Travis

[Released] Suddenly, the King of France!

14 minutes ago, nkornek said:

This is great.

Thanks! I am a bit disappointed that your king voice gets lost in the mix a bit. Fixing that was on my "if time" list and well... there was no time!

WARNING: if you are one of the three people who downloaded the Mac version, it is broken. Will upload a new version tonight. Sorry about that!

Really cool idea, and nicely balanced mechanics, plus the little revolutionaries are really cute! Also, it didn't happen every time, but getting the Call Of Duty-style guillotine POV death was very funny!

I think I'd prefer it if there was a crosshair or similar, as I found it difficult to predict where the accoutrements were going to go, especially when the little peeps  bunch up, and it's challenging enough without that as well! I got about 6700 as my highest, I think.

5 hours ago, Ben X said:

Really cool idea, and nicely balanced mechanics, plus the little revolutionaries are really cute! Also, it didn't happen every time, but getting the Call Of Duty-style guillotine POV death was very funny!

I think I'd prefer it if there was a crosshair or similar, as I found it difficult to predict where the accoutrements were going to go, especially when the little peeps  bunch up, and it's challenging enough without that as well! I got about 6700 as my highest, I think.

Thanks for playing and thanks for the input. I had a targeting reticule in there at first, and I took it out because it felt a little off with the way I was moving the projectiles. I had hoped to refine this and try the reticule again, but I planned to come back to a lot of things. 

That's a good score! (I think)

7 hours ago, Travis said:

WARNING: if you are one of the three people who downloaded the Mac version, it is broken. Will upload a new version tonight. Sorry about that!

This is (hopefully) fixed and a new version is available for download. Let me know if I am wrong. For me to test this personally would take some doing.

Sorry for the problems. I will work on a linux build sometime. Still just exhausted.

10 minutes ago, Travis said:

This is (hopefully) fixed and a new version is available for download. Let me know if I am wrong. For me to test this personally would take some doing.

Sorry for the problems. I will work on a linux build sometime. Still just exhausted.

I think that the game works, although I don't know if the game is not giving me points if there's something I'm not doing to finish the job, but I laughed a bunch, so that's really what matters! 

2 minutes ago, RubixsQube said:

I think that the game works, although I don't know if the game is not giving me points if there's something I'm not doing to finish the job, but I laughed a bunch, so that's really what matters! 

Ha! Did you get all 3 types of clothing on a single revolutionary? They should get zipped over to the guillotine when you do and you'll get points. If you hit them w/ the same piece of stuff, it destroys both copies and is a setback!

Oh jeez, that's...that's a very difficult thing to remember to keep track of, especially with that Tetris style of random clothing generation. Oof, once more into the breach! 

Cool game mechanic, though I didn't get it on the first run and on the second one the game bugged out (the revolutionaries stopped being guillotined and just stood around; and the tower only came halfway down at which point I had to Alt+F4). It's a bit annoying when you don't get the acccoutrement that you need and have to waste shots and kill your combo.

Other than that, nice gameplay and cute presentation! Might be my favourite "Suddenly, the King of France" yet.

3 hours ago, pdotjpg said:

Cool game mechanic, though I didn't get it on the first run and on the second one the game bugged out (the revolutionaries stopped being guillotined and just stood around; and the tower only came halfway down at which point I had to Alt+F4). It's a bit annoying when you don't get the acccoutrement that you need and have to waste shots and kill your combo.

Other than that, nice gameplay and cute presentation! Might be my favourite "Suddenly, the King of France" yet.

Thanks for giving it a go!

I will try to find what caused the game to glitch out like that. I have a few ideas of where to start, but it really could be anything, I guess.

I agree about the combo breaking from the upcoming shots. I was hoping to do more of a shuffling distribution instead of pure random choice on each shot. I might try to add that in as it won't be too hard... and will hopefully help.

4 hours ago, pdotjpg said:

There is only one other StKoF.

: ( 

Trying to do some debugging for the problem pdotjpg had. Here was my score to give you something to shoot for!

