RubixsQube

[Release] The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of

Better Than Dear Esther and Kentucky Route Zero combined.

Very good voice-acting (reminded me of Kevin McDonald

and Amy Acker

) and a really cool mix of visuals that combine the end of Contact with Sam And Max Hit The Road along with a ton of other stuff, and comedy that lands the majority of the time.

I really enjoyed this, and I'd love to play a deeper version of it where you can go in the buildings, open wardrobes etc to find more weird stuff!

Questions:

I got to the radio tower and the game ended, but it looked like there was a light bridge with a switch up there too, did I miss out on that? Also, was there anything at the end of the credits? I exited before they finished...

@Ben X

Thanks for playing my game! I'm glad you found it funny, and hearing both your comparisons and your comment that the comedy lands "the majority of the time" actually means a lot, coming from you! 

Anyway, I think that I may go back through and add some more little things here and there, I wanted a version that had the bulk of the gameplay in place before the deadline. Here are the VERY SPOILERY answers to your questions:

Spoiler

There are, at the moment, I believe, 14 audio triggers across the island, but I only required 11 for completing the game, because a few of them are a little bit trickier to find. So, if you made it through the game and didn't cross the bridge, you should at least pop back in and futz around there, if you'd like. I don't know what else you might have missed, but the big lime green ball is something you can push around, as a hint, and also, as another hint, maybe you tried to leave the island? 

Finally, I didn't put anything after the credits (but I should), and in fact, the game's credits have a bug right now in the Mac verison at least where you can't actually interact with the PLAY AGAIN or QUIT buttons that appear, so I have to go and fix that. I like the credits because my g/f wrote the song on Saturday night on this cool 80s moog synth she has. 

This is very weird and good. The narration sort of reminded me also of Will Ferrel's Megamind. 

The funny bits were funny, the visual bits were lovely, and the menus were tight. 11/10 would play again. :tup:

This is so cool! Filled to the brim with good ideas. New Age Garth Merenghi mixed with eye-popping 3D polygonal shapes - it's a very inspired mix.

Lovely to see such a nice outcome, seeing that this is one of your first Unity projects. Funny, surprising and creative.

To continue the weird VO comparisons, I couldn't stop thinking of John Cale's performance in TVU's "The Gift": https://youtu.be/mI-YiaWDgB4

1 hour ago, brendonsmall said:

This is very weird and good. The narration sort of reminded me also of Will Ferrel's Megamind. 

The funny bits were funny, the visual bits were lovely, and the menus were tight. 11/10 would play again. :tup:

1 hour ago, pdotjpg said:

This is so cool! Filled to the brim with good ideas. New Age Garth Merenghi mixed with eye-popping 3D polygonal shapes - it's a very inspired mix.

Lovely to see such a nice outcome, seeing that this is one of your first Unity projects. Funny, surprising and creative.

To continue the weird VO comparisons, I couldn't stop thinking of John Cale's performance in TVU's "The Gift": https://youtu.be/mI-YiaWDgB4

Oh my gosh, thanks to both of you! I really appreciate hearing that people are liking it, and also it's pretty fun to listen to these VO comparisons.

It's the negative-first anniversary of my wedding today, so that clip that plays at the gazebo hit very close to home (and made me laugh). The voice acting was well done---

Spoiler

by both actors! I think that switch was my favorite moment

---and I agree that the humor usually lands. Nice work teaching yourself Unity LIVE ON CAMERA (or, at least, semi-publicly in this forum). That's pretty impressive.

19 minutes ago, getinthedamnbox said:

It's the negative-first anniversary of my wedding today, so that clip that plays at the gazebo hit very close to home (and made me laugh). The voice acting was well done---

---and I agree that the humor usually lands. Nice work teaching yourself Unity LIVE ON CAMERA (or, at least, semi-publicly in this forum). That's pretty impressive.

Thank you! It was super fun to work with Unity, and I was helped a lot by people here in this forum and on the slack chat. That was super great! Also, unlike some of the other engines I used, Unity has an incredibly extensive set of tutorials, and there are a ton more on youtube and in various forums. I wasn't making something super complicated, and once I figured out how to write scripts and pass around variables, it became pretty straightforward to run in a similar way to the other engines I've used. I really liked working with Unity, and it's amazing how many completely-different-looking games in this very jam were also made with the same raw tools. 

The voiceover work and writing in this game are fantastic. I rate this game: Better Than The Witness.