Badfinger

SID MEIER'S AMERICAN MCGEE'S PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Hey, 

Does anyone know how the new crates work? I can't tell if I screwed up or this thing is just stupid.

So I have a bunch of points I earned and normally I would go get my rewards and get a garbage crate to get garbage item. I get this, I like this, except I always get garbage and in no way do I get those cool blue sneakers, but that's the game.

But today, I went to go get my garbage crate with the points I earned and it gave me a cool crate. But that cool crate wants me to buy a key. I don't want to buy a key, I didn't know I was using my points to be asked to buy a key, I wanted to use my points to buy the garbage crate I'm used to. Did I fuck up or does it now randomly pick a crate for me that I may have to and never will pay money for thus making me waste the points I earned?

I get this is probably normal in MP gaming if that is the case and I didn't do anything wrong, but I don't play those games... well until now. But I am hoping I just screwed up and I can still pick to spend my points on garbage crates.

What you can do instead is sell that crate on the steam marketplace for steam credit, so not all is lost. But yeah now they have multiple crate types, one of which requires a paid key to open, and it's random which one you get, I think.

This is why I don't play video games anymore... and I get that I am probably late to the game on the crate topic, but damn thats stupid. I earned in game points, I just want to use my ingame points without paying them more money.

Man, finally won a solo squads game. Feels great. 

Started really slow as the only person dropping at Minas Generales, so I had a really boring like ~10 minutes just peacefully looting that place. However, by the 2nd circle I'd gotten an AWM from a lucky crate and was basically constantly fighting from then on. Such an exhilarating back half of the match. 

FotUc61.png

Good stuff, surely you're like, top 0.1% on the rankings by now? Maybe even top X where it starts showing you your actual # ranking? What kind of FPS experience did you have before playing PUBG? I never really played a military-style shooter game (besides like 15 hours in BF3) so it's taken me a long time to slowly get better at shooting in this game. 

I'm currently 143 on the NA solo FFP leaderboards. I was 67 last night, but played poorly for a few rounds and dropped a bit. I'm not sure what the total # of players is on that leaderboard (or even how to check) so unsure of my percentile.

I've played a ton of shooters throughout my life. I played CS 1.6 and Source at a pretty decent competitive level while in high school. I've also played tons of Battlefield, DayZ, CS: GO, etc. Tactical shooters are my bread-and-butter, for sure, though I certainly have far less time to play than I used to.

That checks out haha. Do you ever notice top streamers/pro players names in your games? Like in the kill-feed or directly interacting with them?

Not sure honestly. I very rarely look at the kill feed to see people's names so I wouldn't really notice if I did.

I look at the kill feed all the time to check what guns are getting kills though - that information is incredibly helpful. If you hear a K98 firing from your left and an M24 firing from your right and a K98 kill pops up in the feed you know you probably need to look left, not right (or that you can probably go loot a free M24 to your right). Also really helpful for when you hear close quarters fights; it can tell you when someone is likely to be looting their kill. For instance, if you hear two people fighting nearby and a kill pops up that matches up with the shots you just heard, wait a few seconds and then check where the shots came from - you'll probably get a free kill on some poor bastard looking at the ground, with double the loot to boot (just be careful when you go to loot!)

Oh yeah for sure I pay attention to weapons in the feed a lot. I also pay attention to names though in case I see player X kill a bunch of people, then if I kill player X, then I can rest easy knowing a dangerous player is out of the equation.

Yeah very rarely I will make note of a name if I hear someone getting lots of kills from a single position, just so I know that if I see them die that position is clear (at least for a moment), but this is the vast minority of times - rarely do people stay put long enough for this to happen. 

In other news, god damn I am doomed to never crack top 50 I feel like. Had a good run last night and got to 63rd, but I've been angling for top 50 for a long time and always end up juuuust under.

Gah. Maybe tomorrow :P

Good luck with that! I've only ever been top 1% in the Oceanic servers, but I'm happy with that given I don't have a background in shooters. Do you play much in duos/squads?

I play a fair but of duos with one buddy and 1 man squads on my own. Occasionally I'll dip into a legitimate squad game but not enough of my friends play the game to reliably have that many people available.

Oh okay. Mostly I play duos/squads with people from the Idle Thumbs Slack or Waypoint discord. There's a few other groups I play with from time to time, but I definitely get that playing with a close-knit group helps a ton because you more or less understand how someone plays and that is a big deal in forming tactics and such.

Yeah I've done some pickup games via various discords etc, and I just found the experience too volatile for my taste. Often I'd get really good people and have loads of fun, but then you sometimes get someone who just completely ignores the team and basically plays solo - I find that very frustrating. Compared to solo or grouping with people I already know where I always have fun, I just don't see any reason to roll the dice with total randos.

That said I am very happy to play with people from here - this community seems to attract a lot of like-minded people. If you want to get a few rounds in my steam name is the same as here. I'll be on for a good chunk of tomorrow and Tuesday as I'm off work right now. 

There's been a bunch of tournaments going on recently in IEM Katowice and currently Starladder in Kiev. They're both 16 team tournaments played in first person, and although both tournaments have differing rules regarding the points system involved, it seems that the professional PUBG community has come to some sort of agreement regarding a custom ruleset for their tournaments. The circles behave differently (first circle smaller, and subsequent circles close in slower), the red zone is removed, and I believe assault rifles are set at 1.5x frequency. Also it's really interesting to see that most teams have favoured spots to loot, and completely avoid as much confrontation as they can until the 3rd circle or so, meaning there is often 50-60 people still alive in small spaces, compared to regular games where half the players immediately die upon landing (keep in mind these tournaments start with only 64 players). Points favour survival heavily over kills, which is also true in the regular game anyway (in terms of both rating and brendan points rewards), but it's rare to experience a regular public game where players/teams play for survival over fragging out early. 

Yeah I read some headline about Shroud winning 3 of 5 games in a tournament... but not winning the tournament because the scoring penalizes any early deaths very heavily, and he died early in the other games. Seems really dumb to me... Battle Royale isn't about "dying decently late on average" - it's about being the last man standing.

Unrelated, I love how every season when the leaderboards reset they completely disregard how you did last season. It makes the first few days really unfair for new players. 

blyDN8A.png

The current patch is a really excellent improvement. Very smooth FPS and net code (compared to previous versions anyway), great sound changes (the game is much quieter now), and vastly improved scopes (cleaner, with a nice sepia and parallax effect now). There are some other neat changes like emotes etc, but those are less meaningful to me personally. 

However, one non-gameplay change I *love* is that there are now achievements. Haven't looked at them all yet but hope there are some crazy hard ones. 

Sooo I downloaded and played one round of PUBG Mobile. The enemies were mostly, if not all, bots, so I won pretty easily with 9 kills. The last one I killed might not have been a bot, since they did things a real person would like open a door as distraction while they appeared in a window upstairs (and didn't completely expose their whole body in the window frame). Supposedly as you rank up (there's a typical progression system and daily login bonuses and such),  you'll play against less bots and more humans. However, having also played the Xbox version of PUBG, I gotta say the mobile version was a way smoother experience, from both a gameplay and technical perspective, which is kind of shocking, and kind of sad. There are lots of quality of life improvements that are necessitated by the control scheme, but also additions that I hope make it to the PC version someday, like showing you the line for the plane path, showing distance to the playzone/markers, ping indicator, and apparently the Chinese version of the mobile app has a shooting range. There's an optional gyroscope aiming method for mobile too, which helped a lot for someone like me who plays a lot Splatoon.

I played two rounds, and in the first one I got 11 kills and a chicken dinner, because yeah, most of the bots seem to shoot at you and then stand there, staring. I agree with you @eRonin, it's a pretty smooth experience, even thought it's a little janky because of the on-screen controls. It feels like the map is shrunk a tiny bit, and a lot (a lot) of the geometry has been cleaned up for the mobile version, but like, everything is there in some form or another. I am confused about how your character auto picks up items, which is a little weird, but I think likely it's something where the game assumes you'd want these items, even going so far as attaching them to weapons. It runs really really well on the iPhone X, even while streaming to my television, and I would love to try it out with a squad at some point.
For a portable version of the game, it's much better than it has any right to be. 

I just wish you would start with like, basic clothes. But I guess they gotta monetize somehow.  

The upcoming map, Savage, is making a return to testing! https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1651008443300198862 to sign-up for keys.

This map is 1/4 the size of Erangel and Miramar (4x4km as opposed to 8x8km) and is covered in dense vegetation. Last test round, it was missing textures on many structures and the interior of buildings were devoid of furnishings, but it gets the point across that this map is for those who want a faster pace in battle royale. As always though, the game does sometimes struggle to balance the rate at which people die, though small map means you're more likely to run into someone just running around. Vehicles aren't as useful due to the smaller map size, as well as difficult terrain, not to mention the noise they make alerts a greater number of nearby players due to the denser population. I didn't get too many rounds in last time, so I didn't really form a strong opinion about it. I'm looking forward to seeing textures this time around :P 

I am so sad that the circle changes from Savage were pushed to live for like 2 hours, then rolled back. They were *so* much better than the standard circles. I hope a new circle patch comes soon :(

EDIT: To expand on this a bit, I have always found the mid-game in PUBG to be very, very boring. I have been hoping for changes to the circle timing for ages, specifically to reduce the time between the mid-game circles. I have also always been frustrated by how much late-game RNG there is with circle luck, because once the circle starts contracting it moves so fast that you really can't stop to shoot while running from it. 

The fixed *both* of these problems in the most recent patch - mid game circles didn't last nearly as long, and late game circles moved much more slowly. It resulted in games feeling like you were constantly on the move and under pressure, without every feeling like you just got 100% boned by the circle and can never recover.

I know some people didn't like the faster early-game timing, which I do agree with to some extent. However, rolling back the massive mid and late game improvements because of some minor new early-game issues seems really hasty. I hope they only did that because they plan to re-deploy the new timings with a few tweaks really soon.

Yeah I was enjoying the new circles. First two circles are like, whatever. Most players are dead by the time that circle locks anyway, so I can't believe they're complaining about them. Youuuuu're all dead! You have no idea what the late-game circles are like! They were good! If only you survived to the end to experience them! 

Anyway, war mode is cool and I think it should stay as a permanent fixture, if only to give people an avenue to practise shooting, and also to siphon of some of those folks who drop into this game just to immediately die anyway. I didn't play regular games much while the event was going on, but I wonder if it has a sizeable impact on the pace of the game due to the remaining players being more likely to be the ones who are committed to the battle royale and staying alive. 

Bad luck on the almost hat-trick! You'll get there :tup:

I agree on the event - it's fun when you don't want to play super try-hard, or when you just want to warm up & practice shooting. Really enjoying it, though I'd like to see some minor changes to the available weapons loadouts (more diverse attachment options, possibly only coming from crates, and no VSS).