Chris

Idle Thumbs 305: Z to the Triple-T

Idle Thumbs 305:

Idle Thumbs 305

Z to the Triple-T
All three Thumbs are still playing the new Zelda, and still having just as much of a blast. And some readers have a variety of Trespasser reactions to follow up Nick's recent playthrough. Plus: Jake gets confused about his own life.

Discussed: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Trespasser

I was at a wedding where all the music during the ceremony was orchestral versions of video game music, mainly from classic Nintendo games. It was pretty fun to have multiple moments of trying to identify what game the song playing was from.

Here's the video of the person paragliding for 20 minutes that Nick mentioned near the beginning of the episode (super cool--thanks for mentioning it, Nick!): 

Weirdly resonant end there dudes. The bit about expectation reminds me of my dads advice to not expect too much out of life. I always thought  that was awfully cynical but since a really dark period a few years ago Iv started to change my mind. 

Also Nick should do more weird old game streams, the trespasser stream was very good. 

Also congratulations Jake :)

1 hour ago, infamous space turtle said:

Also Nick should do more weird old game streams, the trespasser stream was very good. 

Would very much like to see a Daggerfall stream

Man, that email about Trespasser could have been written by me. I was also a fourteen-year-old kid obsessed with Jurassic Park who read a rapturous preview of Trespasser in PC Gamer and totally bought into the idea of a "digital sequel" to The Lost World, a movie about which I was still digesting feelings of disappointment and was hoping would be redeemed.

The game I got, as opposed to the game I expected, still had plenty of things that I liked: the dinosaurs looked great at the time, even if they stumbled around like drunken, landlocked dolphins; the guns also looked great, because fully modeled guns that could be handled and inspected from every angle were a total novelty; and the narration by Attenborough was like nothing I'd heard in a game before or since. Still, it was a hot mess that I wasn't able to play to completion, as much as I desperately wanted to. Near the end of the town section, a loading glitch caused a plot-critical "staircase" of boxes to slide off each other (damn frictionless physics system) and I didn't have a save far enough back to reset it. I tried a few cheats, restarted, and gave up. Watching Research Indicates' fact-filled Let's Play of the game gave me the closure I needed there, I can't recommend it enough.

The end of the episode when Nick kept referencing things from different podcasts had me thinking: do you guys find it hard to avoid referencing old Idle Thumbs bits during IIT? It seems like Idle Thumbs is basically anything goes at this point, but IIT is trying to gain new audience members so it must be tough to not just say all the dumb stuff you're used to saying. I started thinking about this during the first few eps when most of the content was based on what you'd been talking about on previous Idle Thumbs, so you had to re-explain everything, and it seems like it would be super tough to keep that straight in your heads, especially when you always talk about forgetting everything you've said as soon as you stop recording.

In this last podcast you guys talked about games that didn't quite meet your expectations. I have a slightly different take on that. I had this friend in my first year of college that was a compulsive liar. The worst part about it was that the things that seemed plausible usually ended up not being true and the opposite for things that seemed outrageous. Case in point: I remember him vividly describing the original top down GTA to me and thinking to myself "There is no way this game exists." As we all know, I was wrong on this occasion. Playing that game is still to this day one of the most amazing gaming experiences i have ever had. Expectations were blown away! Thanks for the podcasts, keep up the good work!

I wad pleased that the short conversation about expectations between Jake and Chris covered a broad spectrum of experiences. I tend to advise against hype, but Jake's point that hype can provide pain-relief is something I need to remember. Having something to look forward to can change things a lot like how listening to music can change things.

On 3/31/2017 at 6:14 PM, Gormongous said:

a rapturous preview of Trespasser

:getmecoat