Cordeos

E3 2017

55 minutes ago, antikewl said:

The best thing about the Xbox One X is that it abbreviates to XB1X.

No it's literally XBOX but you got most of the way there

2 hours ago, Twig said:

y'all can't kill my joy with your cynicism!

I'm cynical because I don't dare hope that BG&E2 will be actually worth the wait.

So Wolfenstein is being protested by Nazis upset that you shoot Nazis in Wolfenstein games. We're through the looking glass, people.

Yeah, I never thought I'd live to see the day where shooting nazis is somehow seen as objectionable by anyone.

if it's any consolation i don't believe for a second that bg&e2 is ever coming out

but that trailer was fucking good

Wtf was that Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer? I didn't get the feel of the BG&E IP at all. Unnecessary swearing and all that. Online systems, what? Where's the real BG&E?

I mean the city looked amazing. It was a heavy Fifth Element like world, but I totally was put off by the swearing monkey guy. There's an interestingly lot cleavage shots in the trailer so that's a bit of a departure from the tone of the first game. It seemed like it tried so hard to be "a cool as fuck yo mothafucker!" trailer. The city and the space was cool, the characters not. Also if it's not a proper single player game then I'm not interested. I have no time for some forced co-op adventuring in a heavily online connected game.

I have no problem with it being a prequel, Jade was awesome as was Pey'j, but at least according to the initial artwork Ancel released, Pey'j will be in the game, but as a young pig. Also didn't the weird slob moustache pig in the beginning of the trailer say "Pey'j..." to the golden pig item?

Still, like with Shenmue 3, I don't believe for a second that BG&E2 is coming out still for at least three years. I can't give up on hope, Michel Ancel has never made a bad game. I didn't exactly like the trailer reveal, but since this was just a animated trailer instead of gameplay and they are supposed to even after all these years be just in preproduction phase so he has time to change many things.

This was a funny comment on the Eurogamer comments about Ubisoft :

Watched Far Cry 5 trailer - "Boom motherfuckers"
Watched BG&E2 trailer - "Bang Bang motherfuckers"

I was half expecting "Its-a-Me, Motherfuckers" while watching Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

I assume Hillys is another planet in the solar system because it better be. Hillys is probably my favourite game world.

Haven't picked up any of this gen's consoles, but this might be the thing that gets me to do it:

11 hours ago, Gormongous said:

As referenced on the previous page, he made transphobic and anti-identitarian comments two months ago, so I doubt he's changed at all. He just has a game coming out and is willing to make a "sorry you were offended" apology to make people feel okay about buying it.

Absolutely. I felt a bit icky when Quinn tweeted a never forgive/never forget yesterday, but there's plenty reason to assume the developer isn't at all a changed man. So, no, as cool as it looks and as much as I love the genre. It's only the second game I ever 'boycotted' because of the developer's political leanings, but yeah, I'll give it a pass.

5 hours ago, Kolzig said:

Wtf was that Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer? I didn't get the feel of the BG&E IP at all. Unnecessary swearing and all that. Online systems, what? Where's the real BG&E?

That's my question. The answer may be: Lost in Ubisoft's greed. I didn't mind the swearing at all – the original was pretty dark in places, despite the colorful environments; I never thought of it as a game for kids, and I still believe that's the fundamental misunderstanding that ruined sales when the game came out in 2003. So swearing, hey, it wouldn't fit Jade but why wouldn't it fit other characters. And that trailer... it's beautiful. Wonderful. Really, really cool. It's the info they published around that wonderful trailer that makes me puke.

I was into the BG&E2 idea for the characters Jade and Pey'J, and because of the gameplay mechanics Zelda plus wildlife+investigative photography. Instead we're getting "GTA in space". Online functionality whether we want it or not. They're pulling an Elite Dangerous on BG&E fans. That's just ... opportunist, sick Ubisoft© crap. 

And Ancel has been shown to toe the company line for ages ever since they tried to blackmail Sony and Microsoft into a new console generation by siccing the BG&E fans on them. :(

A bit confused about the Shadow of the Colossus remake. Why does it exist? There is a beautiful, eminently playable HD version that wanted for nothing. I mean, I see the improvements here, I just don't understand why you'd go to that length and not just make a follow-up?

