Sign in to follow this  
xchen

American Gods (TV series)

Just watched the pilot and wasn't terribly impressed. I remember liking the book a lot, but I must have read it more than 10 years ago and now I'm wondering whether I'd still think it's cool if I read it again. It looks great visually, though.

I read the book years ago and found it interesting but not that satisfying. Though I had a sneaking suspicion it was too clever for me.

The pilot was pretty cool, just lots of weird stuff basically.

I remember thinking the book was ok, but I'd read it just after reading Tim Powers' Last Call which I thought was a more interesting take on a similar theme.

I tried reading American Gods years ago and stopped half-way through because I wasn't into it at all.  Then I read Anansi Boys and absolutely loved it.  After that I went back and read American Gods and still didn't like it.  If any of the Anansi Boys stuff ends up in the show I might check it out, otherwise I'm passing for now.

3 hours ago, TheLastBaron said:

I tried reading American Gods years ago and stopped half-way through because I wasn't into it at all.  Then I read Anansi Boys and absolutely loved it.  After that I went back and read American Gods and still didn't like it.  If any of the Anansi Boys stuff ends up in the show I might check it out, otherwise I'm passing for now.

I don't know anything about it but I believe there's a BBC Anansi Boys adaptation in the works.

I actually enjoyed the second episode more than the first one, and supposedly it could get interesting starting from the 3rd or 4th one, although I personally don't remember where in the book the tension started rising.

Yeah I'm still not 100% convinced but after two episodes I'm still willing to see where it goes. I really like the direction and production sensibilities - Bryan Fuller has pulled over the sensuously sinister vibe Hannibal had. Also the casting just seems really on the money.

So far I think it's more immediately interesting than the book. And I love the cast. IMO it, Twin Peaks, and Legion are the most interesting things on TV right now

So Season 1 is over. Has anyone else been watching it? I guess we're hiding stuff behind spoilers

I really enjoyed it. I got no idea what they're going to do now, it's pretty wildly diverging from the book as far as I remember.

I've been watching it but I had no idea that was the season finale. They're really stretching this out. I'm enjoying the ride, because I still dig the style I mentioned earlier in the thread. I do hope they've got a good plan for where this is going, though, because it's definitely a story that could meander around to no purpose otherwise.

Gayman is writing a sequel book

i listened to a podcast a while back with gayman and it sounds like they have multiple seasons penned out. Like 5 season worth

On 6/20/2017 at 2:26 PM, Gwardinen said:

I've been watching it but I had no idea that was the season finale. They're really stretching this out. I'm enjoying the ride, because I still dig the style I mentioned earlier in the thread. I do hope they've got a good plan for where this is going, though, because it's definitely a story that could meander around to no purpose otherwise.

I don't actually mind if they meander...I never really cared about the main plot in the book, it's the setting and mythos that were interesting.  For the most part I feel the same in the show, though at least they've made shadow and laura a little more interesting.  The bilquis and anansi scenes are hands down the best parts.  Though I will say the casting of the new gods and Wednesday really elevate the main plot scenes a lot for me.  

I don't mind the small side stories, but episode 7 was a terrible waste of time. It spend a whole episode on a bland story that could have been told in a shorter way with the same effect. I am also finding some of the dialogue to be very pointless. If we learn nothing from an entire back and forth, why put it in?

I like the style and the weirdness, but I don't think the show is being made well, its spending too much time spinning its wheels to be a great one.

I stopped watching after episode 3 or 4, just didn't remember to watch the next one. But I think I'll get back to it soon.

[edit] Tried to resume from episode 4, but less than 10 minutes in I'm totally bored and I stopped. I think sadly this series is not for me, although I've even said on various occasions that the book is one of my favourites. Still might pick it up again if opportunity favours it, but not sure. It's like the director thinks the name of the show/writer is enough motivation for anything that's happening. I don't see any motivation inside the work.

Ep 4 was where it started to pick up for me - all the random weirdness starts to coalesce into a story. Having said that, it does continue to meander and go slow, but I found there was something more to hang onto. Overall I enjoyed the season and will watch the next one.

(You should at least get to the end of episode 5 so you can see the series debut of the actor whose name you may have noticed in the titles but who does not appear before then).