pdotjpg

[Release] Super Hollyweedland

Released: https://pdotjpg.itch.io/super-hollyweedland

===

Idle Thumbs 296: https://www.idlethumbs.net/idlethumbs/episodes/super-hollyweedland

It's going to be a small, chill walking simulator. You'd think the name would warrant something over the top ridiculous, but I had some very calm images come to mind as I was thinking about that title. 

Using this as an opportunity to learn super basic 3D modelling. Really hoping to finish something despite a full time job and lack of gamedev skills.

31vtjWy.gif

Are you gonna stick with that super pixelated, low res with zero antialiasing look? It looks dope!

7 hours ago, root said:

Are you gonna stick with that super pixelated, low res with zero antialiasing look? It looks dope!

I agree, that style does indeed look dope. :tup:

29 minutes ago, brendonsmall said:

I hope the goal of this game is to turn those 'O's into 'E's :)

+1 this, too clever haha

I'm just another person chiming in to say I really like the look of this. It's very "crunchy!"

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Went for the pixelated look for pragmatic reasons - it's good at hiding the simplicity of the visuals while giving it a bit of style.

As expected, had very little motivation to work on this during weekdays after a day of work. The good news is that I'm done with the bare minimum version of two scenes, and the main menu. So it's already at a state where I'll be able to publish something at the end of the jam. Still a toooon of stuff to get done to get anywhere near what I was imagining, though.

Az4n4pU.gif

Spoiler

FbxLNfN.jpg

Aaaand It's done: https://pdotjpg.itch.io/super-hollyweedland

Like I said in the original post, I was learning 3D modelling here. Maya specifically. One thing I didn't manage to come to grips with was rigging and animation, so the end result is a lot more static than I would have liked. It's missing a bunch more stuff I wanted in there, and I wish I had updated this thread more, but overall pretty happy with this. It's just nice to get something out there.

Hope you get a kick out of it. Really looking forward to everyone's finished works.

Great walking simulator! This is really successful at portraying a mild anti-authority vibe, where you can sneak through fences and pull pranks but still have stoned chats with cops. The visual fidelity is really well-pitched as well; it gives you enough sense of geography but still makes everything feel hazy and nostalgic.

The only criticism I'd give is that the second area was a little too dark - took me a while to figure out where I could go.

Thanks to both of you! 

On 6/19/2017 at 0:48 PM, Ben X said:

Great walking simulator! This is really successful at portraying a mild anti-authority vibe, where you can sneak through fences and pull pranks but still have stoned chats with cops. The visual fidelity is really well-pitched as well; it gives you enough sense of geography but still makes everything feel hazy and nostalgic.

The only criticism I'd give is that the second area was a little too dark - took me a while to figure out where I could go.

Really nice comment, thank you! I'm glad you got that vibe - was hoping to capture that hazy, youthful slacker feeling.

Fair point about the second area. I was so reluctant to turn up the lights since it revealed the ugliness of the geometry and how haphazardly thrown together the scene was. Probably pushed it too far.

This game was great. I enjoyed the sparse guitar track throughout, and the echo/fade when the scenes changed. The visuals were just the right amount of chunkiness without being impossible to read. 

Spoiler

YES! I got to live the dream and turn those O's into E's. Also the guitar player on the hollywood sign hill was a nice touch, and that the guitar got louder as you got closer to him. Very good.

The whole audiovisual style was really engrossing and chill indeed. I was expecting just some environments to look at so the small bits with the characters and implied narrative were a nice surprise.

On 18.6.2017 at 11:27 PM, pdotjpg said:

One thing I didn't manage to come to grips with was rigging and animation, so the end result is a lot more static than I would have liked.

Yeah, if you are interested in continuing to work on this, some subtle animations would make the world feel even more interesting.

Others have already said this, but the graphics and mood in this are lovely throughout. @infamous space turtle put it well with "nostalgic mischief vibe." It made me want to go outside and do something unusual but wholesome.

I don't know if the Virginia-style cuts are a deliberate poke at Thumbs (since I remember them discussing those quite a bit a while back), but imagining that was funny to me anyway. They work really well here.

This game has a great style. Got a little stuck in the second area too, though - just wound up blindly rubbing my way forward up the geometry.

Spoiler

Also, A+ use of the FBI splash screen.

This is a really nice vignette; so atmospheric and pleasant! I felt like I could just walk around listening to that music for ages. I liked the scene transitions with the echo-y fade out a lot.