Rob Zacny

Idle Weekend May 27, 2017: Renaissance Morgan

Idle Weekend May 28, 2017:

Idle Weekend May 28, 2017

Renaissance Morgan
This weekend, we are still obsessed with Prey, the Immersive Sim in Space that could. We also chat about other fine games: like Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex, and we close out with a discussion of TV shows we're not 100% sure we like—it sure is an Idle Weekend, folks!

Prey, Dishonored 2, Xcom 2, Fallout, Civilization, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, The Crew, Perfect Dark, Deus Ex, Alpha Centauri, Transmetropolitan, Children of Men, Space Hulk, Disney Afternoon Collection, Privateer, Riverdale, Fargo, Apocalypse Now

22 hours ago, andrewdoull said:

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is what a cheaply made immersive sim looks like.

Or Slayer Shock: http://store.steampowered.com/app/501860/Slayer_Shock/

I would submit that skimping on animation is not the best idea because (when used properly) it is essential to reading characters' behaviour. Losing that layer of communication means losing a part of the simulation. Also you could argue that atmosphere is a big part of what makes immersive sims, so unfortunately as Slayer Shock seems to demonstrate, even if you have great mechanics you lose a lot of the character.

I feel bad picking on this one game... it's just I really want to like it conceptually but I cannot get over the art direction, or lack thereof.

That said, Gone Home and Firewatch demonstrate that it is possible to achieve great atmosphere on a small budget if you choose your constraints carefully (like not having NPCs).

Speaking of games getting recontextualised in the current political climate, I'm re-playing Skyrim and feeling way more confident in my choice to side with the Imperials.