FartSatchel

[Released] The Wizard

My last idea failed due to mechanical limitations (Hold On To Your BUTTONS) so I'm trying something new. Probably in over my head but we accept late submissions until the thumbs get around to the Wizard Jam 4 Part 2 stream right?

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Game Concept

Sorta the friendly fire chaos of magica but with a more defensive gameplay. Grid based wave horde mode where players put down elemental (fire/ice/lightning/cleanse) runes. Walking over runes puts a debuff (periodic stuns/slow/inability to attack) on the player/enemy but no damage. Having 2 debuffs causes the debuffs to fuse and cause a damaging effect (poison/explosion/curse). Runes stay indefinitely (or a really long time) and the only way to clear them (so the player can move around unhindered) is to overlap different element runes to prematurely detonate them. Cleanse is a huge AoE that heals players and enemies as well as clear rune tiles inside it's radius, and prevents other elemental ties from being put inside of it for some time. All enemies will be kinda slow to give player time to put down runes.

Each element's runes will be different shapes so you can't ever fully get rid of all rune tiles and they get more abundant as the game goes on.

ie. X  X       X

X       XXX

X  X       X

I'm thinking of having to protect a teleportation portal or having to pick up mana orbs from dead enemies drop to make players have to run around, potentially running over runes and being hoisted by their own petards.

Currently not sure if player/enemy movements should be grid based too.

Minimal Viable Product

• Terrible graphics
  • 3 elements plus cleanse
  • 1 plain level
  • 2 normal enemy types
    • Grounded enemies that step on runes
    • Flying enemies so you have to detonate runes to damage them

Stretch Goals

In order:

• 2-4 player co-op
  • Environmental tiles that can interact with runes (tall grass, puddles, ect)
  • Elemental immune enemy types
  • Boss enemy types
  • Graphical improvements
  • More elements and combinations

Everything still looks horrible but oh well.

Added the rune detonation stuff, and made heavily discounted Bastion floor tiles.

Screenshot 3.gif

Screenshot 4.gif

Screenshot 2.gif

After a week of job interviews, I've managed to squeeze just enough hours on the last weekend to finish this off.

I've never done sound before and managed to do what I can sound-wise in the last 2 hours before WJ5 ended so sorry headphone users.

Managed to just get everything on my minimal list finished off and even managed to get a randomly generated floor going. This was my first time doing sound, scene switching, and UI. Would love to add in local co-op if I have time/enough people think it's worthwhile.

Had loads of fun and actually learnt way more than I thought I would. 5/7, would jam again.

Screenshot 5.gif

Screenshot_6.gif

TheWizard.rar

Nice retro graphics and sound, and it seems like you've got some interesting systems going here. It might be because I never play these types of games, but I didn't understand what what going on!

3 hours ago, Ben X said:

Nice retro graphics and sound, and it seems like you've got some interesting systems going here. It might be because I never play these types of games, but I didn't understand what what going on!

It's probably because I left the tutorial till the last 5 hrs of the jam.

Thanks though!

Seems like the systems could combine in super interesting ways (reminds me of Starseed Pilgrim), but I was terrible at figuring them out. I appreciated that it was forgiving, though, so I could just experiment. I'd be curious to watch someone more skilled play this.

The audio and graphics both work well, I think. There's a consistent style. If you haven't already tried it, you can switch off anti-aliasing and it should get rid of those tiny black lines that appear sometimes. (This was a Sunday-morning-4am discovery for me on my own game.)