Sign in to follow this  
Soren Johnson

Designer Notes 27: Lucas Pope

In this episode, Adam Saltsman interviews independent game developer Lucas Pope, best known for the immigration officer simulation Papers Please. They discuss how Naughty Dog taught him to mercilessly cut features, why it might be a good thing if Obra Dinn is bad, and how Adam has time to do these interviews.

Games discussed: Malice, Gearhead Garage, Papers Please, The Republia Times, Return of the Obra Dinn

https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/lucas-pope

Enjoyed this one. I like having context for the work people do; Lucas' account of his time as an indie/licensed games developer as well as how he's motivated by ideas and fun core mechanics helped me understand Papers Please better. As a dad, I also loved the last 20 minutes! I agree that Inbox Zero is much better than letting emails sit for weeks.

Finally listened to this and this is an all-time great Designer Notes. Pope getting extremely existential trying to figure out how to be a Game Dev Dad was open and honest in the best way.

Is there a chunk of the Podcast missing? At 18:58 they are just starting to talk about Naughty Dog, it goes silent for a few seconds, then they are in the midst of a different discussion.