Filip Nilsson

[Dev Log] Unsubscribe - No Advertising, Please

The objective of the game is to delivering advertisement pamphlets by mail to people who don't want it. The player must travers a small neighbourhood and deliver several pamphlets right to peoples’ doorsteps. The way there is somewhat hazardous, with dogs and robot mowers in the way.

The game looks and plays like a classic Zelda game. The player can walk in eight directions, talk to NPCs and must complete missions for them to progress.

As I am planning to use a lot of the assets and behaviours from this game in a larger project I am working on, everything will take place in one level. The player can walk around and is only limited by "hard gates". For example, will a street be blocked by a police car, which can be moved if the player helps a suspicious individual in the neighbourhood.

Because I want to use the assets later, the world is built to be flexible. The world consists of several sectors. These are one screen in Zelda games. Each sector also holds a set number of squares. To continue the analogy with Zelda, Link takes up one square in the classic games. Each square has a list of possible assets it can hold, for example a hedge or a mailbox. The parameters of the world can be changed and everything within it will follow. If the world scales, the assets will follow and I won’t have to align everything again. By building the world this way I hope it will save time when the detail designing of the level starts.

2.JPG.5c7df9054d7f832f5ea30e3c27a98769.JPG

Each number represents a sector. The lines between them divides the NavMesh, with confines NPCs to one sector.

1.JPG.155a01d6da83df06c0ce01c89a1c8fe3.JPG

The parameters for the game world.

3.png.a7e523603448c9e09a64ab7125ef64c5.png

Each square's content can be changed.

4.JPG.7f5b4e3c204e71bf3ef9211cfd995a8b.JPG

Sector one with empty squares.

5.JPG.6ac1a9a14b2fcb48813b6e8b145c6667.JPG

Sector one with some squares with hedges.

Sounds like a great idea for a game. Have you considered using a 3rd-party level editor? It might make designing levels easier.

4 hours ago, One8Two8 said:

Sounds like a great idea for a game. Have you considered using a 3rd-party level editor? It might make designing levels easier.

The larger game am working on demands that the world can be altered by the player. I am not sure that if I use a 3rd-party level editor, that this will be possible.