Moncolin

[Release] The Curious Case of the Rhode Island Reader

Released : https://moncolin.itch.io/the-curious-case

Hello everyone,

I'm going with "The Curious Case of the Rhode Island Reader", and because I really wanted to do something with the "Limited Vocabulary" diversifier, I decided to make a game where you just... turn pages.

Basically it's going to be a short, story driven game with some light puzzle elements (to pretend it's actually a game) where you advance time by flipping the screen as you would a book.

TCCOTRIR_01.gif.8530797c3a013a59831ba2428d025d90.gif

I spent most of my time trying to get the "time moving when flipping pages" thing working (I used this cool base for it) and re-learning Unity.

Everything here is a place holder because I don't actually have a story yet, which is starting to get a little bit scary. So that's the next order of business. Probably something about an Island? Having never been to neither the Rhode Island in the US, nor the one in Greece, it's probably gonna be my own wacky version.

I expect I'm going to run out of time pretty soon, so I will try to keep whatever this is pretty short.

2 hours ago, Moncolin said:

I'm going with "The Curious Case of the Rhode Island Reader", and because I really wanted to do something with the "Limited Vocabulary" diversifier, I decided to make a game where you just... turn pages.

What a rad idea, looking forward to seeing where you end up with it!

So the bad news is that I won't be able to work on my game after today, because life, so I had to cut a bunch of stuff to have a chance to finish it by tomorrow ;_; .

The good news is that I'm pretty close to having something that's could be considered playable :) .

I now have a night and day cycle, a beach and a wizard.

TCCOTRIR_02.gif.82f7ef70f75d64430cce8f399472522e.gif

3 hours ago, Old News Belida said:

Sad to hear you've run out of time, I hope you keep developing the idea!

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

That's a shame that you are out of time because your game has a very cool look.

Thanks a lot. I do plan to keep polishing it after the deadline, for now I'm focused on getting something playable from start to finish.

Love the mechanic. Really looking forward to what this turns into, as long as that spider stays gone!!

Hey, I totally passed the deadline but I did end up finishing the game (and I am pleased to inform you that no spider ended up in the final build).

https://moncolin.itch.io/the-curious-case

It might still be a bit janky here and there, I plan to try and add a little polish during the rest of the week.

It turned out a bit shorter and way sillier that I first intended it to be, I'll let you be the judge of if it is a good thing. In some way I feel like it ended up being more a proof of concept than anything.

Overall this has been a pretty fun experience, definitely makes me want to try more of this game dev biz. And I'm looking forward to start playing everyone's games.

I just downloaded it on itch.

After the start button and a blinking yellow arrow(which disappears after clicking on it for a bit) I only have a black screen with some oceanic sounds in the background.

Are you using RenderTextures? I once had a problem where they stopped working randomly and had to assign them using a script to make sure.

Don't click the yellow arrow, hold and drag as if you were flicking the page over.

Nice little twist, and a neat mechanic.

Thanks for checking it out.

I am indeed using RenderTexture, but it is already assigned by a script.

I uploaded a new version on itch that might solve your problem, but it's hard to say without knowing where it comes from. Plus I'm not really a programmer. Is anybody else having this issue?

@Moncolin I just checked out the new upload, still only a black void. I also couldn't download it via the itch app, I think you forgot to mark the platforms the file is for.

The RenderTexture issue happened to me a long time ago, not sure what exactly was the problem back then...