fabian

[RELEASE] Transmission Lost

9 hours ago, infamous space turtle said:

create a map out of nick breckons face should have been a diversifier. 

LOL, yes.

@fabian This new artwork is looking great. 

I totally underestimated the amount of time it takes to get a voice over / dialog into a game. I made the mistake of requesting a single file from my voice over guy and realized too late that I had to cut it into pieces and assemble it back together. Took me almost a whole day. 

BUT: Totally worth it. Hearing the voice over in game is amazing, it feels a lot more like "game" than before, and this gives me hopefully enough new motivation to finish this thing over the next few days. There is still a lot to do and I need to do some speed modeling/texturing and I still have to figure out how I want the final scene to look like.

But now I'll go to sleep, have to slowly normalize my day/night-cycle for work next week. :D 

15 hours ago, infamous space turtle said:

create a map out of nick breckons face should have been a diversifier. 

I second that!

So I'm doing asset after asset in these last days of the jam. There is still a lot of important stuff missing for the final part of the game and I really hope I'll make it in time. Not much else to say without spoiling too much. Back to work! :) 

Here is a nice shot of one of the more important props of the game:

5943402444b78_2017-06-16at04-17-59.thumb.jpg.6a4825f21afce68b12af253e48a975d1.jpg

Wow wow wow! Not sure how I missed this cause your concept is great and your rocks are gorgeous haha

Feel free to hit me up on slack if you're still having bugs or programming issues, I'd be more than happy to take a look.

Seriously impressive work!!

Fabian this is sweet. My computer can only just run it but its great. Im very envious of your movement/interaction stuff, mines so jank. There was an issue starting a game when I first loaded it up, I restarted and it worked but I thought id mention it.  Also im on the mountaintop when the thing wont power up and not sure what to do, should I head back down? . Also I scored a hoop with the bball. Top notch

18 minutes ago, infamous space turtle said:

Fabian this is sweet. My computer can only just run it but its great. Im very envious of your movement/interaction stuff, mines so jank. There was an issue starting a game when I first loaded it up, I restarted and it worked but I thought id mention it.  Also im on the mountaintop when the thing wont power up and not sure what to do, should I head back down? . Also I scored a hoop with the bball.

Thanks for the kind words! I am honestly relieved that the game runs on another computer. :) I hope the start up issue will stay a one-time issue, maybe others can give feedback if they had a similar problem?

Oh and no, you don't have to go back down! There is a little hint somewhere up there of what to do. But actually, this is a point in the game where I'm not sure if I should keep that way, because it is not very clear what (and why) the player should do to progress. If you figure it out, you'll probably think "that doesn't make any sense". Let me know if you figure it out and what you think about it, I'd really appreciate feedback about this specific part of the game (if you don't want to spoil anyone you can hit me up via DM in slack, if you want).

About the basketball - i planned to let the protagonist at least say something if he scores (or misses closely). Unfortunately I had no time to implement that. Maybe I'll try it sometime this week :)

Thanks for playing!

Ill have another go at it and let you know, I didnt spend ages trying and iv been stuck in adventure games wayyy longer so ill have another crack. 

Haha how about an air horn and then the space jam song, thatd fit the tone right ?:P

5 minutes ago, infamous space turtle said:

Ill have another go at it and let you know, I didnt spend ages trying and iv been stuck in adventure games wayyy longer so ill have another crack. 

Haha how about an air horn and then the space jam song, thatd fit the tone right ?:P

Haha... maybe! But I guess it's more likely that I go through all my voice over lines and re-edit them so that they fit. I know I have an angry "Damn!" somewhere. :D

Oh and please let me know if the save / continue system loads you into the correct level!

I got a little stuck on that part too! Your comment that there's a hint up there got me through it, even though I didn't understand why I was doing what I was doing!

Anyway, the production values on this game are immense! It looks fantastic, the level design is great and the voice-acting and music are really good. Lots of attention to detail and a very intriguing story as well, especially at that moment. Depending on one's taste in walking simulators, it could possibly be a little more succinct - but I love the way you lamp-shaded that! Total player-hoisting!

