Badfinger

SID MEIER'S AMERICAN MCGEE'S PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

General tips:

• Parachuting is an important skill to learn
  • Looting efficiently is an important skill to learn
  • Hold alt to free-look around you without changing your run direction or even your body orientation
  • By default, the = key is auto-run
  • Hold shift to hold your breath and steady your aim while you're looking down sights
  • First aid kids and bandages can only heal you to 75HP; you need energy drinks (a single one heals over time for 23HP) and painkillers to top up. A medkit always heals you to full health.
  • You can crouch jump (will be removed/made obsolete when vaulting/mantling is added) by pressing crouch and jump simultaneously, which currently enables you to jump over terrain and windows you otherwise can't
  • Get a feel for how every gun feels to shoot on full auto; attachments like foregrips and compensators greatly improve the ease of handling a gun on full-auto
  • At long range, learn the distance a gun needs to adjust for bullet drop and its bullet travel velocity; this will be different for most guns
  • When playing in squads, pay attention to the compass along the top side of the screen, which shows cardinal directions as well as number of degrees
  • When playing in squads, you can revive team-mates as long as they did not die: due to a vehicle explosion, or deep under water
  • When a gun is fired at you and misses, you hear up to 3 sounds: the sound of a bullet whizzing past your ear, the sound of the bullet impacting nearby, and the sound of the gun firing; usually in that order
  • Certain guns and equipment can only be found in a care package; don't be surprised initially if you are killed by a weapon you have never seen like the light machine gun or the AWM sniper rifle

On 10/24/2017 at 6:43 PM, eRonin said:

General tips:

• By default, the = key is auto-run

I have 300 hours in this game and you just blew my mind. 

Ah, you see, I have 400 hours in the game. Honestly if you don't play in groups, there are very few avenues for you to absorb new knowledge.

Is skill-based matchmaking disabled for this season or something? I've been getting some really, really soft games recently. I'm hitting top 10 43% of the time this season, and winning 14% (after ~12 hours of gametime).

Last season I was more like 20%/5% and I don't feel like I've improved that drastically honestly.

Are others finding this season a bit strange too, or is it just me? 

I dunno, when I duo with my friend (who is usually the only person i duo with) we almost always end in/near the top 10 unless we die in the first 2-3 minutes. 

One thing I have noticed though, is the low amount of players after the first 5 minutes. It seems normal now that there are around 30 players left before the first circle has even finished. Not sure what is up with that (on EU server) 

This season continues to be pretty soft to me, but maybe I've just improved? Hard to say. 

Either way, this win felt amazing. Most legitimate kills in a solo round for me (I'd previously had 18 but 6 were AFKs I happened upon at the start). It was basically a non-stop firefight from the jump, starting in Severny and ending between Milta and Pochinki. This game is super, super fun when you get to participate in that much action. 

StMXaOf.png

RdYn2ms.jpg

Got my first chicken dinner in a squad match that I made a contribution to. The end of the match was me crawling around pointing out where the other squad was hidden in the grass. At one point, a few minutes earlier, two (2!) crates dropped right next to us, which was a blessing and a curse, since it alerted the whole universe to our position. 

You also hit a bunch of people! 35 points of damage is a decent contribution; in squads that actually translates to roughly 350 damage.

I did a fun thing yesterday: 

The new map is very good. Like, I think that a lot of games are going to end up with people hiding in houses, but the new towns are so, so varied.

Also, this van comes in two dope colors:

0ExgjRY.png

Glad to hear it re: the new map. I've not dipped my toe into the test servers yet, but probably need to do that given how close the 1.0 release is (Dec 20 IIRC). Sounds like some really great changes queued up in that version - I am excited!

Yeah, after a few hours on this new map, it's a real step up compared to the original. I think that there's probably a lot more loot throughout the map, so I think that the late game might be slightly different, but it doesn't really feel as if things have been broken, overall.

Yesterday, with a few Thumbs-sters, we ended up getting two chicken dinners. The second one took place at the central map Hacienda del Patron, which seem to be a place that yields a lot of loot, with great sightlines across a huge part of the map.

This weird game apparently just added "camel toe" to the women's underwear in the patch on the test server. NSFW link. I'm so glad video games exist and I hope they never all die in a fire. Wait no, the opposite. I hate everything.

1.0 is out now, and is actually a huge improvement. Better optimized, vaulting is surprisingly polished, and the new map is much more varied and detailed than the original. It's not perfect, but overall I'd say they did a great job with their target of getting out of early access this year - this patch is a big step forward. 

Tycho come play with us. Now that you're also in the slack, organising games will be easier :P

There, I am sprouting the seed.

It’s such a relief that the new map is not only good, but in many ways an improvement over the first map. It makes me feel confident that PUBG has some legs. 

I still much prefer the original map, because after so many hours spent in it, it has a familiarity to it that gives me comfort in an otherwise very high-tension game. That feeling will change over time, I imagine! Right now, though, the new map has a ton of issues like random holes in the ground you can fall into that either you can't climb out of, or kills you instantly when you fall into it. Sooo it could use some tweaks. For example: https://clips.twitch.tv/EnthusiasticVenomousEggTheRinger

On 12/25/2017 at 1:10 PM, Jake said:

It’s such a relief that the new map is not only good, but in many ways an improvement over the first map. It makes me feel confident that PUBG has some legs. 

