Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 39: The Return, Part 5

I think this episode contains the most uncomfortably sustained moment of ominous ecstasy I've ever seen. Anywhere. 

I just listened to the interview and what stood out to me was exactly that questions line. I may have to dive deeper on David Lynch, 9/11 Conspiracy Theorist, but the underlying theme with Jones seems to be that asking questions is not the same as looking for clues to fit your answers. Emphasis on seeking rather than finding, which will track if the Jacoby arc has him as a huckster giving easy answers and pushing merch.

25 minutes ago, Vegas said:

LYNCH: "there are questions, and I don't have the answers"

JONES: "Is it your instinct?"

LYNCH: "Instinct means I'm hungry and I want to eat. Intuition is the thing."

JONES: "ahh, yes."

So not sure if it's been mentioned here before or what this could even be a hint at, but I read someone elsewhere notice that the names: "Sonny Jim", "Janey-E", and "Dougie" all created an anagram for "Gone my Josie, Annie, Judy" which I thought was kind of interesting at least. 

Two new Oscar nominees in this episode - Candy Clark and Don Murray, the latter with the longest movie career (I think) outside Russ Tamblyn.

6 hours ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

This scene in the bar was so distressing because of how the women were shocked and taken aback, but they neither called for help nor tried to fully break out of the dude's grip. It seemed like they were resigned to the idea that he can get away with this so they just let it happen.

I wonder - is it possible that the scene with Sheriff and wife was sort of the counterpoint to this scene? I felt like virtually every scene that took place in TP this episode was about the community acquiescing: Shelley keeps giving her daughter money, Norma keeps trying to give Shelley sound advice, Sheriff can't stand up to his wife.... the monotony and inability to change.  Reflects the Vegas world, no?

3 hours ago, Jackpeep said:

No, what were they?

The guy at the Bang Bang Bar saying that he was going to f@#$ that girl was reminisant of Bobby Peru in Wild at Heart

The costumes those 3 women wore in Vegas in the scene with Jim Belushi were similar to what Melissa George wore in Mulholland Dr

I loved this (surprise!) It's really settling in now.

- I was so excited to see Norma! Absolutely beaming smile on my face, if big Ed pops up next week I may burst

-Wasnt sure if I was seeing things or not with cooper in the mirror, especially because last episode when Dougie looks in the mirror I actually did imagine an effect that made his reflection look younger. So good. 

-what the heck is going on. Lots of things are happening

-hated the gross guy in the bar

-the guy in the office being converted to green tea was absolutely delightful. 

I am enjoying vacant shuffling Cooper, it's really funny and sad but it's very strange how everyone just goes along with it.  Was he just half a person before due to being a creation of Doppeldale or whatever he is? 

Ooh the episode is up...

7 minutes ago, Gattman said:

The guy at the Bang Bang Bar saying that he was going to f@#$ that girl was reminisant of Bobby Peru in Wild at Heart

The costumes those 3 women wore in Vegas in the scene with Jim Belushi were similar to what Melissa George wore in Mulholland Dr

Oh yeah! The "f@#$ that girl" reminded me of Blue Velvet. And you're right about those 50s outfits too. 

To Gattman: men brutalizing women is pretty typical of Lynch's storytelling. The Bobby Peru connection is interesting, but Bobby almost succeeds in his seduction, Ricky Horne does not - plus Peru is trying for an unpleasant seduction and achieving trauma, Horne is jumping straight to the trauma. I think the 3 women connection is firmer - they reminded me of the girl dancing on the car in Blue Velvet, indifferent to the depravity happening in front of them.

1 hour ago, UnpopularTrousers said:

Wild Palms looks like the worst/best thing ever. Of COURSE Austin Walker was the one who remembers this...

My God, how many Lynch actors are in this thing? I noticed Jim Belushi, Robert Loggia, David Warner, Ernie Hudson, and maybe one or two others. Thought I saw Diane Ladd in there somewhere too but guess not, nothing comes up on Google. (Ok, wiki lists Brad Dourif too - wow.)

