Jake

Idle Thumbs 308: Duplicans and Duplicants

Idle Thumbs 308:

Idle Thumbs 308

Duplicans and Duplicants
There are only two kinds of people in the world, you tell yourself while looking out into the void of space, and well, maybe you'd rather be the other kind. The water ventilator broke down again, and no one's around to fix it. The whole base is going to flood with bile and fumes, and nobody cares. A guy teleported right into the middle of work the other day, just yelling at his wife or someone about a cup of water like she was there in the room, yelling about whether you could hear him, then he looked right at you and disappeared. No matter what you do, your fabricator just makes dart guns. Face it, you're not a duplican, you're a duplicant.

Discussed: Prey, Oxygen Not Included, Star Trek Bridge Crew, A Dark Room, The Ensign

I would like to 2nd/3rd the request for Nick to stream Oxygen Not Included. I've only seen about 5 minutes of a stream of it, but it seems like it would be good content with the Nick/I-Meter combo.

Man, that letter about the history of Let's Plays. I distinctly remember reading Boatmurdered and The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing before you had to pay for a SA forum account, then losing track of the whole phenomenon for a few years, and then being totally baffled when the video LPs blew up. I started seeing news articles about how Let's Plays were becoming a huge thing and getting excited and clicking a link to one, but then not understanding why it was a 3-hour YouTube video.

I had a very similar experience to Nick while playing a VR game called Rec Room, in its paintball mode. I was chatting to my wife while playing, talking about what the experience was like, and I could hear some general chatter from other players when they in my proximity. One of the players was speaking another language, and I said "I think there's someone here speaking... Arabic?" and then before she replied, I heard a dude's voice right behind me: "uh I think it's Hindi."

It was incredibly jarring (as well as a bit embarrassing) and I sheepishly kept quiet for the rest of the match. But it stands out as one of the few moments where has VR really surprised me and made me feel like I'm somewhere other than in my living room playing a video game.

Not in VR but I had a similar experience in Dark Souls 2 co-op. I was just chatting to my girlfriend when I played, but also verbalising my thoughts about what I or the player who'd summoned me was doing. I noticed that a strange icon kept showing up in the corner but I didn't really know what it meant, until I checked my settings and discovered I had turned on voice chat and forgotten, so they'd heard me muttering to myself "What are you doing?" as well as random conversation with my girlfriend unrelated to Dark Souls. Unlike Nick, no-one told me about it, so I went a long while before realising how I'd been hoisted.

Thanks for making me feel old by mentioning UT3, and making it worse by saying that it was "before Idle Thumbs".

I don't suppose anyone around here happens to have the old Shack Cast episodes sitting around. They're definitely not hosted on shacknews anymore, and no hero has stuck them on the internet archive. It would be a real shame if they were actually lost forever.