This looks wonderful turtle! Really dig the muted colours with the style of character. Looking forward to playing this one :D

I really like the style of all this stuff, looks of good faces and expressions

:) Thanks yall.

Today I don't know what I did, it was one of those days you get stuck on something tiny and it seems like the whole thing is falling apart. 

It worked out though, I implement the different facial expression system which is really janky under the hood but whatever I didnt think it through enough and there's no going back haha.

Also fixed the bell dictating whether the customer customer can leave or not. Now when you've delivered the potion they will react, begin to leave, pay(or not),leave... then the player can hit the bell to summon the next person. It was a little weird before that hitting the bell forced them to move, although I kind of miss it because hitting the bell and seeing the coins appear was satisfying.. Maybe I should go back?

Infact I could make the whole thing a little more abstract and have the customers wizz into their position, administer potion, reaction/indicate, then wizz away again when the bell is pressed. It was more satisfying feeling wise, but probably doesn't fit the tone of the game... Ill sleep on it and see. 

Worked on the end of day score page thing. Looks pretty ugly but I did add a drawing feature. Now you can sign your wizard name like the incompetent wizard you are. 

mtnHCUi.gif

The quills a quick grab of google, so its a little out of place. Formal complaints are made when you harm a customer vvv

qkc3yjv.gif

I gave up on picture bubbles, I dont have the artist skill for anything abstract. Instead iv implemented a kind of weird assortment of hint words. It reminds me of a captcha. Also I have a wart ailment which can be seen on the old man in the gif as well the wart potion effect which you can see being blasted in those poor people's faces. 

Wow, I absolutely love the art style! Glad to hear about diegetic UI too. Shaping up really nicely.

Appreciate the nice words yall :)

A few gifs mainly featuring stuff I did yesterday. Stove, cart interior, puffer thing.. Its all ok. I wasn't too happy with the cart interior, it seems a bit dull and doesn't reflect the trade cart medieval hotdog truck vibe I wanted but it'll do. I like the little puffer though. 

jpdJIhw.gif

Yesterday I also animated some stuff for putting shit in the cauldron and the water surface itself. 

AFlQhh1.gif

Its a particle mess now, some time ill do a particle pass and get everything up to scratch. If anyone has any tips for how things should look im all ears. The flames for instance are OK, but could def be more cartoony, im not really sure how though. 

Anyway, today I made a ton of Character and item models.

IipdMRN.gif

A weird thing i'm unsure about is whether the characters should all have the weird bodyheadhood thing that the old man has or expose their skin as it currently is. It seems like having the face enclosed in the circle makes it cuter but Idk. Itd be hard to incorporate with hair too. Probably a stupid thing to worry about.

Thanks yal!

A couple of gifs from the previous few days, Iv been making the meat and veg ailments/solutions. Got all sorts: cures for the blind, immortality, broken heart remedies. Heres an escaped prisoner tailed by the devil. 

WyhhDr2.gif

GnRRhcR.png?1  DKUczm4.jpg?1  gBUGCDQ.jpg?1

I doubt this isn't going to be janky when im done id hoped to polish it a little but i think ill be lucky to get it all tied up. 

Heres the inventory book, still a shambles and missing many things. 

xMR7g89.gif

Anyway, a few more ailment/potion object stuff, filling the inventory book then on to sound and the intro sequence. 

Also I need to peruse the devlogs again, iv been so busy. 

Aeee and I helplessly fumbled at my itchio page as the timer ticked over, though I think through unsavoury bribery itle still find its way there. 

https://doodlebear.itch.io/thewizard

I am a tired human after little sleep for the past few days. 

EDIT : it works now and i had actually uploaded it fine im just a fool.

Alright my brain is made of jello but its time for a quick writeup. 

Firstly, this is more than unfinished. I basically managed to close the experience from one end to another but that's about it. 

Aside from endless bugs there's a lot of temp assets/writing and useless objects that dont do anything. 

For instance I never got around to doing a pass over the particle fx, some bubbles work others dont. The writing for descriptions I did was mostly within the last 8 hours and I know for sure its a mess. A lot of objects don't do anything and haven't been hooked up properly too. Then the seas of bugs that cause odd behaviour such as characters rotating slightly and the puffer getting stuck down. 

