SharedControl

[Released] Beware of Falling Samurai

RELEASED

The game is avaiable on itch.io!

https://sharedcontrol.itch.io/bofs

Post feedback and hiscores!

ORIGINAL

Hello wizard jammers!

My title is BEWARE OF FALLING SAMURAI from Three moves ahead episode 165.

The idea is to make an arcade game in the vein of Downwell, where you are going down levels, jumping in peoples faces and slashing them.

I want the player to be always moving, so there will be no platforms, you will break falls by sliding down walls like the image below.

To make this impossible for me, i will try to make everything with traditional animation with only two colors to give it an manga/anime feel.

I'll try to prototype some mechanics tomorrow and keep posting progresss!

beware of falling samurai.png

bofs mock.png

Yeah, this sounds great so far :) I'm always impressed when people make games that focus on gameplay for this jam - my brain doesn't design that quickly.

Progress so far, i tried to flesh out the main character and find key poses. I also did some work in unity, to figure out stuff like how close the camera should be, how detailed the art needs to be, character speed, gravity, size etc...

My next step i guess is to make the procedural level generator work, so i can test all this in a more complex level

edit: i also made some shader work so i can make everything black and white and change the color in unity

bofs day 1.gif

bofs character.png

I got a bunch of things done!

The procedural generation is working:

5932f5e795c9d_bofslevelgenerator.gif.3cb256f682f196d7619003546d26828e.gif

I made an enemy, i figure it has to fly so it can reach the player, but i also wanted it to be a human so we can slice him, so i kinda of made a ghostly warrior:

enemy.png.073503c6096381f0c88599bf3bca66b2.png

Here's how the game is looking right now, i think it has to go faster still:

5932f5e5b96fa_bofsday2.gif.029a32e94f7198a1de85da334cc2d9b3.gif

My next step is to make attacks and taking damage work so i can really test it.

Coming along really well so far! Looks like it will be fun and look cool.

Thanks guys!

I didn't really had much time during the day but i stretched the late hours and made some really cool progress!

I added some blood and the attack + jump poses, no animation still.

But is looking like a game and it's kinda fun to play it!

I'll try to push the dificulty and then scale back, but i'm really enjoying this!

5934cc834390a_bofsday3.gif.83655f8ce2eb7df3acc6b9dcc42b9479.gif

I love how you rode that one ghost guy all the way to the next platform, looks really cool!

Not crazy progress today, i made the level generator to swap tiles so it can build the level not just repeating the same tile over and over:

walls.thumb.png.cd1e7f4ee2661a64f7a2bd516e6057cb.png

not 100%, corners still wrong, and i still have to make the proper texture.

Other than that i am experimenting with new enemy types that i may add tomorrow:

enemies.thumb.png.3eedcde0939d61ab3df38ea6eda7d907.png

This geisha-like character would be imune to the down stab attack (because she has an umbrella obviously). And the archer would work like a spelunky trap, shooting the player if it passes in front of him.

I've been super busy these last days but i did do some rough animation work.

It ends up that making 2d animations is super hard and time consuming, but i'm having a lot of fun doing it!

I'm focusing more on the key poses so i can do this in time though.

Following is a sequence of 5 frames that took an embarrassing amount of time to make (it will play 2x faster in game):

593a0d420de4b_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).thumb.gif.003936a9d6ec287a057636a4e2ccda21.gif

I put some rough animations ingame to see the how it's looking like and it's kinda cool!

I still have to polish the animations but it gives a cool idea of the style i'm trying to achieve.

Tomorrow i think i'll put some work in the game part of the game, try to get everything in place so i just have animation and polish work to do in the last week.

593c5b9c2494d_bofsday7.gif.d36941cb10b3d73780aded8a61e1d157.gif

Great progress!

Today was all about adding more mechanics to add more depth to the game and i think i suceeded!

First i wanted to give the player more control when you slide, so i added a "break" that consumes a stamina bar:

593de93f6decf_bofsstop.gif.045563e9bd945077ac4644e6deca7e39.gif

I also wanted to give the player more control of the jumps so i added a double jump, but it kinda broke the game:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif.4155d69d64a5d17aba8945d04d074fe9.gif

So to avoid this i made the double jump use the same stamina bar as the breaking:

593de94a6b699_bofsdoubejump.gif.6f53adedba27d0d74a4edc6081b48301.gif

Now you can feel cool and not break the game!

I also added a mechanic where when you jump from an enemy you launch him in the opposite direction, and if it hits other enemy it will kill him!

593de8e996221_bofsjumpof.gif.6ba4894ee4f3d7a378bc6e05d47a50f4.gif

I'm very happy where the player character is right now, this following week i will make new enemy types and obstacles as well as trying to add a progression to the levels, and maybe upgrades to the character.

This looks really sweet! The only thing that seems like it might be confusing at the moment is being able to instantly tell if an enemy has been killed...

Thanks for the comments guys!

I added a bunch of stuff! Now the umbrela lady can't be killed with the dive attack (but can be thrown to the spikes) and i added a combo system.

The combo system works like a tony hawk game for now, i added a slide down by holding the attack button that consumes the stamina bar and mantains the combo going.

It works basically like the manual in THPS, so you can keep the combo when theres is no enemies to jump on.

Check my sick combos:

59433484ec4af_bofssickcombo.gif.9c85df9ffece0840f640d81c62ab84e0.gif

I'm also testing other colors, what you guys think?

I think I prefer the previous colour scheme as it feels more like ancient Japanese art, but the new colour scheme is pleasingly crisp.

boys i think i can't make the deadline, i had some super busy last days and now theres just a lot to be done!

i think i will need one more day!

I'm done!

I'm figuring out how tu upload this now!

idk if i will make an android build, i would like to, if enough people want it maybe!