Sign in to follow this  
brkl

Blade Runner 2049

The reason this one jumped out at me was because it made me believe there was way more to the mystery than there was, and because of it I didn't fully 'get' the reveals and emotions the movie was setting up. I don't mind movie logic, except when it undermines my experience of said movie. But it's not a big deal or anything, just something I needed clarification on.

Did anyone notice an abundance of nipples in the movie? I pointed it out to someone I went with and they hadn't noticed many at all, so I'm a bit confused about that.

There are tons of movies without such "movie logic", but then again I think my brain has evolved to ignore stuff like that. I didn't realize the original Blade Runner had so much of it.

I would dispute a few of those, but the point stands. There's a bit of sleight of hand involved in distracting the viewer from that stuff. I think 2049 has bad logic in stuff that the viewer is supposed to think about and try to figure out, not just ancillary stuff. 

3 hours ago, Kyir said:

Did anyone notice an abundance of nipples in the movie? I pointed it out to someone I went with and they hadn't noticed many at all, so I'm a bit confused about that.

Oh man, does Ryan Gosling have like, 12 nipples in this movie? That'd be a way better way of distinguishing androids from real people than some cockamamie empathy test.

2 hours ago, Patrick R said:

Oh man, does Ryan Gosling have like, 12 nipples in this movie? That'd be a way better way of distinguishing androids from real people than some cockamamie empathy test.

Remember when it was a plot point in Man with the Golden Gun that Christopher Lee had three nipples and Roger Moore had to get a fake nipple to infiltrate the organization? The seventies were truly the height of filmmaking...

"I thought one nipple was enough!" - Onibaba from the sixties

(spoiler contains image of nipple, NSFW?)

MONROWE-OniBaba2565.jpg

[edit] Just realized maybe I should hide the actual nipple in a spoiler just in case.

Spoiler

Regarding Wallace spelling things out to Deckard in that scene; remember that he doesn't really know any more than Deckard does what is going on. The whole reason he can't make fertile replicants is because of the blackout/assorted files being lost etc. How is he going to know anything about Deckard any more than anyone else? I figure he's bluffing the whole time, just trying to soften Deckard up so he can get the info he wants out of him. 

Another idle though I had; what if the boy in the orphanage is a total red herring? The reason he stands out to K is that he has identical DNA to the girl, but what if it's the girl that has identical DNA to him? Leaving the only natural born replicant's DNA in some database seems like a really bad idea, so it makes sense to me that they would just copy paste someone else's so that she's kept hidden. Which also gives K the hope that he's the boy, when it's just some random kid used to cover the tracks when they plucked the girl out?

On 22-10-2017 at 12:42 AM, Gormongous said:

Remember when it was a plot point in Man with the Golden Gun that Christopher Lee had three nipples and Roger Moore had to get a fake nipple to infiltrate the organization? The seventies were truly the height of filmmaking...

Veering dangerously off-topic: I recently read Ian Flemings You Only Live Twice, and where the movie has a terrific plot concerning volcanic lairs and stolen spaceshuttles (setting up the very archetype that Dr. Evil later played off of), the book's plot is legitimately bonkers.

Blofeld poses as a herbologist to create a deadly castle garden in Japan, filled with toxic plants and animals, for the express purpose of capitalizing on the Japanese people's inherent death wish and lure them in for exotic suicide. I'm not making this up. This is the actual plot of book.

All I'm saying is, the Bond movies are the sane ones, triple-nipples and all.

On 10/21/2017 at 9:18 AM, Kyir said:

Just saw this for the third time. Still a very good movie. One of my favorites this year. I did not go in watching for nipples specifically, but thinking back, I'm not really seeing an abundance of nipples. What exactly do you mean? I remember nipples in two scenes, I think, plus very briefly when K showers and when Mariette gets out of bed.

11 minutes ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

Just saw this for the third time. Still a very good movie. One of my favorites this year. I did not go in watching for nipples specifically, but thinking back, I'm not really seeing an abundance of nipples. What exactly do you mean? I remember nipples in two scenes, I think, plus very briefly when K showers and when Mariette gets out of bed.

All the instances of human nipples, plus an abundance of statue nipples in that one place, plus at least one instance of giant holographic nipples. I'm sure it's not as many as are in some movies, but they stood out a lot to me for whatever reason here.

