Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Justice League film

Like a darker, worser avengers

Most obvious dog shit song. From the same school as suicide squad.

"we need a song about a group of people 'coming together'..."

But still with the boring army of identical robot/armoured alien enemies from the Avengers.

Also, haven't they done this all out of order? Aren't we supposed to get the films for the respective team members first so we actually give a shit about them teaming up?

6 hours ago, Ben X said:

But still with the boring army of identical robot/armoured alien enemies from the Avengers.

Also, haven't they done this all out of order? Aren't we supposed to get the films for the respective team members first so we actually give a shit about them teaming up?

I mean not only are they doing this ass-backwards, they jumped the gun even worse with Suicide Squad, where they took the villains they hadn't introduced and teamed them up and made them go through the arc where they became heroes. But we don't give a shit about them being villains, so it doesn't matter that they became heroes, and we also don't give a shit about these people in the first place because they're being introduced in the movie! DC is basically like "shit shit shit we need to catch up to the Marvel movies, we don't have time for six movies to set these characters up, just jump to the big one. People like the big ones!"

12 hours ago, Ben X said:

I believe that the Wonder Woman film is still coming first, but that while the Aquaman film was originally intended to be released before the first Justice League film, it's now been delayed to next year. I'm not sure whether Flash and Cyborg were ever intended to have their own films.

2 hours ago, Gwardinen said:

I believe that the Wonder Woman film is still coming first

Even so, they're promoting the team-up before the solos have come out!

Maybe the team-up will be so good that everyone will want to then see more of each individual character, but the shitty/abandoned X-Men Origins movies say otherwise...

There is just... nothing redeeming about that trailer. Except maybe the inadvertent Phoenix Wright title Justice For All making a cameo. Good for a chuckle.

Also, with all the stuff going on with Ben Affleck, I can no longer see his version of Batman without thinking that he doesn't really want to be there. Which is a shame, because I like him as Batman. I like this Batman!

I wish they would bring Brandon Routh back and admit they made a mistake with the recasting.

I wish they would stop letting Zack Snyder direct all of this and admit they made a mistake ever hiring him! :tup:

It's just so saddening to see especially the standalone Batman film fall apart. I expect it to be nothing but a giant mess. Guys, just let Affleck do everything he wants, stay the hell away from him and make a specific, non-standard, auteur Batman film. Trust me, Batman can take it. It's what Batman wants.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:22 AM, Ben X said:

Even so, they're promoting the team-up before the solos have come out!

Maybe the team-up will be so good that everyone will want to then see more of each individual character, but the shitty/abandoned X-Men Origins movies say otherwise...

Even if they do manage to eek out individual movies, they're all going to suffer following a team film because now you have to constantly answer "Where are the rest of your super buds?" and construct scenarios where the title character has to do things solo.  Unless you make them all prequels or go the Marvel route and call it a Captain America movie even though it has a bigger cast than the Avengers.

The slow mo hair flip that wonder woman does at 1:20 is such a perfect example of what is wrong with modern CGI action films. The fights are all about looking cool/badass the entire time, about having clippable/gif-able moments instead of being a well choreographed fight scene. Also fast cuts need to DIAF

The colors of this movie just look too serious. I dislike how goofy Marvel movies are, but this feels like too much of an over-reaction.

That trailer seems bad and nothing in this "CU" interests me and nothing directed by Zack Snyder interests me. 

And yet... Gal Gadot and especially Jason Momoa are such perfect casting choices for those characters. Feels like a waste.

JK Simmons as Gordon, on the other hand, is one of those choices so obvious, such a hallmark of fantasy fan-castings, as to be embarrassing to see happen in real life.

8 minutes ago, dium said:

That trailer seems bad and nothing in this "CU" interests me and nothing directed by Zack Snyder interests me. 

And yet... Gal Gadot and especially Jason Momoa are such perfect casting choices for those characters. Feels like a waste.

JK Simmons as Gordon, on the other hand, is one of those choices so obvious, such a hallmark of fantasy fan-castings, as to be embarrassing to see happen in real life.

I'm not sure how I feel about Gadot, she is so skinny its hard to see her as a warrior

Justice League looks even worse that I could imagine Zack the Hack being capable of.

