The more I play this game, the more I love it. I'm also super happy to switch to a new combo whenever one pops up, I'm more of a variety player than an optimiser I guess.

I don't think any game has let me feel flow as well as this one since... probably either a Souls game or maybe my days when I was good at TF2 spy.

18 minutes ago, Twig said:

I don't care about optimal builds in the slightest, it just sucks when I find something I'm having fun with and am forced to throw it away because it's now too weak.

It's good that they're trying to fix it. I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

I do understand your position.  Sometimes I will pass up a weapon that does more damage but otherwise wrecks my combo even though I know it will be less effective in the coming level.

The thing I think needs more tuning is projectile weapons, especially against bosses.  Any ranged weapon with limited ammo is almost useless against a boss since you don't get any of that ammo back until the fight is over.  From my understanding there is an item ability that gives you some of that ammo back on a hit, but I've never gotten it when it mattered so I can't speak to it firsthand.

A Titan Souls mechanic where you can hold the attack button after expending all ammo to pull it back would be cool. O:

Maybe it could even do damage if you've missed and the loose projectile goes through the enemy. Maybe it could even do MORE damage!

Heh.

I have confirmed that the last boss is very hard. Fire and Poison seem particularly powerful even after the devs decided to nerf Bleed, but I assume those will be toned down too soon enough.

Ivy grenades work wonders against the Watcher.  I beat him the first time I got there using ivy grenades and the rapier.  Freezing items are also useful.  Just make sure you time it so he's stuck somewhere you can hit him.

I made it to the watcher for the first time today. Dunno if they made the game easier or what. Didn't necessarily feel easier but hey.

Started that game thinking it'd be a quick lunch break game. Ended up being an hour. Oops!!

I DID definitely die!

2 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

Ivy grenades work wonders against the Watcher.  I beat him the first time I got there using ivy grenades and the rapier.  Freezing items are also useful.  Just make sure you time it so he's stuck somewhere you can hit him.

I had a very turret-centric build and couldn't get it to stay anywhere useful, so that was probably my problem. I'm sticking with my assessment of "hard" though.

I don't like the oil weapon at all, because it's modifying in the wrong direction. I'm going to use my abilities and skills and THEN hit something with my weapon. Once I'm right up in a face I'm swinging, not stopping to use fire bombs which have a wind up animation. Ah well.

If you have the fire brand or another thing that sets the ground of fire, you can use that then the oiled sword and still have the effect trigger.

I'm not a big fan of most DOT stuff in this game (bleed, poison, fire, etc).  Unless you stack a bunch of them it takes too long to produce a meaningful effect.  I'd much rather get closer and use my more powerful melee weapons to take them out quickly.  The only time I really use them is when the damage modifiers line up.

9 hours ago, Kyir said:

I had a very turret-centric build and couldn't get it to stay anywhere useful, so that was probably my problem. I'm sticking with my assessment of "hard" though.

I'm down on turrets lately.  They die so quickly I often feel they don't do anything at all (except for the ceiling turret maybe, which is only useful in some areas).  I prefer items with more utility, like freeze/stun grenades.  I've been getting a lot of use out of the improved bear trap.

I've been doing runs lately where I force myself to pick up every drop I see (with some exceptions).  It's a bit chaotic as my tactics have to change every few minutes but it's quite fun.

I had a trifecta of assassin dagger (with bonus damage to frozen), freeze grenade and phase going, and it just felt unfair. Like chaining 3k crits on a frozen group.

There's been a couple of updates lately that have added new weapons, enemies, and areas along with the usual rebalancing.  It feels a lot harder.  I haven't gotten to the Watcher since all this new stuff came out (although I have been sticking exclusively to the hardest path).  In general I feel like the weapons have gotten weaker and the upgrades fewer.  I should probably take a break lest I burn myself out before the game's final release.

The further I distance myself from Having Played, the more I wish those things that give you stat upgrades would instead give you permanent random effect upgrades. Make my attacks send out a pulse of fire, turn my jumps into rocket jumps, make taking damage teleport me (with a cooldown) to a random spot (even into enemies) with a temporary invuln, make using my whip just drop a giant bear trap instead of a weak-ass baby-bomb, make throwing a dagger pull all enemies closer to me. And get rid of amulets! Also add a risk to upgrading, so sometimes it's actually a downgrade. Add cursed items that you can't unequip.

