Cordeos

E3 2017

4 hours ago, Mike Danger said:

hype list so far:

+++++ Spider-Man

++++ Tacoma

++++ Zelda DLC

++++ Super Mario Odyssey (probably actually a 5 once I get over the weirdness)

+++ Shadow of the Colossus (I missed all previous incarnations)

+++ Hidden Agenda

++ Monster Hunter World

++ Battletech

? Beyond Good and Evil 2 (still need to play the first one)

? Anthem

? Yoshi

----- Life Is Strange: Before The Storm

Updated my list. Gotta agree with the comment upthread that this year was pretty light. Here's hoping Cyberpunk 2077 shows up next year.

That BG&E2 trailer was fantastic.  If it wasn't Ancel helming it, I'd have a lot more cynicism or concern than I do.  AFAIK, he directed both Rayman Origins and Legends (not just like his name on it or something), and that gives me a lot of confidence that he can go back to the well of something years later and still make magic. 

19 hours ago, Moosferatu said:

BG&E was such a whimsical and charming little game. I object to it being beat over the head with the bad-ass stick.

I was pretty shocked at the trailer for this reason (in the proper sense). The trailer was very jarring at first, but I can definitely see potential. However, Beyond Good and Evil for me was all about Jade and Pey'j, and I would expect a sequel to pick up after their adventures, rather than before Jade was even born; the license seems tacked on at first glance, but I can see that there could easily be more that we haven't seen that sets the game in the world better... with all the athropomorphised animals, it might as well be Star Fox or Conker's Bad Fur Day. 

It is a world away from the trailer from years ago (and probably for good reason).

The gameplay footage (which I forgot about if I ever saw it) also looked really cool, adding  a bit of Uncharted to the Zelda vibe

2 hours ago, BigJKO said:

METROID FUCKING PRIME 4! That title's all we get, but fuck if it isn't exciting.

Fuck, then. Don't know who's making it, when it's coming out, or really what it even is. Nintendo has done a pretty bad job of making Metroid games over the last 10 years, so they will have nothing but skepticism from me.

I'm intrigued by Samus Returns because I have a lot of nostalgia for Metroid 2, but then seeing it's being made by MercurySteam tempered my expectations quite a bit. I don't need no melee counters in a Metroid game, neither.

All we know is that it's not Retro. It's a new team headed up by producer Kensuke Tanabe.

Samus Returns looks extremely ugly to me.

4 minutes ago, Twig said:

Samus Returns looks extremely ugly to me.

There was something off about how the backgrounds and characters looked together

I was surprised but happy to see metroid news. I don't have a 3DS though, but I've considered getting one. Might for whatever the thing is. Metroid Prime isn't really the metroid I want either, but maybe they will have 2D parts? I'm not sure, ill have to see. I'm glad they remembered Metroid exists though!

Yeah I'm probably gonna get a 2DSXL (and not a switch, funnily). They come out with a new console and I get the latest rev of a 5 year old handheld instead (I mean i've never had a 3DS though)

I quite enjoyed the MercurySteam Castlevania but I feel like this remake will disappoint anyone who played AMQ2...(what the hell was the actual acronym?!) People want sprites.

Also, side/semi-interesting note: Yoshi is using Unreal Engine!

AM2R was quite beautiful, this MercurySteam looks really ugly. Completely wrong kind of game for 3DS because most 3D games look like crap on 3DS. As a 3D enabled 2D graphics game this would've been a mindblowingly good looking game.

MercurySteam's history is also filled with not that good games and also games that I personally have not been intrerested in that much.

On 6/12/2017 at 7:25 AM, Merus said:

So the publisher, Raw Fury, has responded: 

Brace for impact.

Holy shit, I don't want to reread what I wrote in that thread because I sort of defended the guy, but he definitely wasn't apologizing in that thread. What was weird was I got a PM after where he told me to stop responding to it but he was upset someone said he was associated with the holocaust denier as he himself did not know this and removed that person from Twitter, as he (Tim) is Jewish. Found it weird he didn't want to publicly say that.

Anyway, I figured he wasn't really like that anymore, as I checked his Twitter last year at some point and he seemed to have had a turning point sometime after the terrorist attack in Paris. At least that was my assumption. But well... looks like there's still some bullshit with him upon reading more of this thread. What else did he say that was transphobic?

Also I don't know how to feel about BG&E2. I have played every Ancel directed and designed game to the bone. So much Rayman. But I felt burned by his iOS cash grab Rayman Adventures and the fact that BG&E2 is some online streaming world and Ubisoft has this idea of putting out Games as a Service from now on makes me worried it's just going to be an unfinished thingswith tons of microtransactions and grinding. That's not why I love the first game.