40 minutes ago, LostInTheMovies said:

My God, how many Lynch actors are in this thing? I noticed Jim Belushi, Robert Loggia, David Warner, Ernie Hudson, and maybe one or two others. Thought I saw Diane Ladd in there somewhere too but guess not, nothing comes up on Google. (Ok, wiki lists Brad Dourif too - wow.)

It's like what would have happened if Frost/Lynch Productions had worked on Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. 

2 hours ago, Gattman said:

Ah that did pop into my head, but the reversal in that scene is actually pretty funny. Willem Dafoe is such a perfect creep.

That movie is so good

Did anyone take it to literally mean that the bar creep actually raped that girl? I assumed not, but the way some people are referring to that scene makes it sound like we're meant to believe that her and her friend's inability to do anything kept going even after the scene cut. 

1 minute ago, Argobot said:

Did anyone take it to literally mean that the bar creep actually raped that girl? I assumed not, but the way some people are referring to that scene makes it sound like we're meant to believe that her and her friend's inability to do anything kept going even after the scene cut. 

No, I don't think so. But what we saw on screen was still sexual assault, and pretty intense/disturbing. 

22 minutes ago, Argobot said:

I think this show keeps showing us that we just can't assume what's going to happen after what we're shown

I'm almost certain that this is meaningless, but I rewatched the episode and screen-grabbed the two random feeds that show up on the security monitors when Bad Coop does his phone magic. I think the blindfolded guy in the cooking show is inexplicably hilarious.

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.275e542f4c180bcede85c1c1640bf77f.jpg

Untitled.thumb.jpg.579ea8f752419ef0828b4be8bef158d5.jpg

Also, I don't know anything about wedding rings but "To Dougie, with love, Janey-E." is just about the longest, most needless inscription imaginable.

4 hours ago, UnpopularTrousers said:

Wild Palms looks like the worst/best thing ever. Of COURSE Austin Walker was the one who remembers this...

I loved that miniseries. It had a very cyberpunk vibe, including a cameo by William Gibson. I didn't remember all of those cast members, though. I have the DVD set somewhere. I may have to try to find it.

Ah man, I loved the scenes with Bad Coop, both in his cell and when he gets his phone call. Kyle MacLachlan deserves a lot of accolades for the work he has been doing this series. Bad Coop has such a eerie and forceful presence. 

That "Mr Strawberry" line was both funny and super intimidating. I wonder why that line creeped the warden out so...

People seem to be getting a bit hung up on the timing of the creation of Dougie, and the implications that has regarding his nature. That's certainly a potential avenue, but to me it seems just as plausible that time doesn't work the same way for the Black Lodge and its denizens. If nothing else, its entities seem capable of some degree of precognition, so he could have been "planted" in advance. 

That said, a recently-formed Dougie being something of an empty vessel would be quite compatible with the social critique reading that @LostInTheMovies quoted from Reddit. If a person's psychological absence goes unnoticed in their everyday life, is that the life of an incomplete person? 

On 6/4/2017 at 10:22 PM, MechaTofuPirate said:

Didn't Chris and Jake speculate that it would end up being something meaningless? I think that's the closest anyone could reasonably get. Loved it.

I seriously doubt that David Lynch will/would insert a 'meaningless' scene. I'll venture to say that Jacoby and his gold shovels will turn up again with more wackyness! He's perfect for it!  

Oh man Wild Palms is a blast from the past. I wonder if it holds up. I remember watching it on some VHS tapes back in the late 1990s when I was at college specifically because I was promised that it was "like Twin Peaks". 

I also like the reading of Dougie as a critique of the emptiness of suburban office park life. And with Cooper crying, my instinct was that he felt sorry for the kid, as did I. You wonder how rare it was to share the connection was that Sonny Jim and Dougie-Cooper had over breakfast.

And I didn't think about it until they found the ring in the corpse's stomach but when Jane-e scolds Dougie she says he's been missing for 3 days, which is how long that corpse was lying in the apartment, no? Do we know it's not the "real" Dougie?

Hm, I thought this was the same guy but I guess not.

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 10.41.03 AM.PNG

So many identical looking white dudes :/