What do you mean "all the instances of human nipples?" I can only think of three, two of which (shower + getting out of bed) lasted for about a second at most. I was forgetting the statue nipples, though. I can't remember if the statues even have nipples. They definitely have breasts, but nipples?

I'm seeing silhouette nipples at least:

Blade_Runner_2049_Lighting-865x505.jpg

edit: spoilered in case silhouette statue nipples and silhouette statue sex acts are NSFW

Did we actually see those nipples in the movie, rather than in that behind the scenes shot? That statue on the right of the lady on the guy's shoulders, for instance, basically wasn't in the movie, as far as I can recall. The statue that I can remember we see the chest of is the one at the city outskirts, which is a lady standing upright, and I think she may be lacking nipples. This is, of course, all very crucial information.

Would an abundance of nipples be thematically inappropriate in a movie ruminating on if replicants can procreate? Replicants clearly eat and bleed, and drink like fishes and perhaps can be sustained by whiskey. Wouldnt reproducing require lactating and nursing the baby replicant?

This film asserts procreation is the only thing that makes replicants different from humans. Well along with super human strength, but not always, Dekard himself has no super human strength beyond absorbing punches and living off whiskey.

Edited by plasticflesh
Clarity

There were absolutely up close statue nipples while the drone passed through that area. I would stake my vast fortunes on it.

I have been busy and was only now able to see it in theaters, glad I did because the Visuals were by far my favorite part of the film, especially because overall i thought the film was just ok.

The Good:

- As I said above its a very pretty film, I think it did a good job of capturing the look of the previous movie.

- This movie did a much better job than the Force Awakens of being a sequel to a beloved film without beating you over the head with references. This is how a decades later sequel should be done.

- While I don't love Joi I did like that they let it be ambiguous how real she is. I am of the opinion that she is simply a well programed hologram and wasn't self aware or making decisions for herself, but was programed to be absolutely devoted and acted accordingly. 

- Jared Leto was only in a few scenes.

The Bad:

- The soundtrack was kind of all over the place, it was subtle at times, overdone at times (especially 'emotional' scenes) and the LOUD audio queues were absolutely terrible IMO. I know exactly what parts of the original they are trying to evoke, but when you use it too much it gets grating. Not sure how I felt about them replaying the end music of the original in this one.

- Joi scenes were too long. The rain scene, the sex scene, the death scene were all too long for a character that felt really empty. I would have preferred her being portrayed as an expensive wiafu instead of trying for a Her subplot.

- Multiple scenes were too long and/or unnecessary, the way they handled his memory of the horse was too heavily telegraphed. 

- When I thought K was the child I started to get annoyed at the movie for being shitty and tropey. Then I found out he wasn't the child and I was happier, but I was still annoyed at how badly they handled it.

- Fuck Jared Leto, he is well cast in this movie as an asshole because he is one in real life and he sure as hell looks like one. His speeches were tonally off and stupidly super villain, is this honestly the first time he has said all of this to Luv? How is having children and raising them for YEARS better than mass production? Is it because of the memories maybe?

The Ugly:

- Seriously fuck Jared Leto, why didn't he get his eyes gouged out?

Also its not a romance scene in the original its straight up rape, I don't like watching the original because of that scene.

On 20/05/2017 at 10:04 AM, Ben X said:

What's wrong with Jared Leto? Surely not the Suicide Squad stuff which was mainly not down to him? His actual performance in that was fine and he was good in Dallas Buyers Club, Requiem For A Dream etc.

Well I don't think he was forced to send used condoms and dead vermin to his castmates in Suicide Squad soooo....asshole!

He sent 'out of the wrapper' condoms and a live rat; I'm going to assume it was a reared-from-birth trained rat in a cage, not some rabid rat he captured in a sewer. He's also since said that on set, everyone was laughing about the gifts and were "thrilled to get them." It's a load of PR/media bullshit, and I think it's a bit silly to start marking down other films simply for having him in them because of it.

Leto was fine, I don't quite understand the hate. Anyway, in a few years we'll have the tech to replace him with a CG Bowie as originally intended and everyone will be happy.

Well, the 'gifts' still rank about the same as George Clooney shitting in Richard Kind's cat litter tray, to me, but the stuff in that article is gross, hadn't seen that.