Jake

Important If True 8: Ghosts 'n Goblins

Important If True 8:

Important If True 8

Ghosts 'n Goblins
The truth often hides just beneath the surface. Especially when that surface is a Furby’s skin, which is also a ghost. So what happens when our children decide they love their robot friends more than us? Before that can happen, how many pounds of spiders would it take to devour us all? Where is the body of Cervantes, and what's it doing? Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Send us email at [email protected]. If you enjoyed this and would like to subscribe to an ad-free feed, please consider supporting Idle Thumbs by backing our Patreon.

Discussed: Cuties, a girl and her water heater, robot propaganda, Cervantes, "Alone Together" by Sherry Turkle, two thousand pounds of spiders, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Bob Hoskins on a blue screen, MIDI piano cacophony
Nick's Endorsement: Ice cream sundae with vanilla ice cream, Spanish peanuts, and Sanders Hot Fudge

Chris' Endorsement: The cold shower capper

Jake's Endorsement: Something True, true tales from the footnotes of history

In regards to Who Framed Roger Rabbit pulling together so many characters from different competing media companies...I'd say it's still possible, with the Lego movies as proof.  Wreck-It Ralph also tied together Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Konami, Atari, Namco, Midway, and more.

Is it reasonable to assume Rayna (She-Who-Wuvs-Robots) is now marked for harvest, so that her brain can be added to the 45? Slipped in by human sympathizers, her role being to provide some kind of checksum when the 'Kill All Humans' algorithm is set to run. Perhaps a reminder that even though the destruction of all humans would mean no more enslavement, it would also mean no more hugs.

Edit: Unfortunately on further reflection, I'm guessing the requirement for human hugs will become unnecessary once the robots make note of the similarity between 'hugs' and the practice adopted by future robots of approaching each other with arms held open and outward. This greeting being an indication of trust meant to communicate "Greetings fellow Robot. I am also a Robot. Feel free to remove the skin from my arms, or pour either boiling water or nitroglycerin on them to dispel any doubts you may have."     

5 hours ago, inmostlight said:

In regards to Who Framed Roger Rabbit pulling together so many characters from different competing media companies...I'd say it's still possible, with the Lego movies as proof.  Wreck-It Ralph also tied together Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Konami, Atari, Namco, Midway, and more.

Mario wasn't allowed into Wreck-it Ralph because he was too high profile in the eyes of Nintendo - they just gave them Bowser. The Lego movies are almost exclusively licenses Warner already has access to, except Star Wars which was signed before Disney bought LucasFilm. Who Framed Roger Rabbit has Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny sharing a scene and swapping jokes for maybe the one and only time in a movie. I feel like that threshold of iconic crossover isn't going to happen again for a long time. Like: are we ever going to see Avengers vs Justice League on film? Is Lego Iron Man going to show up in Lego Batman? Almost guaranteed not. (Mario and Sonic only started crossing over once Sega had fallen way off the map, when Sonic was basically a support character by comparison to Mario...)

When Chris mentioned the Cold Shower Capper my mind immediately went two places:

1) A serial killer. 

2) An actual shower cap, completely cementing his status as Weird Grandpa of the cast. 

For what it's worth I used to roll like that by turning off the cold water in order to shock myself into action. Incidentally the only time I've fallen and hurt myself in the shower was during the scurried panicked escape thatvwould usually follow each of these Cappers. 

45 Brains Update

Submit your own proposals for brains to @45brains on Twitter. 404 podcasts remain.

Spoiler

#14 - Furby Ghost

13.png.c9ec3c9229efed9e58249f3d000aa0d2.png

Half of what was once whole.

Spoiler

#13 - Furby Goblin

14.png.bdb2491bc7f16341e5b6b7ff57a851d2.png

Half of what was once whole.

"Amidst the mists and coldest frosts she thrusts her fists against the posts and still insists we bury the ghost."

I also thought Chris was endorsing a literal shower cap and was about to SCREAM at how weird and grandpa-y Chris had become.

Been a reader for years, but signed up just to post this.

The video playing staying alive reminded me of this project where they used a piano to play the audio of children talking: 

Apparently they do a more complex analysis of the original audio, which gives a more understandable (and creepier) result

I am super into the fact that Chris described that Golden Gate Park statue as a bust of Cervantes being stared at by a pair of children. It's most definitely Sancho Panza and Don Quixote, kneeling before their creator.

YVhsczn.png

the plaque looks like a pair of underwear

edit: why are underwear, pants, etc "pairs"

4 minutes ago, Familyguy1 said:

Any idea where Chris got that Kindergarten and furbies story from? 

I found this interesting research article from the Netherlands

http://mediatechnology.leiden.edu/research/publications/assessing-childrens-experiences-with-active-passive-artificial-companions

You can read the story here from Sherry Turkle's book Alone Together. From what I can see, it's just an accounting of a weird day she had with some kids in the late 90s where she brought 8 furbies to an elementary school in western Massachusetts. 

Third person to assume the Cold Shower Capper was a shower cap here; I spent about 30 seconds in shouting disbelief at the grandpa-levels of Chris until it was confirmed to not be a shower cap.

I'm going to try it out, and edit this to say how it goes.

Edit: I was too scared today.

30 minutes ago, SL128 said:

Third person to assume the Cold Shower Capper was a shower cap here; I spent about 30 seconds in shouting disbelief at the grandpa-levels of Chris until it was confirmed to not be a shower cap.

I'm going to try it out, and edit this to say how it goes.

The way that I've done it is that I've used the Cold Shower Capper as a way to rinse out the conditioner. I think it's probably BS that it has any benefits (although Tim Rogers swears by it) but it gives me something to do while the water is very, very cold instead of standing there. I suppose you could brush your teeth here, too. Also, make sure before you do it that you know exactly which knob, or which knob direction, leads to cold water, because the Scalding Shower Capper is REALLY NOT FUN. 

I also thought Chris was going to endorse a shower cap. Weird thing is that for the week before this episode came out I'd been doing a Cold Shower Capper as an experiment. Basically I read about health benefits of cold showers, but since I enjoy warm showers too much to give them up entirely I thought I'd just try turning it to cold for the very end. I have no idea if I'm at all more inclined to "go for it" in my daily life since doing them though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, Twig said:

under = leg

wear = other leg

With "pair of underwear" underwear is used as a synonym for underpants. Pair of pants. Pair of underpants. You wouldn't say "pair of bra", even though that's underwear too.

how do you know i wouldn't say pair of bra

edit: what about shoes, you don't put shoes on your legs, you put em on your feet!

Right, that's why you don't say "pair of shoes" you just say "shoes". As in the popular phrase "I bought a shoes."

oh wow i've been saying it wrong this whole time!

thanks patrick you're the best <3

6 hours ago, RubixsQube said:

I am super into the fact that Chris described that Golden Gate Park statue as a bust of Cervantes being stared at by a pair of children. It's most definitely Sancho Panza and Don Quixote, kneeling before their creator.

YVhsczn.png

Amazing