You know, make it more like a roguelike with crazy items that drastically affect each run.

I guess I just wish this game was more like Risk of Rain, heh. Which isn't really a fair thing to ask of the game, but alas. (I mean, Risk of Rain had its own problem with lots of runs ending up feeling the same, but that's just because you could repeat levels until you had literally every upgrade possible. But even when they felt the same, they felt _super exciting_.)

I still think it's really good (though haven't played for a while - Prey consumed me, and now Nier is consuming me). But there are things about it that just don't fit my personal taste. C'est la vie.

I totally agree that the flat damage upgrades in the meta-game are dull as heck. It would be way cooler if they indeed add more affixes like the higher-rank items you find in the wild have.

I really like Risk of Rain but Dead Cell's controls and precision and lack of HP sponges make it work way better for me.

That said, I'm in a similar boat as SAM (though I've never even seen the Watcher) in that the game is getting harder, and I'm probably going to take a little break. Doesn't help that I hate the new area, time pressure and zippy enemies are not my thing.

I think having more effects rather than straight upgrades would be neat, but it would also make it a very different game which can either be good or bad.  I'm still pretty happy with how the game currently plays, though some tweaks are definitely needed.

2 hours ago, osmosisch said:

That said, I'm in a similar boat as SAM (though I've never even seen the Watcher) in that the game is getting harder, and I'm probably going to take a little break. Doesn't help that I hate the new area, time pressure and zippy enemies are not my thing.

In theory I should also hate the new area because I dislike those things too, but because I play this game in a speedrunnery kind of way I'm not actually that bothered by it.  I'm more annoyed that I seem to be dying a lot sooner than I was before the recent updates and I can't quite put my finger on why other than decreased weapon effectiveness.

Oh I have to explore every nook and cranny of every map, my lust for goodies is too great. Call me a dwarf.

Oh I always try to explore the full map too, I just constantly run and roll while I do it so the time pressure is much less.  I regularly make the timed doors without really trying to.

I definitely don't make any timed doors unless I'm specifically going for it, except for the promenade one. There's just too many nooks and crannies, even in spite of my indeed constantly running & rolling. We should upload vids and compare! I'm going to see how hard it is to recortd this stuff i think

You're right, that was super painless. Here's a stupid death! It's surprisingly hard to focus when you know you're also being recorded.

Ak gotta jump back in. Saw them just tweet this

also I drew that mushie enemy ;)

The beta branch got another balance update recently that fixes a number of the things I was complaining about earlier.  It's a bit fairer now.  I felt like I wasn't severely underpowered on the hard path.

How many of those wall runes would you normally find in an area? I'm lucky if I find two, which makes me think I'm not paying close enough attention.

Anyway, having played for about 2 hours, I can definitely say I like this game but I don't love it yet. I just got killed in the Old Sewers and lost almost 30 cells (a lot for me, probably a pittance for you veterans) and a rare blueprint. My fault that I died as I was being really overconfident, but it's a little disheartening that those items are gone with no chance of retrieval. I'd like a Bloodborne style system where I can challenge the enemy that killed me in hopes of winning that back. Ah well, once more unto the breach.

The most wall runes I've found in a single level is probably around 10 but I'd say the average is maybe half that.

30 is also about an average number, assuming you've cleared the whole map.  The number of cells you get depends entirely on the number of enemies and even then it's a lot of luck.  You can get a bit more with some skill if you can get into a timed door or spend money on a locked door (assuming you're lucky enough to find one).  Challenge runes also net you some, but only like 8.  Challenge runes and cursed chests are rarely ever worth it I've found.

Aye, I just had a pretty good run and found maybe six wall runes? I put that money to good use in the shops, which always seemed to have level up bonuses for sale. 

The fire grenade is amazing, huh? I found two in my last run and was kicking ass in the Innsmouth place, the first time I'd been there. I'd scamper up a ladder or drop down a ledge, chuck both grenades, and then get out of dodge. I think it was a bomb bat thingy which did for me in the end, which makes sense because I didn't have anything good for targeting them and I was mainly looking out for large groups of enemies to bomb. It was a fun run, but I didn't like the boss on the black bridge very much. Too much health and not enough different attacks.