nkornek

[Release] Nick Breckons: 1, Mackle: More

UPDATE - 06/22/2017

The game is now available! Still lots to improve but all the important stuff works!

https://nkornek.itch.io/breckons

Original Post Below

Nick Breckons: 1, Mackle: More is an asymmetrical competitive multiplayer Waldolike!

What does that mean? Basically, one player plays on their PC and observes a world filled with many many Macklemores and tries to discover the secret Breckon hiding among them.

Meanwhile, a second player uses their mobile device to control Nick Breckon, using his special powers to posses and move into the bodies of nearby Macklemores. Every Macklemore he leaves behind becomes a secret Breckon, and he must try to upset the balance of power by replicating until his numbers are Breckonmore.

1.thumb.png.513b01cf70d2dfe5ca5511550d3aec87.png2.thumb.png.95c1b0e8943ab12f16f028ae0a4be6e3.png3-2.thumb.png.5f9caa147b7099d1517628437c7a1fe1.png

Nick has very graciously agreed to supply me with selfies so that I'll have a whole bunch of different faces to pull from.

I can't wait to start working on this tomorrow!

Very happy to see a game using this title.

Nothing really flashy to show for today. Mostly I've just been wrangling the networking end of things.

Seems like UNet has changed a lot since the last time I used it.

Finally some solid progress on the networking end. Unet has some wonky ideas about how to split tasks between clients and the server but now I've got my full on asymmetric setup working.

networking.gif.4fed8fb2008d5a139030c7d6a0696b4e.gif

2 hours ago, nkornek said:

Finally some solid progress on the networking end. Unet has some wonky ideas about how to split tasks between clients and the server but now I've got my full on asymmetric setup working.

networking.gif.4fed8fb2008d5a139030c7d6a0696b4e.gif

This is flippin' sweet! Without a doubt the coolest untextured white capsule/cube and default skybox scene I've ever seen. Can only imagine how awesome it will be when it's a sea of Breckons and Macklemores.

3 minutes ago, Broxxar said:

This is flippin' sweet! Without a doubt the coolest untextured white capsule/cube and default skybox scene I've ever seen. Can only imagine how awesome it will be when it's a sea of Breckons and Macklemores.

Working on that :P

Capture.PNG

1 hour ago, nkornek said:

Had to do this before going to sleep:

5934c5623167c_thebreckoning.gif.2e3e569407eb99f6bc351e84f4ee5e03.gif

That wipe transition is classy af.

So takeaway from this week is that UNet is pretty terrible for LAN games. I think I'm going to switch to a 3rd party networking solution instead which is a bummer because there will be restrictions on concurrent users but honestly I'd rather have a working game with a few server limitations than no game at all.

34 minutes ago, nkornek said:

So takeaway from this week is that UNet is pretty terrible for LAN games. I think I'm going to switch to a 3rd party networking solution instead which is a bummer because there will be restrictions on concurrent users but honestly I'd rather have a working game with a few server limitations than no game at all.

It's too bad you've had these setbacks. Looks awesome though. 

Okay, the new networking solution seems to be working way better.

Also I started playing around with how I want to world setup to work.

spin.gif.d21dd0db814e9072fbc62c38351ebddf.gif

Major Update: It's aliiiiiive!

I've managed to get all of the networking kinks sorted out and now a lot of the main gameplay code is done! Now I mostly need to work on generating more content and making the map a lot more interesting.

(please excuse the low-quality gifs, I have to use my webcam to film switching between my computer and my phone)

gameplay.gif.8a7ba41ccaa7d2edcb77f0b573fa4e27.gif

Check out that awesome little floating Breckon head that pops out to show you where you've already been.

connecting.gif.0203d59050d921819cdfb911c61635bf.gif

You can tell I'm a real game developer by the cat paw poking out from behind the monitor.

On 6/1/2017 at 1:06 PM, nkornek said:

Meanwhile, a second player uses their mobile device to control Nick Breckon, using his special powers to posses and move into the bodies of nearby Macklemores. Every Macklemore he leaves behind becomes a secret Breckon, and he must try to upset the balance of power by replicating until his numbers are Breckonmore.

This is an amazing paragraph.