Sign in to follow this  
elvaq

[Dev Log] Phaedrus 2010: Countdown To Tears

Howdy! I didn't want to post until I was sure I could actually put something together so.... check out this GIF!

phaedrus1.gif

What's going on there? Why, it's a reality show simulation & management game of course! A little while back I binged hard on Terrace House (check it out on netflix) and so I kind of wanted to do something Sims-like to help teach myself some AI principles. @Mythalore described it on slack as "Big Brother Fortress" and that's just about perfect. Here's the pitch I drafted up before getting started:

Phaedrus 2010: Countdown to Tears is a top-down, grid-based management game that puts you in control of a reality show starring 8 troublesome Earth teens as they try to live & play together in the intergalactically-famous Phaedrus house while working towards their dreams. Each teen has their own schedule to keep and social links to develop with their new pals, can they juggle their jobs, ambitions, and these new relationships? More importantly, can you the producer inject enough drama to keep the season alive long enough to save your job for when we inevitably move on to the next batch of teens!

Not sure where the outer space angle came from but I'm running with it if I can get it in the game itself. From here, I need to build out the activity/waypoint findinga little bit more but I'm happy to have the basics of pathfinding and a set of needs in there already.

Wanna help??

Does anyone have interest in doing art, sound, or music for the game? You can sort of see the direction I'm looking for in the color palette of the placeholder art but there's a lot we can do on all fronts if folks are motivated and into the idea. Drop me a line and I can get folks hooked up with the Trello and source control for the project

This looks interesting.

How will you actually interact with the Testos? In the gif it looks like they are on auto-pilot.

Yep, you won't be able to directly order around the teens. At the end of each day (and there will possibly be some interrupt abilities) you'll be able to set directives or spend cash to improve the house or throw a party which would help your ratings, especially if something dramatic happens during the special event...