Jake

Important If True 12: Once You Start, You Can't Stop

Important If True 12:

Important If True 12

Once You Start, You Can't Stop
One day you open the photos app on your cell phone and find it's identified and categorized all of your best friends. Why look, there's a whole album of Chris playing Jurassicanji. Do you even know anyone named Chris? And there's your buddy Herbert. You don't recognize him, but your phone does, so you go with it. It even correctly sorted all of your anthropomorphic candy friends -- including the skinless ones. But why does it think the genie from Aladdin is also this disheveled man covered in dirt? And it has the new Jaws, but why doesn't it have the old Jaws? How is it saying this chicken is a dinosaur? And why is it confusing your dad with a werewolf? We're out of ideas, but we'll be happy to pass you on to a support manager. Please enjoy this podcast while you hold.

Send us email at [email protected]. If you enjoyed this and would like to subscribe to an ad-free feed, please consider supporting Idle Thumbs by backing our Patreon.

Discussed: Jurassicanji by Nick Breckon, iOS photos app, unwanted facial recognition, the largest M&Ms Store in the world, Universal Studios Florida, Disney MGM Studios, Jaws

Chris' Endorsement: Review (Amazon, iTunes)

Nick's Endorsement: Actually get a flu shot.

Jake's Endorsement: Cybernetic memory enhancement

I went to the M&M's store on the Las Vegas strip, and if the one in London is EVEN BIGGER than this enormous world of M&M's then that's a shock. It's about as big as a supermarket.

I went for the same reason Chris did, it's completely bizarre. It's like walking into an alternate history where M&M's were as big as Harry Potter or Star Wars.

Nobody's having an M&M's wedding at M&M's world, you can't trick me into believing that.

EDIT:

51rkp4Cbs-L.jpg

This is a grand conspiracy. M&M's are not this beloved, don't fall for it.

Holy shit this M&M segment is literally killing me, I haven't laughed so hard in a while.

Also "I Was Entertained by It, so I Will Tell You" (said by Jake before the photo bit) sounds like the alternate title to this podcast.

I'm an Aussie but had never heard of the original Review with Myles Barlow. A fair few people seem to prefer the Andy Daly version as it delves into the character and continuity while the original is more a dark sketch show, but it looks like most of the Aussie series can be watched online for free. Maybe check it out for comparison or to be baffled by cultural references.

I watched the first episode:

Review With Myles Barlow - s01e01

Stealing

Running Out Your Partner

Dickheads

Bushranging

Risk

Myles Barlow is a critic who reviews life experiences in response to viewer questions. Barlow reviews real-life experiences such as being a murderer and a drug-mule, the rush of pleasure as he pays for sex and the bleakness of living on the streets.

Thanks for reminding me about the brief season 3 of Review! Really enjoyed the first two series but forget they were going to put some more episodes out. 

Andy Daly is a hilarious character comedian and improviser who never seemed to find real mainstream success, he pops up now and then in a few movies and shows but usually just bit parts. 

Before Review, I mostly knew him from his many character appearances on podcasts like Comedy Bang Bang (previously Comedy Death Ray Radio) over the years.

He also did a short podcast series of his own with multiple characters dubbed the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project that's worth checking out. He also has an older comedy album release called 9 Sweaters that's full of his various characters.

1 hour ago, Paul Smith said:

I'm an Aussie but had never heard of the original Review with Myles Barlow. A fair few people seem to prefer the Andy Daly version as it delves into the character and continuity while the original is more a dark sketch show, but it looks like most of the Aussie series can be watched online for free. Maybe check it out for comparison or to be baffled by cultural references.

Stealing

Running Out Your Partner

Dickheads

Bushranging

Risk

Myles Barlow is a critic who reviews life experiences in response to viewer questions. Barlow reviews real-life experiences such as being a murderer and a drug-mule, the rush of pleasure as he pays for sex and the bleakness of living on the streets.

I'll check it out, thanks!

The comparison is interesting as I think the continuity and character is a huge part of what makes Review so good. The fact that all of these insane reviews actually stack onto Forrest's increasingly fucked life is what gives the series so much horrible (and funny) gravity, I think.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

I'll check it out, thanks!

The comparison is interesting as I think the continuity and character is a huge part of what makes Review so good. The fact that all of these insane reviews actually stack onto Forrest's increasingly fucked life is what gives the series so much horrible (and funny) gravity, I think.

I thought of a question I'll send to questions@ for if you do watch it before next episode of IIT.

