wizardjam5_banner.thumb.png.f52b50fbbb5ba9fc48ad0f6489c5f983.png

Hello everyone! There will be another Wizard Jam in June. If you're new to the community, Wizard Jam is the community-run game jam we host twice a year.

Wizard Jam is not a contest; the main emphasis is to celebrate the Thumbs community through sharing and collaboration over the course of a fortnight. We write devlogs and post GIFs. We offer support and volunteer music, sounds and other assets. We play each other's games and stream them. It's a lot of fun.

The other thing we try to emphasise is encouraging people to try making something new and unfamiliar; or to try game development for the first time entirely (quite a few of the entries we've had in the past are from complete first-timers to gamedev!). We run the jam over the course of two weeks to give people the room to try something weird and see how it turns out.

date.png.0667c030e164935705ca01f464f4e1f3.png

Wizard Jam - Friday 2nd June to Sunday 18th June

Showcase Weekend - Saturday 24th June to Sunday 25th June

theme.png.84e47effded14a3c6174e0886d46f445.png
Choose an episode title from any show on the Idle Thumbs podcast network and use it as a theme prompt for your game. Use this site to browse through show titles: http://randomthumbs.danjohnmoran.com/ (Thanks to Broxxar, Panzorfork & matt.ishii for providing the site)
diversifiers.png.e4c62b79f90ce05fd4ddb8305d11a79f.png
The diversifiers are an optional challenge for the jam. They're creative prompts, designed to help you design a game around a specific limitation (or set of limitations). You can choose as many (or as few) as you like and incorporate them into your game.

"2D's company, 3D's a crowd" Make a 3D game using only 2D graphics.
Limited Vocabulary Limit your player's verbs (run, jump, punch) to just one! Make a game that explores that verb to its fullest.
"You Just Played Yourself 🔑" Make a game where you play against yourself, or a game where your past movements or actions are important in some way.
Hoisted The game conspires to destroy the player in some way; or the game allows the player to be the cause of their own undoing.
Texture Thrift Use the same art/prop asset as many times as possible in your game, whilst obscuring the fact you are doing this.
Frug Froctions Include another, entirely separate game inside your game.

important.png.aac5a0f7ab127e5ca051490e99bcfcd3.png
  1. This jam is not a competition, and there is no minimum level of game development experience needed to join. People from all backgrounds are  welcome to participate. If you're new to gamedev, let us know! Join us on the forums and on Slack; where you'll find help, advice and encouragement from the community. 
  2. Entries containing any form of harassment or hate-speech are not permitted. Anything crossing into this territory will be removed.

Use this subforum to make development log threads, recruit folks, and chat about development related stuff! There's also the game development subforum and the #wizardjam slack channel. If you aren't a already a member of the slack group and would like an invite, send me a private message at @zerofiftyone and I will make sure you get access.

For Wizard Jam 5, we're trying something new! After the jam finishes, we'll be hosting a Showcase Weekend; an opportunity for everybody to step back from the game making process and look at what everyone else has made; with an emphasis on giving feedback and comments to fellow creators. It's covered in the schedule below, and there'll be more details to follow.

eventschedule.thumb.png.c99459d1fcf2fa27fb6aa66ac61f27ad.png

HERE'S THE PAGE WHERE YOU CAN SUBMIT YOUR GAME : [https://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam-5]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Browse Past Wizard Jams:

xsdmyoi.png

Wizard Jam (Apr 2015)

Subforum Link

Itch.io Link

KwbFT5M.png

Winter Wizard Jam (Nov/Dec 2015)

Subforum Link

Itch.io Link

KwbFT5M.png.85e8f0da124dd048b2754ada3e900084.png

Wizard Jam 2016 (May 2016)

Subforum Link

Itch.io Link

KwbFT5M.png.f62dace35ea1e3879e9aa8eb719057ef.png

Wizard Jam 4 (Nov/Dec 2016)

Subforum Link

Itch.io Link

Sweet! Are all the other threads going to get put into a WJ4 sub-forum?

2 hours ago, Ben X said:

Yes, that's the plan. Should hopefully happen soon-ish. :)

Woo! Thanks Zero! This'll mark the third year of wizard jams and I continue to be delighted by the stuff everyone puts together. As always, we've been chatting a bit about how we can improve the jam and if anyone has suggestions now would be the time to post 'em or drop in the slack channel and let us know what we can do to make this as positive an experience as possible for everyone.

9 hours ago, Ben X said:

Its a me, I'm behind on this. 

I'm in! 

And I've got help this time! Watch out!

Edit: Hey I think you got the dates wrong up there! Isn't it until Sunday the 18th not the 22nd?

5 hours ago, z_bill said:

I'm in! 

And I've got help this time! Watch out!

Edit: Hey I think you got the dates wrong up there! Isn't it until Sunday the 18th not the 22nd?

Thanks, well spotted :) 

These dates match up perfectly when I'm selling my PC and moving across the country, so I'm going to sit this one out. But if anyone needs any miscellaneous assets/voicework I'd be happy to help!

Yes! So excited for this! 

I have a pretty ambitious plan for my game but I'm quitting my job soon so I should have plenty of time to make it. 

I'm excited! I am super busy this year and will not have time to participate but I will pledge now to play every game I am capable of (no VR headset or controller that connects to my laptop), and of course my soundbank is always available for anyone looking for quick music.

Totally in. I'll be away for the first 6 days, but I'll make a mid-jam power move (TM) and jump in for the last bit. WOO.

Can't wait!! For about a year now I've been itching to make a fiddly, 16-bit-style survival backpacking sim...

I'm thinking "Old Fruit and Dirty Water" would be a pretty great title :)

I have a thesis to finish, a big project at work and a bunch of ideas for games to make. If I can get the first two out of the way, I'll do something!

Also I have a testimonial for people who might be on the fence about taking part: last WizJam was the very first time I ever made a game and the first time I used Unity. Since then, I've given a talk about Unity at the university, and was hired for a short project partly because I can do stuff on it. Wizard Jam is good for you!

Nice, I think I might be able to actually participate in this one! I'm going away on the 14th, but I'm sure I can get something done before then. At the very least I'll be able to make some dumb garbage

Awesome, I'm excited for this. I'll be away for the first half, but I should still have enough time to make a thing. Worst case, maybe I can help someone with Unity/Blender/audio.

Have people had luck crowdsourcing voice recordings during previous jams? I remember seeing others try this last year. I'm considering putting out a call for recordings of readers yelling "ATTACK!" in as medieval a voice as possible, but idk if people would be into that.

I really like how zerofiftyone summarized/described Wizard Jam in that intro post, also very excited to see the new trailer!

Totally in. Can't wait to participate in my first wizard jam. This is the point where I reference a bird noise is it not?

I have less time than ever, and I will still be trying to contribute music to as many games as possible!