zerofiftyone

[RELEASED] EVADER

19 minutes ago, Ben X said:

Well, you probably know what my reaction is going to be: stunning presentation, great player feedback, clever mechanics, and too damn hard for me! I'm not a twin-sticks guy, so I could never really master the movement, but I did manage to get over 3000 which I was very pleased with!

Thanks Ben!! Anything over 3000 is pretty good btw, I can't score much higher than that myself :).

19 minutes ago, Ben X said:

The only thing I'd ask for is the option to change the shockwave button - I'm constantly on the triggers for shrinkage so I tend to accidentally use shockwave rather than tactically hold onto it. I'd much prefer right shoulder. I'm also looking forward to seeing some of the world leaders play this thing!

I think you can in fact use the right shoulder button as well!

Very cool!

I'm, kbrow on the leaderboards (couldn't change my name).

I really dig the visuals and the gameplay. I had to turn the autochange off cause it was twisting my brain though.

I think i'm getting the hang of the controls, i'll try to play more later and go for the leaderboard's top spots.

I'm obsessed with Geometry Wars, so I took one look at this game and said "I need to get the high-score". Played for about an hour, and I love it. It's a heck of a thing to get your mind around at first (and I had to turn off auto-switch), but once I got the hang of it, I was surprising myself with some of my maneuvers. Fantastic. (I only managed to get the #2 score tho, so I'm gonna have to keep trying...)

19 minutes ago, WickedCestus said:

I'm obsessed with Geometry Wars, so I took one look at this game and said "I need to get the high-score". Played for about an hour, and I love it. It's a heck of a thing to get your mind around at first (and I had to turn off auto-switch), but once I got the hang of it, I was surprising myself with some of my maneuvers. Fantastic. (I only managed to get the #2 score tho, so I'm gonna have to keep trying...)

I've been unseated as #2! To EVADER!!!

23 minutes ago, WickedCestus said:

Hey I uh.. doubled my high score lol.

Damn!

1 hour ago, Ben X said:

Holy cow @One8Two8, pleeeease stream this game or at least record some high-scoring play!

Haha I've played this game far more than what might be called healthy. It is very fun and feels great! I will try to record a run, but I'm not sure I have enough free hard drive space to store enough footage before I get a good run.

I've thought of some feedback while I was playing, but with games like this, most of this feedback is just frustration at the end of a good run. The red obelisks hugging the wall is a bit annoying, but at least it doesn't kill. For everything else, I am usually able to keep my combo on a good run, but the obelisks and big triangles are definitely the hardest to keep a combo against. The only other thing is that the clear enemies power-up sound effect and the death sound effect sound very similar, so close calls can be a bit confusing.

My brain hurts after playing the game.

The game is really great. Amazing presentation, great feel when destroying enemies. The music is also top notch. I could continue with more praises: leaderboard, good tutorial, love the text projected on the playfield etc.

But I have some small (constructive) criticism:

- I played with the keyboard and it's really really hard. I would think it's easier with a controller.

- It is frustrating to lose. Often I have the feeling the game was unfair. Could be because of the collisions or the momentum on the paddles but it can be really frustrating. On the other hand the game seems to be generous also in many case; I killed a enemy even though I thought I would die. The frustration might simply come from the discrepancy between what I think will happen, and what actually happens.

But overall that is an amazing submission for a game jam.

Seeing people playing and enjoying this makes my incredibly happy. Thanks everyone!

I'm thinking of putting out a patch this evening for some of the small issues people have been having; like the issue with the red enemies (which should be really easy to fix). Thanks all for the feedback. 

52 minutes ago, Lama Himself said:

My brain hurts after playing the game.

The game is really great. Amazing presentation, great feel when destroying enemies. The music is also top notch. I could continue with more praises: leaderboard, good tutorial, love the text projected on the playfield etc.

But I have some small (constructive) criticism:

- I played with the keyboard and it's really really hard. I would think it's easier with a controller.

- It is frustrating to lose. Often I have the feeling the game was unfair. Could be because of the collisions or the momentum on the paddles but it can be really frustrating. On the other hand the game seems to be generous also in many case; I killed a enemy even though I thought I would die. The frustration might simply come from the discrepancy between what I think will happen, and what actually happens.

But overall that is an amazing submission for a game jam.

Thanks for the notes!

The game was designed with controller sticks in mind, and is easier to play with them (to my mind at least), but keyboard support was a relatively easy thing to add in and was worth the effort to let more people play it.

Yeah, I generally tried to be forgiving to the player where I could to minimise the bad sort of frustration. For example, when enemies spawn in, they're harmless to the player for about half a second so that the player doesn't have to immediately react to its presence when the spawn anim starts. Also, the collider boxes for the player are smaller than the actual visible model, so you won't get killed unless it definitely looked like a collision. That said, single hit death is one of those things that is always going to frustrate to a certain degree. I toyed with the idea of a health system, but it would have made each run longer than I would have liked.

Thanks so much for the comments, and I'm glad you liked it on the whole!

I just put out a patch!

Changes:

• New game launcher - lets you configure display/graphics settings
  • Fixed player spawn in particle FX colours
  • Red enemy should now no longer hide on the edge of the playfield
  • Big triangle enemy has an updated material to help it stand apart from the small triangle
  • Trails fixed on blue enemy 
  • A few extra wave templates added to the rotation

4 minutes ago, Ben X said:

Have we all been knocked off the high score table yet?

Looks like you're still in the top 25! :P

EVADER-Win64-Shipping_2017-06-24_18-02-03.thumb.png.1a67ec23dcb0e6e2fa1c52c355d44d44.png

Phew!

1828 is duty bound by forum honour to stay at number one.

I will probably give up on high score chasing, but nobody can ever take away that for about 2 minutes, I was #1. My glory days (moments).

Ooh, very happy for the graphics settings, now even my archaic PC can run this. Leaderboard is a fantastic and addictive feature especially in this kind of an arcade game.