Sign in to follow this  
FartSatchel

[Dead] Hold on to your B.U.T.T.O.N

Long time, first time. Be gentle.

Game Concept

Twister but on the keyboard. 2-4 players. Players need to hold onto the old keys plus each player take turns having to hold onto a new key randomly selected by the game. First to fail to hold onto all their button loses.

Minimal Viable Product

All text based interface

Stretch Goals

90's game show themed graphics/effects/sound

Edited by FartSatchel
Hardware limitations killed the game

The game's logic was incredibly easy, finished minimum viable product in 2 hours.

But it turns out that keyboards aren't built 1 switch per key and the keys are grouped somehow. Meaning you can't press every key and have the computer register it. This game literally can't work.

Still learned to finally use Unity's UI system. I've attached the .exe if anyone wants to play with the game.

Hold_On_To_Your_BUTTONS.rar

42 minutes ago, FartSatchel said:

The game's logic was incredibly easy, finished minimum viable product in 2 hours.

But it turns out that keyboards aren't built 1 switch per key and the keys are grouped somehow. Meaning you can't press every key and have the computer register it. This game literally can't work.

Still learned to finally use Unity's UI system. I've attached the .exe if anyone wants to play with the game.

Hold_On_To_Your_BUTTONS.rar

I tried the game out and it seems like it would be fun with friends. The issue you are referring to is keyboard ghosting. I recommend looking at the microsoft article on the topic. It includes a nice visualization of the keyboard to show where it ghosts.

EDIT:

My keyboard has some decent anti-ghosting, but for normal keyboards you could, in theory, provide a test which would see if the user's keyboard has significant ghosting. In case of a simpler keyboard, it would probably be fairly easy to write a test to calculate its layout. If you know the layout, then you can stop the program from telling the user to press keys which would cause it to ghost. I guess alternatively you could include a skip button, but that might be hard to press while playing.

11 hours ago, One8Two8 said:

I tried the game out and it seems like it would be fun with friends. The issue you are referring to is keyboard ghosting. I recommend looking at the microsoft article on the topic. It includes a nice visualization of the keyboard to show where it ghosts.

Thanks. Yea, it looks like this can't work on a hardware level and there's no getting around it.

Time to roll another podcast i guess