https://doodlebear.itch.io/thewizard

Hey yall, 

So i'm thinking a game where you play as an incompetent wizard apprentice. 

Sent by your ailing master you manage the old wizards trade cart at the kings yearly festival. From this cart you concoct then serve each customer with a potion for their ills. The festival lasts a week  and you take the game day by day, your progress reflected in letters from the stern master. 

Brainstorm/How will this work?:

You are movement locked in your cart and have access to a large variety of objects.

Each object can be picked up and put in your cauldron.

When ready the player can serve the potion from the cauldron to the customer.

Each day functions as a level, much like papers please. For this jam ill aim on finishing only one day but I might make more if this game is actually fun. 

A range of object types..

Guff (beasts heart, troll skull,mushroom, etc): the bread and butter, each has a handful of attached meanings( Beasts Heart: love, beast, heart, blood);

Essences( Essence of absences, Essence of presence): These define one of two ways the potion interact with the customer. One adds one subtracts. 

Books/scrolls(tomes of ancient ill meaning, wizards guide to potions, etc): These include tips for the player as well as recipes for more extreme cases. Some can be dangerous to use, invoking dark magic. These too can be added to the potion but usually for little gain. 

The loop is something like : Customer indicates illness(Warts) > You devise a treatment(toad combined with the essence of absence) > The customer reacts accordingly(the warts disappear or not) > You know how to treat warts for future cases, next customer with new illness> repeat until the end of the day where the player is presented with a summation of their earnings and customer happiness. > The master scolds you via letter > next day.

Interaction is straightforward, this isn't surgeon simulator.. The challenge is similar to PP in that you have to calmly work through the process curing colds, lonely hearts etc while also dealing with curveballs. A wrong ingredient can have unintended consequences. 

I don't entirely know how this is going to work.

I am afraid. 

But whatever Ill give it a go.

Anyway looking forward to everyone filling this jam with dopeness.

Good luck humans.

PSgLKKk.gif

EDIT: If any one wants to send me 3d objects to include feel free. Suggestions for weird items is welcome too. 

I had a tune in mind so I made track for it, first music iv made this year. Feels good.

Iv also added two other tune pieces that i had lying around. Not sure if Ill include them in the game, they dont match the tone, but If anyone wants to use music off my soundcloud feel free. 

8TGRZdG.gif

Today I modified a weird lion dude I had into these 3, an old man, a onemanband and an heretical priest. I also colored some mushrooms and made some scenery. 

The reason their spasming out is I have their expression animation as one joined thing that's looping. Ill have to seperate it out and reimport them I think. Each expression is supposed to be its own state. 

Love the characters, they have an adventure time vibe to them which is totally my jam. Can't wait to see what wizardry they get up to!

Thanks Yall :)

Peasant testing continued today this time with hallucinogenic forest mushrooms. 

qi6Fpat.gif

For real though, today I sorted the pickup/movement and err pipeline of interaction. 

Basically every object that can be picked up has a bunch of "effector" scripts attached to it. When the object is dropped in the cauldron the effectors are added to a pool (the potion). When the button is pressed the potion is given to whoever is standing in the "Customer Zone".

Im pretty pleased its doing what I wanted. I decided to go with a spray instead of a literal potion because it seemed easier than trying to awkwardly hand the customer a potion. Thinking about it now, it might be amusing if you throw the potion at them... hmmm well see. 

Also thanks broxxar for the tutorials, you might notice im using your object glow code haha.

As far as issues go iv got some annoying things with the object i'm carrying becoming jittery when walking. Iv tried different move methods(velocity,MovePosition, etc) and fixedUpdate,LateUpdate. I didnt crack it so its on the backburner for now. 

This looks great, reminds me a bit of one of the entries for Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight 2017, "The Gods Must Be Hungry".

I agree with you on the bubble particles, btw.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:06 AM, infamous space turtle said:

EDIT: If any one wants to send me 3d objects to include feel free. Suggestions for weird items is welcome too. 

Are you looking for suggestions of things to model or actual models? I can make you some wizardly props if you want.

KxBK3SL.gif

Iv added a line system that cycles the customers once treated and iv rung the bell. Currently they just slide into view which I change at some point.

I also added a speech bubble which im thinking will signal the ailment  to the player via a pictorial/symbol based system. That or a bubbled text display along the bottom of the screen.

Im not sure though, I might do both with the text acting as a hint system, like it could be presented in a wizardly mind reading device like a crystal ball or something. . We'll see. 

At the moment its just a weird perfume conveyor belt.

hahahaha!

I have an old bat model here, i'll send you send you a bat wing so you can use as an ingredient if you want!

Are you using blender ? i can send you as .fbx

I remember seeing the mushroom gif day one and just made it back here again. It's coming along really nicely and I've giggled at every gif. Can't wait to play it.

Thanks JTerry,

So today I implemented a proper walking animation  which was a bigger pain than expected. I ended up using unity navigation stuff. 

hnpmPef.gif

I also have the time limit system set up. When the day ends a guard comes and forces you to close shop for the night. There's a bit of UI in there too but its just the bones. 

Speech bubbles? Im thinking the non ui ones will contain symbols representing the characters intent while the UI bubble is a upgrade magical-wizarding-device that reads minds or something. Not sure what to do yet hence both being present and jarring. 

cE3FpHE.gif

I made a clock too with a cute face. Itl be the main means of indicating time to the player.

yU8xCxB.gif

Iv been trying to keep UI to an absolute minimum incorporating as much as I can in the scene itself. Im hoping this forces the player to do everything with some degree of intention. Rather than being able to glance into the corner of the screen they have to at least mouse over the relevant object to see its value. Time is the main resource so ill try force the player to manage it carefully. The protagonist is afterall a mere apprentice wizard filling in for their master, bumbling about and fucking things up.

Anyway it seems like ill be done with the core this week so I can spend the next getting assets finished and pretty(ish). 

For now bedtime.