Jake

Important If True 8: Ghosts 'n Goblins

This was an incredibly entertaining episode guys, I had to pause after the Clooney ghost/goblin bit because I had a stitch from laughing.  Thank you! 

Furby ghosts and goblins sounds like it somehow fits into the Five Night at Freddy's lore.

The piano duel between Daffy and Donald in Who Framed Roger Rabbit was only possible because of the stipulation that both ducks be depicted as equally talented.  And for another movie that has a lot of characters from different companies, Wreck-It-Ralph was the first one that came to mind.  You have various characters from Mario, Q*Bert, Sonic, Pac-Man, Capcom, etc.  (Edit: someone pointed this out already)

When Jake started talking about a piano and approximating human voice, I thought for sure he was going to mention Voder, a device created by Bell Telephone in 1937 for synthesizing human speech.

I can't get behind the main motivation for the cold shower capper because I don't shower in the morning.  Evening showers make so much more sense to me.

I am de-lurking for a moment to talk about the endorsements on this episodes. I have now tried all three. Something True is a delightful podcast and I am already hoping there will be a season two beyond this initial run. I am to weak, both morally, and physically, to continue to attempt the cold shower capper. I bought the Sander's fudge (I went for the dark chocolate flavor), some spanish peanuts, and some vanilla ice cream.  Those ingredients combined are a treat for the mouth and a balm for the soul. Thank you, Nick Breckon, thank you.

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

The story of kids spontaneously creating an entire belief system around the death and afterlife of their Furby reminded me of this incredible magazine article from nearly 20 years ago, about the weird, beautiful folk tales created by homeless children in Miami:  http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/myths-over-miami-6393117  

A brief sample of their mythology: God fled the world after a surprise demon attack, but his angels fight on without him.  The demons found gateways to Earth through abandoned refrigerators, mirrors, cemeteries, and Jeep Cherokees with black windows. The angels visit downtown Miami and feed off the neon light. When people die, their ghosts try to make their way to the angels' army HQ, in a beautiful jungle somewhere beyond the city, to join the neverending war.

Be warned that it's frigging heartbreaking, probably a little heavy for this podcast, I'm sorry!  But so fascinating I couldn't resist sharing.

During the discussion of spiders, the guys briefly speculated on the collective noun for spiders. As a wildlife biologist, collective nouns for animals are somewhat an interest of mine (my favorite being a conspiracy of lemurs). It might interest you all to know that the correct collective noun for a group of spiders is actually a mouth-full of spiders. 

1 hour ago, GeologyIsOK said:

During the discussion of spiders, the guys briefly speculated on the collective noun for spiders. As a wildlife biologist, collective nouns for animals are somewhat an interest of mine (my favorite being a conspiracy of lemurs). It might interest you all to know that the correct collective noun for a group of spiders is actually a mouth-full of spiders. 

I hope Jake brings up this interesting and important information on the next cast.

On 4/7/2017 at 5:38 PM, RubixsQube said:

I am super into the fact that Chris described that Golden Gate Park statue as a bust of Cervantes being stared at by a pair of children. It's most definitely Sancho Panza and Don Quixote, kneeling before their creator.

YVhsczn.png

I wonder if the statue was sponsored by Mack Weldon

as someone with beautiful, long hair growing longer everyday, i endorse shower caps because you aren't supposed to wash your hair everyday (drys it out).

"Cuties" is in fact a brand name used to sell two types of mandarin/sweet orange hybrids: Murcott mandarins, also known as tangors, and clementines. The former hybrid dates from 1916 and the latter from 1902. A constant supply of Cuties is able to be stocked in stores because of the nearly year-round growing season between the two.

Interesting, while looking this up, I found out that tangerines are considered by some to be part of, by some to be related to, and by some to be separate from mandarins. There are arguments for all three positions, but no final decision because the genetics of tangerines and mandarins aren't sufficiently understood.

Really enjoying the show! I was going to mention my hope that you lay off the robot fear for a bit, but it seems to have died down in the subsequent episodes anyway.

Looks like I spoke too soon back in the episode 2 thread! Guess I'll have to accept that the unwritten subtitle of the show is Robopocalyphobia... Still really enjoying it!

It just struck me tonight that I've been eating Nick's endorsement for ages and didn't make the connection: it's called a tin roof sundae.Turkey Hill sells a premade version in half-gallons.

On 10/04/2017 at 8:35 PM, Kallirho said:

The story of kids spontaneously creating an entire belief system around the death and afterlife of their Furby reminded me of this incredible magazine article from nearly 20 years ago, about the weird, beautiful folk tales created by homeless children in Miami:  http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/myths-over-miami-6393117  

A brief sample of their mythology: God fled the world after a surprise demon attack, but his angels fight on without him.  The demons found gateways to Earth through abandoned refrigerators, mirrors, cemeteries, and Jeep Cherokees with black windows. The angels visit downtown Miami and feed off the neon light. When people die, their ghosts try to make their way to the angels' army HQ, in a beautiful jungle somewhere beyond the city, to join the neverending war.

Be warned that it's frigging heartbreaking, probably a little heavy for this podcast, I'm sorry!  But so fascinating I couldn't resist sharing.

Thank you for that link, it is awesome.