2 is going to be the same thing - finding seams in the level geometry, blinking to exploit them, using mana potions properly. It's impressive but not crazy exciting to watch.

OH I want to watch someone beat Divinity: Original Sin as fast as possible too. I hear there's some crazy barrel tech.

Little bit sad that they've run out of ways to make Super Metroid the true finale, Save vs Kill is one of my favorite parts. TBF they also killed their own hydra with the way they handled it live at AGDQ this winter.

I've become somewhat wary of FPS speedruns because they're usually about clipping through the map to skip as much of the game as possible which isn't interesting to me at all.  For that reason I'm not especially excited about DOOM and Dishonored but I'm sure I'll end up watching them at some point.

I'm kind of bummed about Super Metroid losing prominence as well but I suppose it's inevitable given how long that game has been run.  But they've had some really great closers in the last few marathons so I can't complain too much.

2 minutes ago, SecretAsianMan said:

I'm kind of bummed about Super Metroid losing prominence as well but I suppose it's inevitable given how long that game has been run.  But they've had some really great closers in the last few marathons so I can't complain too much.

really don't care about 2d JRPGs, so it doesn't matter how good the Finals Fantasy, Chronos Trigger, or Unders Tale they end with I tune out at that point. In the same way I lose interest in the FPS level breaking, the intricacies of manipulating the programming of them is totally lost on me.

7 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

really don't care about 2d JRPGs, so it doesn't matter how good the Finals Fantasy, Chronos Trigger, or Unders Tale they end with I tune out at that point. In the same way I lose interest in the FPS level breaking, the intricacies of manipulating the programming of them is totally lost on me.

That's fair enough, although I want to point out that what I like about those runs isn't the games themselves but rather the run as a whole, including the couch commentary, runners, and audience experience.  Normally when those games are run in the middle of the marathon I'm as indifferent as you but as an ending I appreciate the long, slow sort of finality to them.

I had the Super Monkey Ball stream on in the background today. It's pretty long but I recommend some if you can. Some insane things going on!

am I crazy or did they used to post to their youtube channel almost the same day/within 24 hours? there's nothing up as of yet.

I'm excited for the Hollow Knight run tomorrow, but with every iteration of these events I can't help but feel less enthusiastic about the mainstays that get played every time.

10 hours ago, juv3nal said:

am I crazy or did they used to post to their youtube channel almost the same day/within 24 hours? there's nothing up as of yet.

You're not crazy.

21 hours ago, thepaulhoey said:

You're not crazy.

aw crud, it's even worse than I previously thought. I was thinking "oh well, guess I'll just watch the VOD on twitch even though I kind of hate twitch/prefer youtube" but they haven't even broken it out by run, so I can't pick and choose what I want to watch without having to scan through a bunch of crud or cross reference it with the schedule. I wonder if they had a massive shortfall of volunteers or something.

29 minutes ago, juv3nal said:

they haven't even broken it out by run, so I can't pick and choose what I want to watch without having to scan through a bunch of crud or cross reference it with the schedule..

The r/speedrun subreddit has links with timestamps here.

As promised, I've started a playlist that I'll be adding to as I watch the replays.  It won't contain every single run, just the ones I think are more entertaining.  I've added the link to the first post in the thread.  I've also opened it up to collaboration if anyone else wants to add videos as well.  Please stick to only videos from the official GDQ channel.

I managed to see quite a few of the runs during the event. I'll throw a couple of particularly entertaining ones onto the playlist.

Seeing the setup for FFVII was absolutely fascinating. I didn't stick around for the whole 8 hours (!), but it's interesting to compare the expected standards on different games. As a general rule older, less rng-heavy, and especially shorter games have been more precisely routed; skips of 20 frames might be relevant in a 30 minute run, but nobody has time to care about a couple of seconds in a multi-hour game. FFVII seems like an exception: the community has mapped out the exact position and step count required on every screen, including when to walk vs run, in order to precisely manipulate encounters.

Banjo-Kazooie 100% was very impressive. It's quite a long run with a lot of extremely difficult tricks, and the runner pulled it off near-flawlessly: he came within two minutes of his own world record. It helped that the commentators were so knowledgeable and explained everything well. (Just... here especially, don't read the comments).

I also have to recommend the Jedi Outcast run for the sheer enthusiasm of the runner, CovertMuffin. In such a fast-paced game full of tricky jumps I'd expect a separate commentator so he could focus, but instead he spent the whole hour explaining the tricks as he pulled them off, even taking the time to thank and greet every donor that was announced.

I haven't watched as much (so far) this time around, but I liked both BotW and Titanfall 2. (edit: oh also SuperHOT) I think what I like to watch has shifted over time...I'm not "no out of bounds glitching ever" but if a major part of the run is an OOB glitch I've seen before, my interest drops pretty dramatically.

By far the best runs for me are the ones where the runner or someone on the couch is explaining what's going on and what's so interesting/special about what they're doing(like BotW or the Mario relay). I forget the run but there was one where they'd just say "oh he got blah blah blah skip" but never explain what it is or why I should care. I tune out of those fast.

If we're talking about couch commentators, the Freedom Planet run has the most excited and high-energy couch commentator I've seen - he literally did not stop speaking for the entire run, and seemed genuinely enthused by some of the higher-skill parts of the run. This is either really annoying or quite sweet, depending.

I've been working my way through the 8-hour FFVII play-through. I'm enjoying it but I'm having trouble explaining exactly why. I think a big part of it is having never played FFVII, which normally hurts my enjoyment of a speedrun, but in this case the couchpersons make a good effort to explain both regular game mechanics and storyline in addition to speed strats. So I feel like I'm enjoying the game on a lets-play sort of level, but at an accelerated pace (8 hours instead of 30).

...8 hours is still a lot, though. I'm still just 3 hours in.

A number of the VODs have audio issues that will (hopefully) get resolved once they upload the edited runs instead of the raw stream so I'm going to suggest holding off adding to the playlist for now.