Overall I agree - I really like the new map. The improved variety in terrain gives you tons of stuff to hide behind and have interesting gunfights over, and that is a huge, huge part of this game obviously. 

However I do also feel the new map exacerbates existing problems with the mid-game. There are a great deal of "clusters" of buildings and terrain cover on the map, with pretty big stretches of nothing in between. This, combined with the very slow circle timing in the mid-game (circle is still big, and doesn't contract that often) leads to everyone who's playing to win looting up and fighting early, then booking it to their chosen bit of cover near the center of the circle and not moving until a circle spawn forces you to. The circle is so slow mid-game that you spend large stretches of time not moving or fighting - just camping your cover and hoping for a good circle. 

I think if they tweaked the circle behavior mid-game to close faster, or perhaps even to close more or less quickly based on the number of players remaining, the flow on the new map would be much better. Other than that, I think the new map is a big step up in basically every way.

I kind of hit a wall in the last few weeks with this game - after having a lot of fun early on, I'm playing a lot more matches where I drop, get great loot, get into the circle...and then find myself dead via someone surprising me out of nowhere. Every time I see my death cam, it seems to be a person who murders me with pinpoint accuracy. If I discover their position and try to fight back, I don't really do much damage. This is pretty disheartening, and it's endemic of a lot of online games, which disappoints me a lot. I don't have time to play this every single night for hours and hours. There's an article on waypoint about how the kill cam, and game replays actually made the author feel less like everyone else playing was an efficient murderbot, but this does not seem to be the case with me. 

On the recent Thumbs Ruination Cast, Nick discussed how he wasn't super taken with the game, and I think that this is part of it, but also I can't imagine playing this game solo for any stretch of time. To me, the game is at its most fun with squads of four having a silly time together up until the end. 

There's a huge problem in this game with cheaters; some are very blatant, while others are a bit more subtle and perhaps more problematic because of it.

Besides that, unfortunately the only way to get better is by playing more. I only got competent at the game after several hundred hours into it, but I spent that time playing in squads with cool people so I wasn't really fussed about how a particular match ended. I think the biggest issue people have is the idea that they must stay hidden as long as they can. This is 1) not really fun? and 2) a good way to never get better. Staying hidden for as long as you can might seem nice, but you WILL eventually be seen, and whoever sees you WILL shoot you. Now, not being seen isn't nearly as important as not being hit. Staying mobile is the key to surviving a combat situation. Going to toot my own horn a bit but here's an encounter where someone gets the drop on me, but I stay calm, stay mobile, and win the encounter: https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingUglyWoodcockDerp

You can see that even the first time I scope in, I'm still moving, because I wasn't ready to take the shot at that point. It's only at the moment I shoot that I ever stop moving.

I have no idea why, but I have ~400 hours played and have encountered only 2 cheaters, despite being pretty high on the leaderboards (I bounce around the top few hundred solo FPP) where you'd expect them to be prevalent. I hear enough from other people about this being a problem that I don't doubt their sincerity (Will Smith mentioned on the last Giant Bombcast that he encounters them "every game"), but I'm not sure how to explain the difference between my experience and many other people's. I wonder if something about how I'm playing helps me dodge cheaters (server/time of day), or if people are getting caught up in the "hype" surrounding cheating in this game and jumping and shadows? Perhaps both?

It certainly is possible to pull off some amazing stuff accuracy wise in this game without cheating. Someone doming you with a K98 while you're sprinting 200m away or whatever doesn't necessarily mean they're cheating - the ballistics in this game are pretty predictable with practice. 

EDIT: And RubixsQube, to address your post more directly when I hit a plataeu with a game and start to feel stuck I try and find a good external source to freshen up my thinking/approach. A while back I checked out of bunch of the guides LevelCap has on his Youtube channel and found them very helpful. Looking at another person's perspective can help you find the mistakes in your own game that you've become blind to or, at a minimum, help you understand how other people may be thinking/playing against you.

2 hours ago, cakedotavi said:

I have no idea why, but I have ~400 hours played and have encountered only 2 cheaters, despite being pretty high on the leaderboards (I bounce around the top few hundred solo FPP) where you'd expect them to be prevalent. 

Cheaters almost exclusively play third person. I think most of the cheaters in Western FPP servers are probably doing it to snipe and kill popular streamers, whereas the common cheater in TPP are actually mostly terrible players who can't get anything done without cheats (a lot of clueless play that just gets carried by not being able to miss).

Ah, interesting - next time I hear someone mention running into tons of cheaters I'll ask if they play TPP; that could be it. 

Now, not to get all soap-boxy but that's one more great reason to play FPP! I find that mode so much more enjoyable, as you end up with way, way less corner camping and "what the fuck just happened" deaths where someone waits for you to turn around before peaking and smoking you. I really think that for competitive shooters FPP is pretty well always the way to go - TPP rewards a very passive, camping-heavy style that I personally really do not enjoy at all. 

I realize it's personal preference, but I'd encourage everyone to at least give FPP a try - it's a very different kind of game, and you (probably) get to avoid most of the cheaters to boot! :)