(Note that I didn't get anywhere close to setting up an online leaderboard.)

16100.png.c532366c17696b993a12154168bd16af.png

Taking this screenshot also helped me notice the lack of a comma in the number. So, I fixed that too.

Might upload an updated version tonight, but I'm not sure I fixed the problem since I haven't recreated it yet. I just sealed off a bunch of possible fail points. (EDIT: Updated version has been uploaded!)

This is a great riff on the episode title. That cannon animation is top-notch, as is the 90s-toy look of the revolutionaries. Blasting everyone away from my tower was also satisfying, although I'd initially expected all of the revolutionaries to be hit (rather than just the ones right up against the wall) to give me a little breather. Either way, though, I always enjoyed doing it.

Nice, and good ridiculous sound effects! I think I ran into a bug (Mac version) where I never got any more enemies after I cleared the first "wave". Also my Majestic Blast™ wasn't working or making any noise. Quitting and reloading seems to have fixed it.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:23 AM, getinthedamnbox said:

This is a great riff on the episode title. That cannon animation is top-notch, as is the 90s-toy look of the revolutionaries. Blasting everyone away from my tower was also satisfying, although I'd initially expected all of the revolutionaries to be hit (rather than just the ones right up against the wall) to give me a little breather. Either way, though, I always enjoyed doing it.

Thanks for playing and for the feedback! I debated about which revolutionaries would be impacted by the blast. Once you realize it is limited to those at the tower, you can plan a bit. Maybe it should do all of them, though.

2 hours ago, ryanfb said:

Nice, and good ridiculous sound effects! I think I ran into a bug (Mac version) where I never got any more enemies after I cleared the first "wave". Also my Majestic Blast™ wasn't working or making any noise. Quitting and reloading seems to have fixed it.

Oh no! I hate that it basically crashed on you. Do you know which version you were playing on Mac, 1.0.2 had a lot of checks to prevent things like that, but I'm sure I missed some. If you have any other info about what was going on at the time this happened, let me know here or in DM. Thanks for giving it a go and sticking with it after a crash!

Yep, it's 1.0.2. The time I ran into it was after I had quit once back to the main menu and started again, so maybe the game was still in a weird state?

18 minutes ago, ryanfb said:

Yep, it's 1.0.2. The time I ran into it was after I had quit once back to the main menu and started again, so maybe the game was still in a weird state?

Oh, ok. That helps a lot. I probably know the general area that is the problem. Thanks!

EDIT: Hopefully the update I just sent up will prevent this. Not 100% sure, but seems like it will help. (1.0.3 for mac, auto update for windows)

I love it when a really outlandish game idea is executed very nicely (and this is exactly that).

4 minutes ago, atte said:

I love it when a really outlandish game idea is executed very nicely (and this is exactly that).

Thanks so much! 

Another quick fix uploaded just now after watching @elvaq get totally hosed by the 100% random ammo distribution. It should now be ~equal with some 2-in-a-row cases and such so it isn't just a continuous pattern. 

Also fixed a bug I found when testing if a guillotine was in use and you died. Hope it didn't break more!

6/26/2017 EDIT:  Uploaded another small update. Finding more little spots where trouble can slip in and ruin everything. I am sure there are more. Let me know if you run into bugs, especially after updating after today or on Mac with version 1.0.5

I think I finally found the primary source of problems people were running into. I had caught a couple others previously, but I think this one was the biggest direct cause. I also touched up the menus a little, added a non-standard skybox, and rebalanced the whole spawning system. Hopefully there will be fewer jams at the tower base now and more firing out into the plaza if you use the Majestic Blast properly. If you've tried the game before, give it another go and let me know what you think and if you are still hitting bugs.

Here's the devlog I posted on itch:

https://whogas.itch.io/suddenly-the-king-of-france/devlog/4115/significant-update-today

Also, as a bonus, here is a gif that makes me laugh of a very early prototype w/o many restraints on the physics system.

prototype.gif.189c911a2af5abc0e54f06918643e7b5.gif