Lu 

[Release] A Thousand Dormant Machines

8 hours ago, atte said:

Oh wow, nice to see that strong BigJKO style in a Cyber setting.

Thank you, atte. CyberJKO appreciates!

Super jealous of your work BigJKO - I wish I could make something look that good while keeping it that simple. How long does it take you to create?

1 hour ago, Foodstuff said:

Super jealous of your work BigJKO - I wish I could make something look that good while keeping it that simple. How long does it take you to create?

Thanks so much! Looking at our github repo, it seems it took about two hours to do the power station graphic, animate it and put it in the game.

Here an early testing out of camera behaviours achieved using trigger volumes wot I made! 

m8Xje63.gif

Lu and toblix have been hard at work on the game loop, making it perfect. Meanwhile, I've been art'ing some more. Here's the enemy drone's animation:

giphy.gif

This looks absolutely gorgeous, right down to the bloomy DOS prompt menu screens, and the audio design's really nice. It's also technically very impressive.

Unfortunately it is far too hard for me - forced (slow) scrolling, wall of death, enemies that explode on death or turn into mines if they land on the floor, free-aiming and only three health points. I found VVVVVV easier than this! I'll have to try it again if you ever patch in a baby mode.

A tip for anyone playing this - wall-jumping is possible (after a fashion), and in fact necessary to progress.

PS - the gif in your OP is broken [edit: I won't post again for this - BigJKO says it's fine. I can open it in a new tab but it's broken on this page for me, ah well]

2 hours ago, Ben X said:

PS - the gif in your OP is broken

The Squenix gif? Looks fine to me.

CONTROVERSIAL v1.2 UPDATE

I've added a difficulty level selector in the main menu. "Walk In The Park" for baby gamers, "Just Normal Stuff" for regular people and "Extremely Difficult" for Lu.

Also, after much thought we've disabled the auto-scroll. RIP auto-scroll.

Get all the hot new platform versions at https://lutoo.itch.io/atdm

Sweeet! You capitulated to the demands of whiny gamers!

Extremely Difficult is still a walk in the park. I want a European Extreme edition difficulty.

But no, I feel that for a jam game where people will just play through it once or not even, it's nicer to not also have the pressure of time and not being able to move ahead, which from a player's perspective I can understand is frustrating. So, with the upcoming changes it should be way simpler to just finish it in one run, which is funny when you consider that this was originally conceived as being more of a run based game. 

Also update v1.3 for Windows is out with the changes and several bug fixes. The mechanic is now as such that when you activate the "end of the path"-terminal, you get warped back to the 2nd Terminal just before the forking of paths. Also it's doing some garbage clean up that it wasn't doing before which should majorly increase performance later on in the game.

Great game on all counts! It looks and plays great. The warping back to the second terminal was definitely a good choice. I played on the normal difficulty and found it to be fairly challenging, mostly due to the lack of checkpoint. It took me an embarrassingly long time for me to figure out how to wall jump, but I'm sure that is just my ineptitude.

Well done! This is great. 

20 minutes ago, One8Two8 said:

Great game on all counts! It looks and plays great. The warping back to the second terminal was definitely a good choice. I played on the normal difficulty and found it to be fairly challenging, mostly due to the lack of checkpoint. It took me an embarrassingly long time for me to figure out how to wall jump, but I'm sure that is just my ineptitude.

^you can wall jump??? That explains why I got stuck.