drierplease

[RELEASED] Odds and Ends

I'm jumping in here a little late, but I thought it would be worth while to at least share a little of what I am doing for Wizard Jam!

I will admit, I have been a little nervous to post anything because all of the projects I am seeing on here are really cool! You all are intimidatingly good! So please, forgive my amateur attempts at game development.  

My planned game is a kind of homage to Twin Peaks, mostly due to the fact that I am trying to evoke some kind of Twin Peaksy, Red Room inspired vibe. I have used Unity before, but never really made anything with it, so I'm also using this as an opportunity to learn the engine! That said, any tips are appreciated :)

Anyways, here is what I have so far:

workspace.thumb.PNG.1a141d401453f2452d88df7d33be3c0e.PNG

My level so far.

mask.thumb.PNG.b7ff92d9d04272edebb9c673d3f77132.PNG

My cool mask.

maskPush.thumb.gif.c5da8b9b3433c57ec1cf842f8fd0a06e.gif

And some sweet, sweet game play.

I am mostly cobbling things together so I have a reasonable chance of finishing something in time!

After approaching the mask the floor rotates and tips the player into falling straight down into a tunnel with star textures on the walls so it looks like you're falling through space. At the bottom of the tunnel will be a replica of the red room, which I will struggle to make next! Hopefully I can scrounge up some assets that will make it look close enough to the real deal, or make something crappy myself ;) 

If I've learned one thing so far it's that making games is the world's hardest game.

But it is a lot of fun! Thanks for all the inspiration, I'll try to update this if I get a room up and running!

I'm working on the Red Room and couldn't think of what the ceiling looks like... so I did some digging and could find nothing! I don't think the ceiling is ever revealed in the series.

Can anyone confirm or deny this??? Also, I'm open to suggestions as to what the ceiling should look like :) 

I don't think the camera ever looks up in the Red Room. Could you have the red curtains extending semi-infinitely upwards into a black void? That seems kind of right...

It's great you decided to document your progress! I'm looking forward to see what kind of gameplay you'll implement for that kind of atmosphere.

On 2017-6-7 at 9:41 PM, drierplease said:

I'm working on the Red Room and couldn't think of what the ceiling looks like... so I did some digging and could find nothing! I don't think the ceiling is ever revealed in the series.

Can anyone confirm or deny this??? Also, I'm open to suggestions as to what the ceiling should look like :) 

Perhaps @Jake or @Chris would know?

20 hours ago, Taupsi said:

It's great you decided to document your progress! I'm looking forward to see what kind of gameplay you'll implement for that kind of atmosphere.

Thanks! After seeing the word gameplay it got me thinking... the player doesn't really do much other than walk around and trigger things right now. I may add some puzzle element, but I kind of like the idea of just walking around a surreal environment while weird things happen around you! We'll see how much time I have to add on to this!

On 6/7/2017 at 2:05 PM, Atlantic said:

I don't think the camera ever looks up in the Red Room. Could you have the red curtains extending semi-infinitely upwards into a black void? That seems kind of right...

I think I will try and do it that way! Right now the ceiling is just a plane with a star texture on it, but I don't really like it. 

Alright, dev log part two!

I made a looong tunnel for the player to fall through, down into the Red Room.  I put star textures on the walls that stretch out as the tunnel gets deeper so it looks like space is stretching by! It looks pretty good!

world.thumb.PNG.827f81530de18af8ae22d1874bb1971e.PNG

At the bottom is the red room.

redRoom.thumb.PNG.aeb52a603be3eaf13b7b86c21e2d31df.PNG

I don't love the lighting, but that is something I will work on more if I have time.

props.thumb.PNG.1df16ed1cb43ca5fb5f1cc83d3153fd2.PNG

I put most of the furnishings in. They aren't as close to the show as I would have liked, but I'm no artist! I got these from open game art sites. 

I've been pleasantly surprised to find that scripting in Unity is really not bad at all! I thought it would be a pain, but there are a lot of really useful built in functions that move things along pretty quickly. In most of my experience programming bugs are always an infuriating thing, but when they happen making games they are usually fun! Usually.

falling.thumb.gif.7693fa690d39754eb81b1ebf3de7783a.gif

Sometimes your furniture just falls through the floor! I also have a placeholder cylinder in the corner of the room (it will eventually be a tree) that is going to slowly grow larger while moving to the player, and when it makes contact I want the screen to go black, then have some classic Twin Peaks strobe lights while the furniture goes crazy.

Anyway, my next steps are as follows: 

- Mess with lighting changes after the tree touches the player

- Make the walls fall away so player is just standing on chevron floor in darkness

- Have a cheesy owl fly at the player

- Add sound effect and ambient sounds (I'm excited for this part)

- Whatever else I have time for!

Wait, is the furniture physics enabled or is a script moving it around?

If it is, does it need to be? If you want it be able to be pushed around and stuff you can set the Rigidbody to kinematic and then toggle that off as soon as a collision with the player is detected, for example.

But stuff falling through the floor is pretty mysterious, so it fits the theme. The furniture looks great btw! There appears to be some issue with the lamps(normals reversed/only one layer of faces on a thin surface?) though.

Wow this is rad. 

I dont think there there is a ceiling - it seems to just be curtains up into the darkness, as suggested in this thread. 

On 6/9/2017 at 2:33 PM, Zirrrus said:

Wait, is the furniture physics enabled or is a script moving it around?

If it is, does it need to be? If you want it be able to be pushed around and stuff you can set the Rigidbody to kinematic and then toggle that off as soon as a collision with the player is detected, for example.

But stuff falling through the floor is pretty mysterious, so it fits the theme. The furniture looks great btw! There appears to be some issue with the lamps(normals reversed/only one layer of faces on a thin surface?) though.

Oh, I fixed the furniture. I was messing around with making the furniture physics enabled and when I first attached everything they all fell through the floor. But it works now! 

Dev log... final?!?! 

It looks like everything I am adding from here on is polish. I have to submit early (Friday), because I will be camping soon!

I want to see if I can mess with lighting a bit more... It's just not quite as dramatic as I'd like it to be. I also need to do a little bit of audio mixing just to make sure everything is in order there. I finally got sounds in, which I was excited to do! As soon as I did that the game feels like a 100% real game. 

My code and assets are in disarray, but my first game is almost done. Wow! I am excited to finish this and start a new game :)  

Good luck to everyone finishing up your games. I can't wait to play them and hope you'll give mine a shot!

credits.PNG.827a968c17c73adfb2551b931b4cc6dd.PNG

redRoom2.PNG

This was really fun and surreal trip. Felt quite Blendo Games-y. :)

Agreed, this was cool! The start in particular was weirdly affecting. Reminded me of the lodge stuff in the first 2 episodes of the new Twin Peaks, hah.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:32 PM, Henke said:

This was really fun and surreal trip. Felt quite Blendo Games-y. :)

That is probably the best compliment I could get. Thank you!

On 6/23/2017 at 8:56 AM, getinthedamnbox said:

Nice work! I enjoyed the way the music synced up with stuff (falling through the stars, furniture freaking out), and that cheesy owl was a good cheesy owl.

I'm glad you like the cheesy owl! I was glad I got that in there. 

And thanks all for playing! It means a lot :)

Yes! I enjoyed visiting The Black Lodge for a bit! Well done and great atmosphere.

Something about it reminds me of the Dark Engine too (the original Thief games, System Shock 2)....the big surreal spaces and sound maybe.