brendonsmall

[Released] Sit in a Row and Stare at the Wall

Post-Jam Update: The game has been released here: https://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam-5/rate/152376

Post-Jam Update #2: version 1.1 has been uploaded in place of 1.0, and now includes somewhat proper lighting

Hey all,

Just posting my first of hopefully many Wizard Jam 5 progress updates. I've abandoned previous notions of fitting in a Walking Sim sequel to Cruisin': For Somethin', and instead am using this fine jam as a chance to learn the ropes of Realtime CSG and make some kind of weird ambient "walk around and touch things" thing.

Anyway, here's the progress so far: A part hallway!

progress001.jpg

Spent a couple hours playing with Realtime CSG, and it's pretty good. I'm sure I'm making lots of n00b mistakes, but here's my gray boxed level for the jam so far.

roughInWalkthrough.gif

Good stuff brendon! Loved the look of your last (cancelled) Jam game, hope this one turns out good. :)

10 hours ago, Henke said:

Good stuff brendon! Loved the look of your last (cancelled) Jam game, hope this one turns out good. :)

THanks! Yes, me too! I guess there's a whole week left so that is good :)

On 6.6.2017 at 4:22 AM, brendonsmall said:

Spent a couple hours playing with Realtime CSG, and it's pretty good. I'm sure I'm making lots of n00b mistakes, but here's my gray boxed level for the jam so far.

roughInWalkthrough.gif

Ha, nice! I'm using this exploration asset as well! It's great! :) 

20 hours ago, fabian said:

Ha, nice! I'm using this exploration asset as well! It's great! :) 

Are you the same Fabian that's been emailing with Richard about First Person Exploration Kit? That's-a me! (he said in his best Mario voice) What a small world we live in! Looking forward to your wizard jam game! And oh man, this is a cool thing here. I hope to fold some of my work from Wizard Jam back into the asset for new features and stuff.

:D

I've been sucked into a zone of creating weird signage for my game scene. No gameplay work today, really. Just goofy things. But I'm having fun, so wooo!

CornerMoviePoster.png

Small update: My doofy theatre scene is coming along, and I'm learning some lessons on how to use realtime csg. Most importantly, still having fun!

roughWalkthrough2.gif

6 hours ago, pdotjpg said:

That theater is so good. Looking forward to this

I'm glad you like it. I tried desperately to avoid "Duke Nukum 3D: Hollywood Holocaust" level vibes, and hope I've succeeded. :D 

So I made a terribly depressing robot that will dispense tickets for the player. If you can think of more sad robot things to add, I am open to suggestions. :lol:

it's got a scrolling marquee for instructions, a sweet 3D Graphical interface chest, and spits the tickets out of its mouth.

ticketRobotGIF.gif

9 hours ago, brendonsmall said:

So I made a terribly depressing robot that will dispense tickets for the player. If you can think of more sad robot things to add, I am open to suggestions. :lol:

it's got a scrolling marquee for instructions, a sweet 3D Graphical interface chest, and spits the tickets out of its mouth.

ticketRobotGIF.gif

You COULD add just an immensely sad trashcan on wheels that follows the player.

I think I've hit the mark to some degree with the correct levels of sadness for this robot. The poor thing.

@Old News Belida I like the idea of the robot trash can pal, though I don't know if I have the time to do it. Maybe it'll have a face but no means of locomotion. Perhaps they are friends or partners, and they work together in this depressing place to support their tiny robot dependents. I now want to make a game just about these robots and how they came to be here, in this world, in this job. (Boy howdy, this is taking a dark turn) :blink:

18 hours ago, brendonsmall said:

(Boy howdy, this is taking a dark turn) :blink:

Yay! An immobile trashbot that wants to follow you but has no means of locomotion is also just sad. In a good way?

5 hours ago, Old News Belida said:

Yay! An immobile trashbot that wants to follow you but has no means of locomotion is also just sad. In a good way?

Yes indeed. In the best way. Now I want to put little weird Henson-esque robots on everything 

Added some scope creep, but it's a fun thing so woo anyway. 

Spoiler

It's a Wonder Woman button that plays that sick electric cello (?) riff from the Hans Zimmer theme. There's also an imposing spot light cookie.

WWWWD.gif

ALSO: It's time to enter the wrap up zone on this project. My TODO list includes:

• Theatre seat you can actually sit in
  • Small amount of signage (which given timeline will be textures on quads)
  • Turnstiles
  • Exit door and stairs
  • Some odds and ends to interact with (lobby bits, some notes on the cork board)
  • Intro fade out from black, and out to black and back to main menu

• Main menu with mouse sensitivity adjustment

Edited by brendonsmall
Wrap Up Zone

Working on an arcade cabinet for the lobby. I wish I had time to make it playable, but alas, no time. Nothing like a small "out of order" sign and some flavour text to get out of this and use to enhance the environmental story :)

CruisinCabinet.jpg

The Cruisin' arcade cab is done. Also added turnstiles to get into the theatre to compel interaction with the ticket robot. Also added several more items of Robot Weirdness(TM) to make the player uneasy. 

I tried making a video texture for the cabinet "attract mode" but alas it requires that I install quick time and nope. Oh well, the out of order sign looks okay.

CruisinCabinetDone.gif