I loved the BG&E2 trailer. I mean, look, of course it's going to be a different game. The novel thing about BG&E back then was that it was a functional Zelda clone with a lot of charm and a really cool photography mechanic. You'd be sorely disappointed if they just reproduced that ten years later. I do agree that there's a tonal shift motherfuckerrrrr, but I certainly had a stupid grin on my face seeing that monkey, and it doesn't actually feel that different from rastafarian rhinos, to be honest. This actually gives me hope that BG&E2 will be a solid game on its own instead of a pointless endeavor in nostalgia. Regardless: props to Ancel for allowing his vision for that world to keep up with modern expectations.

The toys-to-life scifi game, that was briefly teased in that Watch Dogs 2 'steal a trailed from fake Ubisoft' mission, looked awesome. I hope the gameplay is good too, but it's too early to say anything about that. The designs are great, the colors really do it for me.

As for AC: Origins - I was briefly enthused by the Egyptian setting. Then they showed some gameplay and nope, I apparently have still had my fill of infiltrating mansions and temples in a way that's never quite stealthy or interesting enough. Assassin's Creed fatigue still in full swing, just by watching that trailer.

15 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

Microsoft had plenty of stuff. Stuff,  but nothing that makes me need an Xbox, X or S. If one came out of a Christmas cracker, fabulous! But they never seem to have that one irresistible game - it's the same every year. Backwards compatibility is a crowd pleaser. Theoretically I could have the best of everything MS have ever done in one smallish box. That's attractive...at $250. But then I'd know i was missing out on the 'proper' one.

Related question: who here actually owns an Xbone?

I own one and it is my main source of playing games (I don't own a PC, I have a Vita but only use it when I am traveling).

I have to agree with you, there was nothing that just screamed at me 'Holy shit! Look at this!'. But, there was lots of stuff that I was happy that was there. Every Wednesday I get together with 3-4 friends and we play multiplayer games so State of Decay 2 is (hopefully)going to be great. Ooblets looked adorable and that Anime Dark Souls looked interesting.

Again, nothing said I need an Xbox One, at all, but as an owner there was a sigh of relief that the library being promised - mainly for this year and early next year - looks solid and entertaining and not just Gears and Forza.

(I just saw the actual gameplay of Mario + Rabbids and, well, that actually looks good! I can imagine playing and enjoying that! Just don't watch the cinematic trailer, which is garbage.)

Thoughts on Ubisoft. Not getting excited about BG&E2, looks so different to the original that I don't see the point other than to use the bit of brand recognition it has. It's trying way too hard to be bad ass. Ass Creed Origins looks fine, I guess. Nothing new really. Far Cry 5 looked like a lot of fun. Mario & Rabbids was the highlight for me, I'll be getting a Switch before it's released. Skull & Bones looks nice but it's not my kind of game. South Park still looks good.

Sony, disappointed at the lack of release dates and the ones we did get are mainly 2018 games. Don't see the point of SOTC remake either, make something new please. Spider-Man looks cool if a bit heavy on the QTEs. God of War and Uncharted both look stunning. Days Gone is ticking all the right boxes but I'm just not getting excited over it for some reason. Detroit looks cool, despite the story looking incredibly trite. 

@Kolzig My flat mate said the same thing re: the xxxxxxx motherfuckers lines.

EDIT: Oh and Hidden Agenda looks really interesting, looking forward to playing that with some friends.

Really enjoying this E3. Highlights Wolfenstein, OG Xbox Back Compat, Cuphead. That Mario Rabids game looks like an acid trip. Anthem: Why Andromeda Sucked looked awesome as well. Ready for some New Donk City today.

hype list so far:

+++++ Spider-Man

++++ Tacoma

+++ Shadow of the Colossus (I missed all previous incarnations)

+++ Hidden Agenda

++ Monster Hunter World

++ Battletech

? Beyond Good and Evil 2 (still need to play the first one)

? Anthem

----- Life Is Strange: Before The Storm

Hoping Nintendo brings the heat today

Yeah, everyone is saying Spider-man looks really good and I'm tentatively excited. Though probably console-only?

