Vasari

Click on this thread about Prey, it's definitely not a mimic

I'll be interested to know what you think when you finish the game. I remember coming across that audio log but not really paying it much mind because I was focused on some other stuff in the level.

I went back and listened to the audio log again. They specifically mention repeating simulated experiences, which made me connect back to the initial twist.

It's pretty common that I pick out the clues that are foreshadowing the ending, so it doesn't ruin it or anything, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if that isn't the final twist.

I recently bought this. 90% of the reason was that I heard a ton of great stuff about it and wanted to play it, 10% of the reason is that I wanted to listen to the two latest Idle Thumbs episodes but I don't want anything spoiled so I gotta play the game first. Anyways I played a few hours and it's fucking amazing. It's more or less literally System Shock 3, but with a great dash of paranoia thanks to those fuckin' mimics. I've been saving up all my neuromods and haven't used 'em yet, but the game has started getting harder (I'm playing on Hard) so I think I'll have to upgrade at some point.

Yeah, while I'm sure anything is possible I definitely don't think the game is balanced around a no-neuromods run, especially on the harder difficulties hahaha.

I still love this game, and I'll probably do a second playthrough soon. I started replaying SS2 and my feeling was "ehhh.... I could be playing Prey instead!"

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, sclpls said:

I'll be interested to know what you think when you finish the game. I remember coming across that audio log but not really paying it much mind because I was focused on some other stuff in the level.

It's a long time after, but I just finished this so here are my thoughts

I actually enjoyed the ending quite a bit. Not only was I a mimic, but the entire thing was a simulation. I definitely didn't see that coming. I also liked how the "big" decision you make at the end doesn't really matter to the ending you get, and instead it's the small choices in the middle that really matter. I only wish that they had filled in a little more information linking the stuff in the simulation to the city covered in nodes. Even if it was a few sentences, I would have liked to know what happened to the real Morgan, how those folks were all implanted into robots, and how the world ended. Since Alex is revealing the world to person who has no memories of it, it doesn't seem like it would have been too difficult to wedge that in there. Oh well, Prey 2 I guess.

Finished Prey yesterday. On PS4. 32 hours playtime. Started on Normal, ended on Nightmare.

Here's some random gameplay bits and pieces I recorded, nothing too spoilery.

As has been pointed out in this thread, the BIG CHOICES are handled well. I think it one-ups the Deus Ex games by not just introducing your options in the final level, instead you're told about this stuff early and you have the entire game to mull things over before deciding. Makes it feel more meaningful. And yes, I love how robust this game's systems are, like every corpse being named AND trackable from the security stations. Only thing I didn't like was that the pacing is a bit uneven. I thought the endgame was about to start when

Spoiler

I went to meet Alex the first time(before Dahl shows up)

but instead there's another 5-10 hours of game still after that.

Overall though, best immersive sim since Deus Ex! :tup:

i done goofed and put this in the fake thread goddamnit

Spoiler

So I killed alex before sitting down to blow up with the station, despite setting up the shuttle. In the post credits judging scene i thought oh boy he is not gonna like that. The high point of my experience with the narrative was when he didn't even bring it up; one of the operators mentioned '...he did kill you', to which he basically said yea fair deuce i was an ass. Good stuff. Also enjoyed getting let off the hook for deleting the evidence about that womans dad, because hey, now was not the time, and morgan was gonna eat it anyway in the explosion. Did a great job of turning the boring ass selfless/selfish duality of bioshock into a set of genuinely sticky situations, and acknowledging the range of motivations a person could have in response to them.

ALSO

Spoiler

Anyone escape through alex's pod? you can get out like halfway through the game, and you're left with an audio clip of the protag coming out of the simulation. You straight up explicitly get the twist ages before it happens. It's great.

Spoiler

I escaped from the pod, just to see what would happen, before i reached the end. Still didn't expect the twist but even before then I was pretty confident I was a typhon/human hybrid so i wasnt so far off! 

After all the recommendations for Prey, I'm playing the demo, and it's really good in some ways. But in other ways, it starts resembling BioShock in a lot of ways and I got tired of that some time ago. Is it more like BioShock or more like Deus Ex Human Revolution? To be honest, if it's a very long game, I might still skip it since I haven't even found time for the next Deus Ex after Human Revolution.

I guess I meant whether it’s more arcade’y and shooter’y as I consider BioShock or immersive sim like Deus Ex

I'd say it's pretty close to the two System Shock games, which I guess are sort of between BioShock and Deus Ex if you play Deus Ex in a way where you don't shoot a lot of people. Deus Ex can be played as a shooter though so it's sort of hard to know what exactly you mean. If you're asking whether you can use stealth to get around all the enemies, I think the answer is mostly no, but sometimes yes, whereas in BioShock it's always no. So maybe that answers the question.

My wife also picked this up for us over the holiday and I've been getting stuck in.  I know that there's supposed to be a dozen possible solutions to problems but my idiot lizard brain still goes in Video game Shoot Stuff Mode whenever I see a badguy and inevitably I wind up pulling aggro for every typhon on the level at once and promptly eating shit.  But I'm doing the no typhon abilities run and so far most of my skill points are stacked in weapons+stealth, which only works when you can pick them off one at a time.

(also I somehow got all the way to deep storage without getting a gloo cartridge fab plan? I am starting to suspect I missed it early in the game and am now suffering for it.)

edit:

Spoiler

I just looked it up and they're in morgan's office safe.  Jesus.