I am however pretty pleased with how far I got, I kind of thought I would fail at this but most of my idea has made it. I have to say though Im not sure this is actually going to be a fun game, which is fine, in my next project ill do better.

If you play till the end congrats and sorry for the exit game button which I now realise doesn't actually work.

Now its time for a rest. 

On 6/19/2017 at 9:15 AM, infamous space turtle said:

this is more than unfinished.

Im not sure this is actually going to be a fun game

I agree with the first statement, but not the second. While this is unfinished and very buggy, I recommend people give it a go. Firstly because it looks absolutely gorgeous (lovely intro screen with a cinematic mix of 3D and 2D, lovely shader and model work) and is full of character, and secondly because there are glimpses of a really fun game here. If you got rid of the bugs, streamlined the interface a little and gave a bit more feedback on the time limit per customer, this could be a really adorable mixing game.

Thanks Ben. Particularly appreciate the comment on character, its something I was going after. 

Update:Patched some of the core breaking things. Should be able to go through to the end now haha.

Big ups to everyone for the sweet content, im going to play yall games this weekend.

I agree with Ben, this has tons of potential. The aestethics are already there - it looks and sounds great. I especially appreciate the polish put into the audio and visual feedback. All the little sound and particle effects, etc. That stuff is often lacking in game jam games, nice to see it here.

I like the clunkiness of the controls too. Flipping through the ingredient book and then rummaging the shelves feels nicely physical.

I had fun with this despite the jankiness. Really impressive work!

Thanks !

I got my evil wizard imposter working. 

PRjlAIQ.png

This old rival will steal your superior potion ingredients if you serve him. His jealousy knows no bounds and he will disguise himself in order to receive your aid and then snatch your belongings. 

A few bugs fixed and the tutorial post it notes were shuffled around. 

This game is pretty fun and weird. I loooove the visual choices and music. I had some issues with getting the recipes right, as I dropped my book and it was hard to pickup, and once the pages turned to the back, there wasn't a clear way to flip back to the first page. But I had fun making random stuff for strangers and poofing it in their faces with medieval whimsy. I hope you polish this up a little more, because it's got some great potential I think :)

There's just so much in this, it's fantastic. I was on board as soon as I noticed that the sun's/clock's face had little animations on it. I really like how you spent your time on fun details that I'd normally expect to be lower priority, like making the speech-bubble text appear in interesting ways. It gives this a ton of charm, and it made me want to keep going despite struggling with the mechanics a bit.

I had issues with picking stuff up and manipulating it into place, but I felt like that fit the aesthetic. Like Octodad with alchemy. One funny thing that happened is that, right as I served the evildoer, I dropped the ingredients book without noticing, and it clipped through the floor and disappeared. I thought that the evildoer had stolen my book. It was only later (after brewing a lot of badly guessed potions) that I clicked on the floor by accident and realized the book was still there.

:tup: haha that clunkiness is my incompetence. Not really intentional, just the result of trying to use my noob hands to make a pick up drop system. I really appreciate the feedback, my current mission is to dejank this thing. 

This game looks super cute and the devlog GIFs/images are great. I was a little bummed that the itch.io page indicates it will play on Mac/Linux, but there's only a .exe in the .7z - maybe I'm missing something? It seems to run pretty well in Wine, though. Looking forward to coming back to this later and playing more of it, since there seems to be a lot there.

This game is a lot of fun, looks great and is funny. Good stuff!

My issues with it are entirely on the technical side:

The way you interact with stuff is a little weird in my opinion because you can pick up stuff even when not holding down shift but your cursor wanders in strange ways. Setting the cursor position to the middle of the screen when you press shift might be a good idea, it confused me every time that I had used my mouse to aim my view but the cursor was apparently off somewhere in the corner of the screen.

While it was a little janky to me, I never actually had problems with picking up stuff and placing it in the cauldron.

The book is a bit different, that often did not want to do what I was trying - clipping into the floor, not flipping pages in the right direction...

Messing with the people was really fun but sometimes it was difficult to tell what had gone wrong with the cure or if it had worked partially. Maybe have people with more complex requests be a little more patient and let you try twice so you have to both undo your mistakes and cure the original affliction.

Overall a great game though!

The graphics, music and setting create a wonderfully charming atmosphere, and I was positively overwhelmed by the amount of stuff and details around me.