Spider-Man is Sony produced so yes, looks like it's PS4 only.

So I actually watched the Wolfenstein trailer, and boy is it refreshing to see a first person shooter that has time for humans. Even the scenes you've seen a dozen times before, like where BJ tries to convince people pointing guns at him that he's not an enemy, feel like it's rooted in character in a way that's so rare. And then there's just beautiful ideas like the guy dropping acid and having a cartoon gecko appear, or a guy with a malfunctioning robot arm fail to eat a biscuit while his commander trails off in horror.

It's been a pretty light E3, but I'm still down for some more Ori, I'll be interested in that Ubisoft piracy game if it's got any kind of singleplayer, and of course Tacoma. Willing to give Spiderman a chance if it's an Arkham Asylum kind of thing - no idea how that'd work but I'm willing to see. (i initially wrote Arkham Horror, which is an entirely different thing which I have no idea how it'd work but I'm willing to see.)

Thoughts on Ubisoft. Not getting excited about BG&E2, looks so different to the original that I don't see the point other than to use the bit of brand recognition it has. It's trying way too hard to be bad ass

Weirdly, I didn't have that reaction - it's a chav monkey of course he's going to say 'fuck' a lot - but I also came in assuming that Ubisoft would crush what was interesting about the first game. I don't know if they realise how potent the photography mechanic was in drawing attention to background details and thereby making the world feel like it existed outside of the needs of the game. Jane Ng's comments on Twitter about how shallow the reference pool was - the signs were using random Chinese characters and the chav monkey is basically Monkey King - also bothers me. Wolfenstein shouldn't feel like it has a deeper and more thought-out world than Beyond Good & Evil, I feel.

(Don't tell me that BG&E was ultimately fairly shallow and substituted unexpected references for actual worldbuilding because you're probably right but 2003 was a simpler time)

Not bad so far. I have enjoyed most of what i've seen.

Xbox is showing alot, One X sounds promising but that price.. I think alot of people will overlook it. Especially with PS4 dominating and being cheaper. Some neat looking games at their conference, all of which however are playable on other platforms or PC so another reason to not get an One X and just play the games on PC.

I thought Sony's conference was just okay... it was just a video playlist. I am glad its all about the games but it had little personality. At least Xbox had some cool colourful moments and some indies. The exclusive Sony games looks great, but every single one is a 2018 release.. At least Xbox are this year. Don't care for VR so that didn't interest me.. 

Some take aways:

Cuphead looks great. Got a release date, and its apparently not just a boss rush game anymore so I am interested.

Not super into MInecraft but improved graphics and unifying all the platforms is neat

The Last Night is my pixel art Blade Runner dream come true, I hope

Ooblets looks really cute, shame on the 2018 release

Dishonored DLC is awesome. More Dishonored is awesome

Loved Wolfenstein TNO and TOB will get this new one for sure

No Splinter Cell = Booooooo

Lets see what Nintendo have later this afternoon.

5 hours ago, Roderick said:

I loved the BG&E2 trailer. I mean, look, of course it's going to be a different game. The novel thing about BG&E back then was that it was a functional Zelda clone with a lot of charm and a really cool photography mechanic. You'd be sorely disappointed if they just reproduced that ten years later. I do agree that there's a tonal shift motherfuckerrrrr, but I certainly had a stupid grin on my face seeing that monkey, and it doesn't actually feel that different from rastafarian rhinos, to be honest. This actually gives me hope that BG&E2 will be a solid game on its own instead of a pointless endeavor in nostalgia. Regardless: props to Ancel for allowing his vision for that world to keep up with modern expectations.

PREACH!

I sure hope Cuphead's stages have improved over the demo I saw a couple of years ago, where they felt like they'd been built with no thought to what players are going to actually be experiencing. Plop some platforms down, scatter some enemies, done!

Okay, actually the most exciting news for me is a Monster Hunter game coming to PC.

METROID FUCKING PRIME 4! That title's all we get, but fuck if it isn't exciting.

Also Mario Odyssey is deliciously weird. It's one big-ass bowl of all the weird shit Mario Team could come up with. Everything! I love it!

:tup::tup::tup: