Sign in to follow this  
coughlinjon

[Dev Log] The Eyes of Cheatin' Hitman

The Eyes of Cheatin' Hitman: https://coughlinjon.itch.io/the-eyes-of-cheatin-hitman 

This game started as a WJ4 project, and it evolved into a portfolio piece. I got selected to show it in the Minnecade portion of GlitchCon in Minneapolis March 5-7. I met the GlitchCon people last week at their co-working space and they're really nice :). 

I thought this game was dead, but I've decided to put one last coat of polish on it before the show. I'm going to solicit feedback assessing this project as more than a jam game but also as something experimental (and not for sale). I'll post an updated build later today for anyone interested in helping with criticism :)

camerawave.gif.5cb25a42a0520cae9837e577b99d1b65.gif

Also, I'll be streaming most of my development at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3dMURI0ASvjVy7VMp4fzQA/live  

I'll track my to-do list here :)

GlitchCon To-Do List

Features

• End-Game Credits Interaction
  • More interaction in all rooms
  • Add more distance to sewer tunnel
  • Finish balloon machine
  • Make Balloons pop
  • "Blend-in" activities
  • Pause control on grab, force look

Polish

• Intro fishing
    • Rescale fish
    • Speed up
    • Add jumping fish?
    • Attach fish animations
  • Fix waiter barks
  • Remove unconscious waiter from ballroom after bathroom sequence
  • Smooth waiter zoom
  • Remove lateral motion while on unicycle
  • Bake bathroom lights, stop flickering
  • Convert axe to new click system
  • Connect new click axe to game state manager
  • FPE controller
    • fix jerky rotation at end of FPcam override
    • fix fishing hands at end of intro sequence
  • Audio leveling object to prioritize essential dialog
  • Audio
    • Clean, equalize all vocal tracks
    • Add sound effects
    •  

This sweet sweet laffy daffy game. Image result for laughy daffy clowns 

Unfortunately my computer had a moment and crashed during the send in the clowns song so iv got to go back and finish it but I really like what I saw so far. The blendo esque cuts are so effective, Waiter death sequence in particular. Out of curiousity how did you do the cutscene stuff? Within unity? Or rendered in blender/maya/maxetc?
Also there were a few bugs: a green orb was ever present in the middle bottom of the screen which I dont think was intentional and I had a lot of lighting issues (which is probably specific to my computer). Really though I dig your creativity with this thing.

4 minutes ago, infamous space turtle said:

This sweet sweet laffy daffy game. Unfortunately my computer had a moment and crashed during the send in the clowns song so iv got to go back and finish it but I really like what I saw so far. The blendo esque cuts are so effective, I laughed during waiter bathroom sequence. Out of curiousity how did you do the cutscene stuff? Within unity? Or rendered in blender/maya/maxetc?
Also there were a few bugs: a green orb was ever present in the middle bottom of the screen which I dont think was intentional and I had a lot of lighting issues (which im sure is specific to my computer). Really though I dig your creativity with this thing.

I'm glad you like the Blendo cuts! that's one area I'm targeting to make more effective - I'm going to try and start the music a second or two before the cut to help smooth the experience since lots of folks unfamiliar with Blendo find them jarring :sad:

The cutscenes are all rendered in real-time with a spline-based camera cart tool I created for the same purpose and the Unity animator. If you ever stop by my twitch channel and want to see, just shout out and I'll walk you though :) Here is a gif of the opening mission briefing track, though:

camspline.gif.a53f974f5488d11471ee242f337210d3.gif

The green orb is your clown nose ;) I need to do a better job telegraphing that - I'm planning to add an animation to left mouse click that honks the nose with the player hand each click when the hand has no prop.

Thank you for playing! and thanks for the feedback

I think the suddenness of the jump can also be really effective IE the waiter sequence. Its part of the style imo and I think it does a great job of communicating quickly what larger a game would do with more time, assets and mechanics. There are a few I thought were slightly off where maybe im approaching a door and it cuts slightly too soon but otherwise I dig. 

Oh that's really cool, I think i'll hit you up on twitch some time. 

Ah haha that makes sense, yeah honking may make it clearer. Maybe if it were red aswell cause that's the stereotypical clown nose color but idk. 

:tup:

I looked at your site, and I think it looks pretty good! I personally don't care for that one scrolling page format, but I know it is popular, so it's probably a good choice.

Recruiters should be impressed at your aerospace engineering experience and hire you immediately. Imagine if there was someone with even more aerospace engineering experience! They would be unstoppable!!!

Here's a feature that I've wanted in the game since its conception - a balloon machine. Spence modeled the hardware before the original 2 week jam deadline and it's just been sitting in the game as "out of order" for 3 months since. I'm finally bringing the balloon machine to life :)

balloonMachine.gif.54180ab4312bf9bca6a2010a7269f956.gif

8 hours ago, Archduke said:

Hahaha, love it. A very delightful interaction.

lolz, check it out now:

popBalloonGlitchConAd.gif.cc85402fc583f5e491ead9ae76ca0546.gif

I have a slight problem with this addition in that I now allow the player to carry a sharp, throwable object around. Do I code interactions for when they throw it at NPCs? This is a hitman game, after all, and that's something you can do a lot of, 

I'm trying to add some character to my world, so I decided to try my luck at making a dart vending machine. If I get this to work, it'll be the most Blendo thing I've made ;)

PQaceM6N-W8lgSCmIMPMorOVd07xBeCRbyRh0Ygc