Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Idle Thumbs BONUS: Ruinations Online May & June 2017

Idle Thumbs BONUS:

Idle Thumbs BONUS

Ruinations Online May & June 2017
Enjoy this special double-length bonus episode drawn from our Idle Thumbs Patreon Ruination Online! Each month, we do a livestream where all topics have been posed by high-tier backers of our Patreon campaign: patreon.com/IdleThumbs. In order to rejigger the schedule to make a bit more sense, we're packing the Ruinations from both May and June into this episode—which means next month's July Ruination will actually be released in July. Brilliant!

We'll be back with a regular episode of Idle Thumbs next week!

Discussed: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Far Cry 2, terrible entertainment things, the use of unlimited newfound wealth, classic Idle Thumbs songs, global nuclear war, ghosts in mansions in video games, ancient Idle Thumbs podcast memes, hypothetical game remakes, autobiography titles, Something True podcast, best meals, spicy meals, our child selves, making podcasts, the etymology of "robot", dreaming, board games, comfort food, Idle Thumbs Patreon postcards, game development, Spelunky, the Great Games, the purpose of robots, video game art, internet micro-celebrity,

Not Discussed: Richard Linklater's "Everybody Wants Some!!"

Wizard Jam 5 has concluded! Wizard Jam is the Idle Thumbs community game jam, and the latest one has just concluded. Head over to the Wizard Jam 5 itch.io page or the Wizard Jam 5 forum to browse all the entries and catch up on their development. Congrats to all the participants!

I was just listening to this and came across the moment when Chris was describing his best dining moment and would like some clarification. I'm traveling with my girlfriend to Europe for the first time in just a weeks time and will be stopping through Paris. I want to make sure I know what this place is called because it sounds like the perfect experience for both of us! I apologize to say this, but it is incredibly hard to hear French words and then put them to text in a google search afterwards. What is this place called? Does anyone know of this place? I would very much appreciate anyone with information on this or if they have a better ear to French words-to-text than I.

Much thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Fractology said:

I was just listening to this and came across the moment when Chris was describing his best dining moment and would like some clarification. I'm traveling with my girlfriend to Europe for the first time in just a weeks time and will be stopping through Paris. I want to make sure I know what this place is called because it sounds like the perfect experience for both of us! I apologize to say this, but it is incredibly hard to hear French words and then put them to text in a google search afterwards. What is this place called? Does anyone know of this place? I would very much appreciate anyone with information on this or if they have a better ear to French words-to-text than I.

Much thanks in advance.

Sure! It's called L'Aubergeade.

Biggest movie disappointment: Be Cool. I didn't even know about it's existence until I stumbled across it in the discount DVD-bucket at the electronics-shop. "What, they made a sequel to Get Shorty? I liked that film!" Then I proceeded to get ridiculously hyped up about it. "Andre Benjamin's in this!? Wow! And Uma Thurman, The Rock, Keitel, DeVito!" By the time I'd made it home from the store I'd convinced myself I'd discovered a future cult-classic that only I knew about, somehow. It was gonna be so cool. It even had cool in the title!

It wasn't cool. By the point one of the lead characters takes the stage and sings a duet with Aerosmith I'd learned just how painfully un-cool it was.

To be fair, it did have one great scene though, courtesy of Cedric The Entertainer, but even that wasn't enough the elevate the nonsense surrounding it.

Best Meal: I was working in Korea with my then girlfriend near Seoul and took a long weekend to go down to Busan. We hadn't booked a hotel in advance and ended up wandering the city and finding a love motel to stay in. Across the street from the hotel was this amazing restaurant. The meal started out like shabu shabu which is like hotpot. You get a bowl of hot broth and cook foods in it. Around the bowl of broth was a grill you could cook meats on. You then took some of the ingredients from the grill and the broth to make spring rolls. At the end you add rice to the rest of the broth and make a rice porridge. I think the part that made it so memorable aside from being amazingly delicious is how randomly we found the place. Was so sad to find out it was the only location they had.

fjst9rH.jpg

More pictures in the spoiler tag

RyoSWng.jpg

VO6md76.jpg

VP8U2Pc.jpg

Comfort Foods:

Baked Ziti http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/best-baked-ziti-parmesan-cream-recipe.html

Muffin tin pot pies: http://www.thebakerchick.com/2012/01/muffin-tin-chicken-pot-pies-part-2/  (For added deliciousness use puff pastry instead of pie crust. I usually make them vegetarian so replace chicken with mushrooms and use veggie broth)

IdleThumbs predicted/retroactively created some game or movie by joking about the concept in this episode too, but I forget what it was. Maybe someone else will point it out before I can go back and find it. 

Oh! It was Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, in which our hero spends his time at university loudly denying that he has psychic powers and telling people it is just a crazy rumor that he has ever predicted the future by talking in his sleep. I think he does this just to scam free drinks. He pretends to pass out then mumbles tantalizingly cryptic nonsense, which his credulous patrons greedily transcribe. Except he gets hoisted when something he mumbles corresponds too closely to that year's exam questions and he gets expelled for apparently having cheated by somehow stealing a look at the exam. 

1 hour ago, feelthedarkness said:

I love all the songs but "this is the time we have prepared for" which is just the weird narrative of superhot, (I think?) is a triumph.

It was something about the game Receiver, surviving the Mind Kill and The Phaedrus Group...

Was that song ever played in an episode? Still eagerly awaiting the next Phaedrus vlog.

Chris Remo: There is just nothing in my life that would ever cause me to be aware of the seasons. 

[five minutes later] 

Chris Remo: Heirloom tomatoes are starting to be available and will really be in season in a few weeks. 

I'm coming out of long-term lurk mode to posit that Jake's Half-Life 3 podcast is needed now more than ever! The fact that Valve's writers have left the building would free the interview subjects to not worry about any real world constraints thus giving us their unadulterated visions, and the series itself would give Valve (yet another) reminder that people want this game enough to devote a whole podcast series to just thinking about what it could be. Maybe the visibility raised by the podcast would get those guys back in a room together!? We can hope, right!?