Cordeos

E3 2017

Gah, we should have just had a trailer dump at the beginning of this, had to go digging for things, still haven't found them all. So far my takes are:

• I'm super glad I took the last few games off of the Assassin's Creed franchise because I actually got excited watching the trailer for the new one. I'm interested to play around in that setting and genuinely stoked that the character doesn't appear to be white-washed at all.
  • That Spider-Man game looks lovely and I am sad that I will never play it because it's probably going to be PS4 exclusive. I liked the feel of that take on the character and I don't think I would mind all the QTEs because you're just getting to see a pretty great looking spider-man movie in between web-slangin'.
  • Anthem looks much better in video than my earlier impressions of it, but I just feel like I'm going to be filling that shaped hole in my life with Destiny 2 when it rolls around.
  • There are a lot of neat looking things that I lost interest in when I realized they were VR. The Doom VR thing especially seems like no fun. A huge part of having those fucking great big demons running at me feel fun in the game was the knowledge that I could run away and having to turn and teleport seems like it would be much more stressful.
  • Feels like PS4 and VR really had massive showings. 
  • With Hidden Agenda and A Way Out it seems like more people are trying to make interesting narrative experiences for couch co-op and I love that. 
  • The Artful Escape got a write up a while back but if you missed if you absolutely should watch the trailer. 

I feel like some stuff got buried in the shuffle. 2 Yakuza game announcements, Vampyr continues to look good, new Tropico, TW: Warhammer II with those freaking lizard-men, new Kingdom Hearts, and Crackdown 3

So Microsoft has decided to pull Avatars out of their medically-induced coma?

I like the sheer variety of customization on display, but the way that Avatars became almost entirely a vehicle for microtransactions makes me wonder how many $.99 purchases you'll have to make in order to actually construct yourself.

4 hours ago, Roderick said:

"Without a battle... where's the fun?" I don't know, Reggie, perhaps in any of the million ways you can play games without a battle element? Pack up Firewatch, guys, it's just no fun without a battle.

Reggie has deep convictions about the will to power and only ever feels alive when he is defeating others or being defeated himself.

As a top-level competitive Super Smash Bros. professional, Reggie only plays games to prove his superiority. 

(that said, I tend to agree when it comes to games)

Nintendo: "We should pay more attention to the rest of the gaming industry. What do gamers love these days?"

Team Zelda: "Dark Souls! Far Cry! Assassin's Creed! Crafting! No hand-holding!"

Team Mario: "Hats!"

Wasn't Sakamoto the guy responsible for Metroid Other M as well?

The Metroid 2 remake reminded me of this:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/08/exclusive_mercurysteam_has_been_working_on_a_metroid_prototype_for_wii_u_and_3ds

So the rumours were true in the end.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remake for 3DS looks amazing.

Smash Bros is part of the E3 sale, and another game announcement was teased in an AMA. It's got to be Super Smash Bros for Switch, no?

I feel like I'm less and less interested in Beyond Good & Evil 2 with every new information that comes out. I'm just not into incredibly huge procedurally-generated worlds in games. I'm feeling a bit of Molyneux hype in those Ancel's words:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-15-beyond-good-and-evil-2-lets-you-create-your-own-character

This below I suppose everyone guesses especially now reading that above article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-14-michel-ancel-doesnt-think-bg-and-e-2-is-a-switch-exclusive-and-he-would-know

Though it's nice that he says the photographing wildlife will be part of this game as well.

50 minutes ago, dartmonkey said:

Smash Bros is part of the E3 sale, and another game announcement was teased in an AMA. It's got to be Super Smash Bros for Switch, no?

I'm sceptical because all of the Treehouse announcements have been 3DS stuff so far. Good seeming stuff, but no heavy hitters for the Switch.

I think this video reassured me on Samus Returns, the melee cut away parts don't seem to happen that often(and actually look like a cool risk/reward mechanic), there's still exploration and the boss fights looked interesting. I'm definitely not writing it off, I'm actually rather optimistic now.

On 6/11/2017 at 9:12 PM, Cordeos said:

Open world Metro sounds interesting, my main issue with the earlier games were the linear nature of them. What I really want is a new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :(

Yeah I got excited for this too. But then I found out through PC Gamer that it's going to be the same linear Metro.  The STALKER/FC2 open world itch remains unscratched. 

15 hours ago, thepaulhoey said:

I think this video reassured me on Samus Returns, the melee cut away parts don't seem to happen that often(and actually look like a cool risk/reward mechanic), there's still exploration and the boss fights looked interesting. I'm definitely not writing it off, I'm actually rather optimistic now.

Finding Sakamoto directly involved had the opposite effect for me; I don't think he knows why Metroid works.

I listened to the Bombcast with Phil Spencer and he makes me want to buy an Xbox. It's sad that the most original sales pitch is simply sounding like a human being, acknowledging other video games exist and are great. I'm being played like a pipe but, gee, he sounds like a swell guy.

I was traveling during the E3 so I'm just catching up with the content. So far most of the things that have caught my attention are related to Nintendo. Good for Nintendo, I guess. Scattered thoughts:

- Looking forward to playing a Metroid game for the first time ever.

- That Mario and Rabbids thing seems surprisingly fun. I hope it is balanced enough to be enjoyable.

- Holy shit Super Mario Odyssey looks good! I need this now.

- Ubisoft managed to make Beyond Good and Evil 2 ever being released feel even less likely by actually (re-)revealing it in the conference. That is pretty impressive.

4 hours ago, Nappi said:

- Ubisoft managed to make Beyond Good and Evil 2 ever being released feel even less likely by actually (re-)revealing it in the conference. That is pretty impressive.

Could you elaborate on that? Personally, I feel like the game they've announced is pretty definitely going to be released, it's just that it's Beyond Good & Evil in name only...

Listening to Waypoint discussing Beyond Good and Evil 2 definitely makes it sound more ambitious and less plausible. They're talking about it being a game where it's on a huge scale, where you can go from being just inside a building doing a mission, so escaping thought the city streets, to interplanetary travel. It may work out but it's a whole different beast to take on that size of game with a small team of people.

The fact that they did not show any gameplay footage (?), and that the game suddenly features some sort of a simulated solar system shared by the players in one way or another. The original cinematic trailer was released almost 10 years ago and while it was clear that the game was in a weird development hell for a long time*, at least I knew that when finally committing to it, Ubisoft can whip up a 3rd person action adventure game in a decent amount of time. Sure, this new game will probably be released too eventually, but I feel like it could be a while.

* I remember someone at Ubisoft actually accidentally denying that the sequel was ever announced after the leaked gameplay footage.

2 hours ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

It may work out but it's a whole different beast to take on that size of game with a small team of people.

It's very common for games to start out with teams that small and expand as the tech increases, even for something as this scale. Don't put a lot of weight on the current size of the team.

For example, I guarantee that CG trailer wasn't made by fifteen people.

1 hour ago, Twig said:

It's very common for games to start out with teams that small and expand as the tech increases, even for something as this scale. Don't put a lot of weight on the current size of the team.

For example, I guarantee that CG trailer wasn't made by fifteen people.

Fair point, I also don't know what stage this is supposed to be at. I assumed it was decently underway to talk about inviting the public in but it's hardly a typical development. 

About BG&E2, apparently it's at "day zero of development" which means pretty much none of it exists outside of Ancel's head at the moment. Between the last decade of nothing but cgi-trailers and concept-art, and Ancel's other in-development game "Wild" seemingly having gone up in smoke, I'm inclined to share Nappi's pessimism. I'll believe this thing might actually come out when we start seeing some gameplay footage.

I was flipping through some extremely old PC Gamers and found their original review of Beyond Good and Evil; it apparently only warranted a half page review, and scored a 73.

4 hours ago, Dinosaursssssss said:

I was flipping through some extremely old PC Gamers and found their original review of Beyond Good and Evil; it apparently only warranted a half page review, and scored a 73.

So pc gamers are confirmed garbage. 

The original BG&E is definitely a 7/10 game. I honestly don't know why people are so excited for the new one, especially after just a cg trailer. Didn't they put out one of those a few years ago anyway?

I never even finished the original game mostly because the gameplay wasn't that interesting to me, but was looking forward to Beyond Good & Evil 2 because I liked the world quite a bit.