Sign in to follow this  
brkl

Blade Runner 2049

Shit. Rogerebert.com gave it four stars, but then rogerbert.com ain't no Roger Ebert.

How do you guys feel about the new Blade Runner (which isn't out)? The teaser felt really good to me, but the two thirds of the trailer I saw was the opposite; what I feared, really. 

3 hours ago, brkl said:

Shit. Rogerebert.com gave it four stars, but then rogerbert.com ain't no Roger Ebert.

How do you guys feel about the new Blade Runner (which isn't out)? The teaser felt really good to me, but the two thirds of the trailer I saw was the opposite; what I feared, really. 

I do not have high hopes. I liked the very first teaser but that trailer with Jared Letos stupid face in it puts me off. 

I hadn't seen anything before going to see Alien last night and I saw the trailer.  Before seeing the trailer I didn't know Jared Leto was in it, but even without that the trailer looked so bad that I have no plans to see it unless I hear it's incredible when it comes out.

What's wrong with Jared Leto? Surely not the Suicide Squad stuff which was mainly not down to him? His actual performance in that was fine and he was good in Dallas Buyers Club, Requiem For A Dream etc.

I don't have a problem with Leto, but I'm not a fan of the character shown in the trailer. 

Feels like they're trying for a bit of Ex Machina in their Blade Runner. It's dangerous to judge a film on a trailer, but it seems like Leto's character is little too overtly evil instead of the far creepier dad-vibes Tyrell had. But we'll see!

Just watched the trailer - at first I was worried it looked far too CG, but there seems to be a lot of physical sets and stuff in there too, which will be needed to capture the same sense of wonder as the first film, I think. I wasn't put off by one character having clouded eyes, anyway..!

I suspect it will be merely okay, but at least doesn't look dreadful from this trailer.

I've hated this movie since it was announced, it might be a bit premature and childish but I'm just not confident enough in the director or Hollywood to make a new blade runner movie worthy of it's predecessor. I've seen some of Villeneuve's films (Arrival, Prisoners and Sicario) and I haven't liked any of them. There has always been something in each of them that turned me off. In Arrival it was the pessimistic view on how people would react as aliens came to visit our world. In Prisoners it was the way that characters were justified for acting like shit as long as they showed results. In Sicario it was the headshots.

Now I might be overreacting in my dislike of his movies because I didn't like the idea of a new Blade Runner movie or because all the love and hype around him on Twitter and Reddit just made me raise an eyebrow and think - "Is this guy really the one we should be cheer this loudly for?".

I watched a side by side comparison someone put together where they matched the trailer with photos from the original film. And what I saw was the difference in what I would call dirty lived in sets. The first movie seemed to have a lot more dust and soot everywhere and you could see the thick smoke-filled air. It's a suffocating atmosphere. In this new movie the sets seem to be a lot more spare and minimalist. Something that's a lot more common in contemporary science fiction movies.

Besides that I don't really feel I have anything else to go to at the moment. How someone acts in a trailer doesn't really tell me much as it's taken out of context and "plot is highly overrated anyways".

3 hours ago, simonster said:

I've hated this movie since it was announced, it might be a bit premature and childish but I'm just not confident enough in the director or Hollywood to make a new blade runner movie worthy of it's predecessor. I've seen some of Villeneuve's films (Arrival, Prisoners and Sicario) and I haven't liked any of them. There has always been something in each of them that turned me off. In Arrival it was the pessimistic view on how people would react as aliens came to visit our world. In Prisoners it was the way that characters were justified for acting like shit as long as they showed results. In Sicario it was the headshots.

I'm not recommending that you watch another movie from a director you dislike, but Enemy is far and away my favorite of Villeneuve's work. It's not really about nice people either, so... yeah.

Super down on the existence of this movie, though. I just think of Harrison Ford's t-shirt and jeans costume and it makes me feel totally enervated.

On 5/20/2017 at 2:04 AM, Ben X said:

What's wrong with Jared Leto? Surely not the Suicide Squad stuff which was mainly not down to him? His actual performance in that was fine and he was good in Dallas Buyers Club, Requiem For A Dream etc.

Yeah I should also clarify I was just talking about the character, I don't mind Jared Leto, in fact I'm actually a hige MY So Called Life fan.  I just found his character in the trailer completely put me off this film. 