12 minutes ago, Ben X said:

I got a little stuck on that part too! Your comment that there's a hint up there got me through it, even though I didn't understand why I was doing what I was doing!

Anyway, the production values on this game are immense! It looks fantastic, the level design is great and the voice-acting and music are really good. Lots of attention to detail and a very intriguing story as well, especially at that moment. Depending on one's taste in walking simulators, it could possibly be a little more succinct - but I love the way you lamp-shaded that! Total player-hoisting!

Thanks for the kind words, really appreciate it!

About that mountain scene: I think it definitely needs to be a tiny little bit more clear. It's like you said, eventually players see what they have to do, but they don't know the reason, which is probably bad. I'll try to come up with a reason that will hopefully make more sense, while not being super obvious, because I like the general gameplay idea of that scene and don't want to change it that much. I already got some ideas :) 

Thanks again for the feedback!

(I am also quite happy and also amazed that your PCs seem to run this fine (?) - as I'm not really the king of optimization... )

It was a little slow when panning around, I think, but not juddering or anything.

Yup, amazing production values, and some very funny nods to the show. :)

I'm stuck at the part where the radio goes out and I'm supposed to get to the antenna. I see the roadsign pointing out the direction of the antenna but when I go there the narrator says I'm not supposed to go there and then there's an invisible wall stopping me. I've tried interacting with everything else in the area and even going back to the bunker but no go. Am I missing something or has it bugged out? :/

Ah, no! Walked around the cabin but couldn't find a ladder leading up there. But I guess there's some other way of getting up? Thanks for the hint!

edit: oh, I see. Got it.

edit 2: Finished it. Oh my God that was so good! :D Truly jawdropping. Only bugs I found was that after the game ends and I return to the menu the mouse cursor isn't visible, and after the final radiocall the guy's voice repeats the same dialogue again(or perhaps it's supposed to be an automated broadcast?).

This is great! Everything looks and sounds very professional. I also got stuck on the mountain part, but I eventually figured it out by process of elimination. Maybe I'm just impatient, but I felt like the character was a bit too slow even while holding shift.

It's kind of amazing to me that this was made in 2 weeks. Fantastic production value and atmosphere. The camp - with its interiors and basketball - was particularly great. I agree with Ben about that moment. Perfectly handled.

If I'm going to be critical, I wish there was a bit more substance to the story, aaand I do agree that it's a bit slow - both the dialogue and the walk speed.

But overall, really really really great. Hats off.

This is really, really good. I cannot believe you pulled this off in 2 weeks!

I also got stuck on That Part, but aside from that it was smooth sailing. Very nice work! :)

Thank you everyone, I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :) 

22 hours ago, Henke said:

Only bugs I found was that after the game ends and I return to the menu the mouse cursor isn't visible, and after the final radiocall the guy's voice repeats the same dialogue again(or perhaps it's supposed to be an automated broadcast?).

I noticed that mouse-problem too, added that to my list of things I need to fix, thanks for reminding me! 

The other thing is actually intended, what you hear is a recording that repeating over and over, which is also why Steve is not reacting to what the protagonist is saying. :) 

21 hours ago, One8Two8 said:

Maybe I'm just impatient, but I felt like the character was a bit too slow even while holding shift.

I'll test with a faster run-speed. At least in certain, larger areas it will probably help. Although I don't want to make the player running super fast.

21 hours ago, pdotjpg said:

If I'm going to be critical, I wish there was a bit more substance to the story, aaand I do agree that it's a bit slow - both the dialogue and the walk speed.

Oh I totally agree on the story-part. It's a bit lightweight. At the beginning of the jam I thought about writing something with more depth, but soon I realized that a) I am not really a writer and b) this would be way out of scope for two weeks. But I generally agree that there could be a little more to the version that I settled on. But yeah, I focussed on other areas, tbh :D 

Thank you again for you comments and especially for pointing out things that are not ideal. I can learn so much from that!

1 minute ago, GammaBit said:

This looks amazing! If you're doing everything in Unity, you should put up a mac build! :lol:

I actually did that and wait for feedback from a friend who will test it for me. On my second computer (which is a mac) it run well, so it'll probably be up sometime this week :)