Also the tone seems off, not sure why it jumped up a rating but I'm not against any of that I suppose if it's executed well. I'm just guessing the cliffhanger won't be touched upon because now it's a prequel even though it has '2' in the title. It's fucking pretty and well animated though.

But since there's no gameplay footage and we've been treated to prerendered trailers before and only last year they said they were in preproduction, this seriously could be another 3-5 years if not cancelled again. I was hoping I'd feel happier about this news but instead my feelings are pretty mixed. I'm now actually worried that WiLD won't happen, which looked pretty neat.

That Rabbids + Mario game looks so much better than it has any fucking right to be. I'm kind of excited for it. I love Rabbids Go Home even though I'm not fan of them in general. (I am still bummed that Rayman 4 became a minigame collection).

Imagine if the Rabbids were being led by Waluigi.

Nintendo could make a LOT of money if they allowed amiibos to unlock other characters that people could swap out the Rabbids for.

The original trailer for Rayman Legends had amiibo support to unlock Rabbids in game but I guess that never worked out. Maybe again?

Surely I can't be the only one thinking that Super Mario Odyssey looked rough? New Donk City has all the appearance of an early build with placeholder graphics - I couldn't believe my eyes. I am ALL for the weird stuff, make it as weird as you can, but I never expected Nintendo to make it look this unfinished. Just look at those skyscraper levels (tagged below)! With a release date of October I have a hard time believing they'll tweak any of this anymore. Maybe it'll be better in person, so I guess I'll wait for the post-E3 event to play it end of June.

The E3 presentation was quite meh. Apart from Samus Returns, which looked like a ton of fun, there wasn't a whole lot in there. Cheap reveals of titles (Metroid Prime 4) and mentions like a Pokémon Switch game we'll hear more about in a year don't exactly get my heart pumping. More upgrades (Yoshi, Kirby) and announcements brought with fanfare that really weren't that interesting (name and footage for the Zelda DLC). The treehouse presentation afterwards consisted mostly of slumped people talking, though the footage was at least interesting there.

Now that I think about it, there was something strange about the Nintendo presentation. They made a whole deal about Reggie coming in, blue-screened, and his environment suddenly disappearing. I think he made one more appearance after that, but did I miss something or did it never lead to anything?

Basically, the things I am most exited for in terms of the Switch this E3 came from Ubisoft. Mario + Rabbids - I'd never have guessed that!

2 hours ago, Roderick said:

Surely I can't be the only one thinking that Super Mario Odyssey looked rough? New Donk City has all the appearance of an early build with placeholder graphics

The little skyscraper bonus-level looks really sparse, but the rest of New Donk City looked amazing IMO. Tons of good attention to detail (like the stoplights being question blocks!) and just a really nice, weird aesthetic. I would definitely not call it rough, at least that wasn't my impression after seeing the three different worlds demo'ed.

I had the same reaction to Odyssey last time but I enjoyed what we saw this year. Besides that, Nintendo's video felt slim. Xenoblade didn't interest me, FE Warriors didn't show any gameplay, we'd already seen Rabbids. Epic Yarn aside, Kirby games do nothing for me. Yoshi looked cute, very much in the Woolly World mould. Rocket League is great news, but Winter?!? Prime 4 was a logo, so that's a 2019 game at the earliest. Pokemon was a dude saying we're doing a proper Pokemon - 2020? Zelda was nice but a known quantity. Arms & Splatoon were appropriately brief.

It was adequate, and I'm sure Smash will get its own Direct, but I wonder why they didn't save their Online details for this. Maybe they'll bleed out some more things over the next couple of days a la Return of Samus, which i think is smart. But re. the Spotlight, that fleeting Metroid logo did a LOT of work propping it up.

Edit. And jeez, what was up with Reggie's script. I half expectedly it to fade to a b&w close-up and

him start spouting random abstract nouns like a Calvin Klein ad.

"Fate."

"Challenge."

"Victory."

"Games. By Nintendo."

"Without a battle... where's the fun?" I don't know, Reggie, perhaps in any of the million ways you can play games without a battle element? Pack up Firewatch, guys, it's just no fun without a battle.

BigJKO, I hope so! Maybe when I'll see more of New Donk City, it won't be so bad. It's just - grey, muddy skyscrapers formed the first fifteen minutes of the Treehouse demo, which isn't a great first impression.

I NEED SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY RIGHT NOW

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

GIVE IT TO ME

WHERE IS IT

I NEED TO PLAY IT

IT IS THE PERFECT VIDEO GAME