I have also disliked heavily this sequel since it was announced. Even more after seeing the trailers. It just doesn't have any of the original's feel.

Modern movie makers just don't know how to make a dirty looking movie. It all feels artificial in this one

Also, the original was such catastrophic mess that it only became the cult legend movie that it is after massive constant rewrites, background fighting and huge production issues. It was just somehow pulled together in the end to become a mind blowing movie.

I wonder if Villeneuve and his crew have even gone to Japan to get the artistic views that Scott got when he went walking the Tokyo streets at night and seeing the industrial harbour of Kawasaki.

The trailer seems a lot like the end of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep where Deckard flies through a sandstorm and finds

Spoiler

what he thinks is a real live animal

that alone gives me a little hope for this movie but that scene with Harrison Ford, continuing to not give a single fuck but still somehow being cast in yet another movie, is hard to watch.

There's a new trailer out and it didn't help at all. I feel like there are more talking heads in those trailers than the whole of Blade Runner. I'm probably wrong, but I don't expect much more from the film than synth sounds and generic cyberpunk esthetics. 

Why is Harrison Ford still acting? All of his major roles have been really bad in the past almost 10 years.

Does he even get good salary at this point in his career?

2 hours ago, Kolzig said:

Why is Harrison Ford still acting? All of his major roles have been really bad in the past almost 10 years.

I'm sure they make it worth his time, and its worth it for the movie's promotion to have the 80's action hero in there, so everybody wins...except for people who like to watch movies.

I'm thinking one of the few things they won't have trouble recapturing from the original film is Ford's performance as Deckard...

7 hours ago, Kolzig said:

Maybe he found a way to take it with him.

Villeneuve is pretty good, and the trailer has some decent vibe, but everything looks too big and too important for our hero. like everything revolves around our main character who is there for something major, which undermines so much of the power of the original. i hope they manage to keep the super kinetic action to a minimum. 

I'm getting increasingly distraught at how much the new film is marketed and how bad it looks in all of it. Explosions, world domination plots et cetera. It looks a lot like the Destiny 2 adverts I'm also constantly subjected to. I hope the marketing push ends soon, because I can't avoid it. Very little chance the film isn't just a cash-in of the reverence the original film has gathered in the past couple of decades in the shape of essentially a Marvel superhero film.

I finally watched all three short movies they have released as promotional stuff for the movie.

I was actually surprised that the anime by Shinichirō Watanabe was the worst one, I was expecting it to be the other way around.

Jared Leto surprised in the Nexus Dawn clip that he can act and be menacing. I thought he is always hammy and overacting.

Wrestling Batista surprised me also that he can act. He was very good in the Nowhere to Run clip.

The only good part about the anime Blade Runner 2022 was that they got Edward James Olmos back to voice Gaff.

I have decided that I will watch the movie. But not now this week when it comes out, I will watch it later this month or beginning of next month in Japan so I can experience it in IMAX. That I can't do in Finland. The premiere in Japan is also later than elsewhere, on 27th October. I still don't have a good feeling about this movie and I don't buy into all the rave previews and reviews that have been around the net recently.

I really hope they don't go the way that this Gosling character is some superhero who is the key to everything that only he can solve all this shit.

Also, EA and Warner and everyone involved should sort out their mess and release Westwood Studios Blade Runner adventure game now in autumn in GOG and Steam. It's such a great game.

Got to see this yesterday at an early screening and I really enjoyed it. As a fan of Blade Runner I thought it was a worthy follow up that respects so much from the original film in a way that so many sequels made long after don't. It's definitely not an action movie, it's paced very much like Blade Runner. It also looks absolutely gorgeous and the performances are all pretty damn good. I'm really looking forward to watching it again. As an additional point, my flat mate isn't a big fan of Blade Runner and thought it was just OK, so it's probably not going to be converting anyone.

Hah, I really want to believe you guys, and there was an interview in my morning paper where Villeneuve said all the right things. But the bits I've seen of the thing really turn me off. 

I said this on facebook 'If the film is half as good as this interview then I am sold'

Honestly, having Ford going into interviews not really giving a shit is the biggest delight. The film seems almost worth it just for these: