Sign in to follow this  
SharedControl

[Released] Beware of Falling Samurai

Very cool game! I'm glad you included the original colors with the option to change it up.

Relating to the score, it would be nice if the game kept track of your highscore, even if just within a session and told you when you got a session high score so that the user doesn't have to look at the score between each run. With games like this I am always tempted to go straight back into the game instead of checking the score first. On the same token, there is a time between when the gameover screen shows and when pressing down actually opens a new game. Preferably, I would want to be able to go immediately back into the game after losing.

As far as the actual gameplay is concerned, it's very fun once you get a handle on the controls. The only thing that confused me was how the umbrella enemy worked. What I gathered is that you can use your falling sword attack on her, but she will stab you after a couple seconds. However, it seems like if you already have an enemy on you sword, she will attack you immediately and if you have her on the blade and another enemy gets on, she will also attack immediately. The first case makes sense, but the second two cases feel a bit inconsistent.

Personal High Score: 2100

I'll echo 1828 re. session high-score, but this is a fab game. Graphics are very evocative, mechanics are great and it's really addictive. It's so enjoyable to get a good chain going.

The only thing that pissed me off was the difficulty in jumping then immediately striking, which lead to a lot of situations that were impossible to get out of. It may have been better if it auto-struck on jumping (but with no delay on a second strike).  Perhaps the power-side is meant to alleviate this? It might be better to change that move to 'pressing attack when sliding puts you into a dive' - I needed to do this a lot so a single button-press would be really handy. Oh, also maybe some audio feedback on the umbrella peeps might clarify their rules/time limit?

Personal High Score: 2650

Thanks for playing and taking the time to send feedback!

I know that in games with one hit kill things can feel pretty cheap and annoying!

I'm gonna patch it with some feedback on the highest score after each run and making faster to restart a run since this is some pretty straight forward stuff.

About jumping and striking immediatily after a jump, you can press both buttons at the same time and the character will immediatly strike. I might try what you said later though, because sometimes you want to do this but you are already holding the strike button to power slide.

About the umbrella enemy, i think you are right, this is a bit confusing and the game is already very punishing, i think i will just make that you can always have 2 enemies in the dive no matter what.

About feedback on the umbrella peeps, i think it would be cool if she got ready to attack before attacking with a sound? idk, i might check this later!

High scores:

44550 points

1395 m

22x

33600 combo

Ok, i patched the notifications for hiscores, faster retry and the diving exceptions ( funny that the code for this had a comment like idk about this)

8 hours ago, SharedControl said:

Ok, i patched the notifications for hiscores, faster retry and the diving exceptions ( funny that the code for this had a comment like idk about this)

The changes make it feel even better. With the new version, I was able to get up to 2800, but I'll try to get higher over the weekend. Not sure I could ever reach 44550 though.

Yeah i've played a lot of this by now, it's way easier to get high combos with the updates!

I'm kinda getting addicted to my own game though, i did a couple of 30x combos, so i lost touch with the problems new players might have.

i'm travelling this weekend so i can't really participate in the showcase weekend.

I'll try to record a longer run and post on youtube so folks can have a better idea of the game.

I made a quick update before im away.  I gave more space for the player jump around and decreased the amount of enemies a bit so players dont feel overwhelmed from the get go

It isnt a baby mode by any means, i just hope the game is more fun to learn now!

Just a quick Update on the game.

I added music to it and a proper tutorial to teach new players.

I also added a health bar so the game is no longer 1 hit kill.

If you play this version tell me what you think of it!

I've been playing some wizardjam games and leaving comments on the itch.io pages. People made some super cool and weird stuff!

I hope i can continue to do this until i played every game in the jam ;)