Spenny

[Release] I'll Kill The Last Alien

Hey, so our team kept quiet through the jam, but we were working hard away at an I'll Kill The Last Alien.

IKTLA_logo_itchioo.jpg.bd8d9142024fe559e20771fd3c60b4d2.jpg

You can grab it here: https://scary-wizard.itch.io/ill-kill-the-last-alien

Our team consisted of myself, my partner Jess, artist @stesug, and @Problem Machine making some catchy catchy tunes. 

I'll Kill The Last Alien transports the player into the role of The Berserker, a raging warrior who is flung out of a portal and into a fantasy alien world. The game uses bullet hell conventions to make meaningful fighting between The Berserker and the near endless waves of aliens.

I'll be pushing a few little polish touches before the weekend, but if you want to check it out sooner, go ahead!

Whoa! This is really good! And punishing too - I got stuck when it turned into a bullet hell. Well done!

5 minutes ago, GammaBit said:

Whoa! This is really good! And punishing too - I got stuck when it turned into a bullet hell. Well done!

I don't have an in game tutorial for it, but were you using the time magic you unlocked?

Just now, Spenny said:

I don't have an in game tutorial for it, but were you using the time magic you unlocked?

I was!

Spoiler

But killing one enemy on the second level sends you back to the beginning, right?

Love the art for this - the 2D bits are nice and crisp, and the 3D feels like a weird 70s East European animation. The central idea is really clever, too, and gave me a great "ah ha!" moment. Like Gamma said, it is pretty tough, and I could probably have done with the levels' length being reduced by 10% (though the game length is pretty much spot on) plus maybe a health meter for the last alien, but I mastered it!

15 hours ago, GammaBit said:

I was!

Reveal hidden contents

But killing one enemy on the second level sends you back to the beginning, right?

Yeah that's correct. Well, I'm glad you liked what you were able to get through.

8 hours ago, Ben X said:

Love the art for this - the 2D bits are nice and crisp, and the 3D feels like a weird 70s East European animation. The central idea is really clever, too, and gave me a great "ah ha!" moment. Like Gamma said, it is pretty tough, and I could probably have done with the levels' length being reduced by 10% (though the game length is pretty much spot on) plus maybe a health meter for the last alien, but I mastered it!

Thanks for the kind words. Level length was definitely tough to design for, and hey, I made the level before the boss pretty antagonistic, no doubt. Hopefully it didn't get boring. Thanks again for playing.

Wow, that was great. I found the second part (w/ time magic) to be punishingly tough, but I stuck with it and reached the end. I changed strategies a few times until I found one that worked well:

Spoiler

I had to unlearn my aversion to getting hit, which was cool. I instead started focusing on berserking regularly---whenever I had a clear path in front of me.

The graphics and sound design are really strong, and I especially enjoy how The Berserker is animated (nice fluid transition from the menu to the game, by the way). Also, I appreciate that the whole story is told without words. I know firsthand how tricky that can be, and I thought you did a good job of it.

I uploaded some fresh builds to itchio last night. The boss has a health bar now! There's a bunch of little changes all over. I also put some screenshots on the page. You can see what the game looks like! It looks like this:

YL5K7t.thumb.png.e91915153978fd0ac26607ad4af3b9fb.png

On 6/21/2017 at 4:03 PM, getinthedamnbox said:

Wow, that was great. I found the second part (w/ time magic) to be punishingly tough, but I stuck with it and reached the end. I changed strategies a few times until I found one that worked well:

Reveal hidden contents

I had to unlearn my aversion to getting hit, which was cool. I instead started focusing on berserking regularly---whenever I had a clear path in front of me.

Yeah, I totally hear people saying that the game is tough, it sure is! I'm very glad to hear people are getting through it though. Playing some Wiz Jam games in the past, I feel that some of the better ones are a the tough ones. It's really rewarding to master something, and a jam game has the potential to deliver that in a short amount of time.

I'm glad you picked up on the duality of the mechanics. @stesug is to thank for coming up with the way getting hit builds up your characters magical rage. It's a great idea that both made the core game more dynamic and interesting, and really paid off with the boss fight.

That was really great. I love the art design and the clever twist on subverting my expectation of the gameplay.

The storytelling was also solid. I like that I was able to see the final boss before fighting it, gave me a sense of purpose.

I will echo everyone's comment that the game is really hard, especially since the first part is such a walk in the park. Using the time magic more did allow me to finish the game, but it still made me wish for a few respawn points in each area.