I've now binge watched the first five episodes and have found there is a little continuity but it's very very subtle. No producer or other staff member ever appears (so far) so it's really not a show in a show as you describe. I like it but I suspect you won't like it as much as the US version. I suggest if you don't want to watch them all, find an episode with topics similar to some of the more interesting ones from the US version (eg. Ep2 features the divorce).

I don't know if this makes it better or worse, but I think the green M&M character is a direct reference to the once popular urban legend that the dye in the green M&M's were an aphrodisiac.

I heard that but the more popular urban legend at my middle school was that yellow Starburst shrunk your penis/testicles, which I think was a bastardization of the "yellow dye #5 lowers sperm count" thing.

20 minutes ago, Patrick R said:

I don't know if this makes it better or worse, but I think the green M&M character is a direct reference to the once popular urban legend that the dye in the green M&M's were an aphrodisiac.

I heard that but the more popular urban legend at my middle school was that yellow Starburst shrunk your penis/testicles, which I think was a bastardization of the "yellow dye #5 lowers sperm count" thing.

I believe this is correct. "There's something about the green ones..." or something to that effect, was used as an ad slogan for a while, playing into that. I almost got into it on the podcast but the talk about them peeling their skin off and stuff was well on it's way and very good (and I legit dislike and am grossed out by the M&M mascots so I was admittedly failing to fully engage in that conversation :( ).

The brown M&M and skinless joke was actually done very obnoxiously in one of their advertisements. It's disgusting and I wish I could erase it from my memory.

On 5/6/2017 at 6:30 AM, Paul Smith said:

Stealing

Running Out Your Partner

Dickheads

Bushranging

Risk

I'm an aussie too. It always surprises me how unpopular Review with Myles Barlow was here, hardly anyone has heard of it but the show was brilliant.

Jurassicanji reminded me that I was also a garbage child who filled my creative writing exercises with creatures from Final Fantasy 8.

My school district's gifted and talented program had a creative writing competition that I entered every year. My most successful entry was my sixth- or seventh-grade attempt, which was the plot to the pilot of Star Trek: Voyager stripped of all its sci-fi trappings and written in rhyming verse as a Greek-style tragedy, titled "The Few Intrepid." Even at the time of writing, I remember finding it painfully pompous and turgid, but I didn't have a concept of editing or revising at that point in my life, so I just turned in all eight single-spaced pages (I just checked, in my memory it was twenty-five or twenty-six pages at least) and they gave me the runner-up award, in what I presume was an effort to make me give up and go away. Oof.

I got good marks for a short story plagiarised from a Footrot Flats comic. I renamed the dog Scruff-Wruff.

I showed it to my Mum and she told me off. I don't know why I didn't think she'd notice, the comic had been sitting in the family toilet's magazine rack for years.

My brain, after listening to you segue from discussions about Jaws to your endorsements, filed them away as endorsals.

Fin. 

If we are plugging Andy Daly stuff, I will mention his insanely good (and also just insane) job as L. Ron Hubbard on the now defunct Dead Authors Podcast. The first part being so bananas they ended up having to bring him back for a second episode to wrap things up.

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-45-part-1-l-ron-hubbard-featuring-andrew-daly

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-45-part-2-l-ron-hubbard-featuring-andy-daly

I guess M&M Australia decided to have some kind of M&M election, and decided that "Miss Green" was both a stripper and some sort of anti-deforestation eco-activist.  Thus was born this travesty:

vote-green.jpg

25 minutes ago, Professor Video Games said:

If we are plugging Andy Daly stuff, I will mention his insanely good (and also just insane) job as L. Ron Hubbard on the now defunct Dead Authors Podcast. The first part being so bananas they ended up having to bring him back for a second episode to wrap things up.

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-45-part-1-l-ron-hubbard-featuring-andrew-daly

http://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-45-part-2-l-ron-hubbard-featuring-andy-daly

I miss that podcast a lot.

On 2017-5-6 at 10:41 AM, Paul Smith said:

I thought of a question I'll send to questions@ for if you do watch it before next episode of IIT.

I've now binge watched the first five episodes and have found there is a little continuity but it's very very subtle. No producer or other staff member ever appears (so far) so it's really not a show in a show as you describe. I like it but I suspect you won't like it as much as the US version. I suggest if you don't want to watch them all, find an episode with topics similar to some of the more interesting ones from the US version (eg. Ep2 features the divorce).

I forgot what my question was going to be. You're on your own, Mr Remo.

This article comparing the two versions of Review is well worth reading: 

http://splitsider.com/2015/10/viewing-the-review-that-inspired-review/