I mean why the fuck does everything look so... bad? Completely cgi Cyborg, what? You couldn't afford to put the actor into a cyborg armor? Lets just do shitty cgi costume instead, we have the computers!

I kind of like the idea of Baffleck as an older Batman but it already went to hell at the exact moment when Snyder got the control of DC's murderverse. I had no problems with Henry Cavill being cast as Superman, but Man of Steel was such a shitty movie that I never wanted to watch Batman vs Superman and I haven't other than the trailer that spoiled the whole movie before it came out. Superman Returns was not a perfect movie for many reasons, but Brandon Routh was great. It's really a huge shame he never got to continue in the role.

This whole idea of copycatting Marvel and rushing movies just to try catch up with Marvel is just failure. Wonder Woman looks ok, but I have all the time this fear that they've done something to mess that up since Snyder is the one pulling the strings in the background. The guy doesn't even like or care about comic book movies or the lore.

Truthfully, the Wonder Woman trailer makes the movie seem so utterly bland and predictable. And, importantly, just not a whole lot of fun. Which is a shame, because I didn't mind the character in V.

On 3/27/2017 at 0:14 PM, BigJKO said:

I wish they would stop letting Zack Snyder direct all of this and admit they made a mistake ever hiring him! :tup:

Looks like this might happen now that Snyder and his wife have stepped out. They look to be cancelling out Snyder's stuff as Joss Whedon is now handling Justice League to the finish line. They reportedly threw all the dialogue scenes away and are going film again all the non-action scenes with a new script now. With a moustached Henry Cavill as Superman, and they will digitally apparently remove the moustache. That must look so weird as possible.

I saw Wonder Woman finally some time ago, it was quite ok movie. I liked the twists, but 

Spoiler

hoolllyyyyy crap that ending fight was too long and way too Snyder cgi influenced. Also I didn't like the fight scenes with the constant slow mo stuff. Also Chris Pine, man I just dislike that guy so much, such a shitty Kirk always.

They should just reboot the whole shit, just cancel Justice League and destroy all existing physical and digital copies of Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman. Wonder Woman they can keep as a starting point. They can even keep all the actors and actresses since those are so far ok.

Shall we make this the DCEU thread? I just caught up on a couple of these movies, so I'm going to make this the DCEU thread.

So far:

Man Of Steel: Some interesting elements drown in thoughtless action sequences

Suicide Squad: Dreadful

Batman V Superman: Not appallingly bad, just... perfunctory. Too glum and slow

Wonder Woman: Mediocre at best. Meandering, with some obvious twists and so many walking tropes in place of characters. There are three villains and not one has any depth - come back Spider-Man 3 and Batman Returns, all is forgiven. I think this movie got cut a ton of slack for being a non-terrible DC movie - if it were a Marvel movie it'd be getting rated down with Thor 2.

Justice League: Vapid. A series of character intros then a 2010-era video game character stealing a series of identical macguffins, then a big CG battle, the end. Batman looked less cool in this one - lots of shots when you catch him being a guy in a muscle suit doing some goofy pose - and Cyborg looked tacky as shit. A couple of good bits - bringing Supes back to life (the debate over it, the process, then him coming back all pissed off) and the Amazon chase to keep the cube away from Steppenwolf - but overall, crappy.

And didn't they have a scene in Man Of Steel where Aquaman and Flash (and maybe others?) were imprisoned at a secret government facility? Are they just retconning that out of existence? Can't do that if you're trying to build a cinematic universe, DC!

Coming up:

Both of these look more promising to me. They may not turn out to be great, but hopefully they'll at least be fun. If Aquaman can be better than Green Lantern and at least as good as Chronicles Of Riddick, and Shazam isn't so wholly aimed at a tween audience as it seems, these will likely be the best DCEU films by a long shot.

Saw Aquaman. It's visually gorgeous, Momoa is charming and that Sicily action sequence is great, but overall this is a mess. Scuppered by the lead character being introduced in a previous film and yet still having a ton of origin stories, lore and Atlantean politics to get through, the narrative is all over the place. It's filled with tropey beats (in the wrong order) and characters and most of the action is either rote post-Kingsman punching or rote CG battles. Even the music can't decide what it wants to be, flitting between wailing guitar, orchestral and 80s electro.

Amusing sidenote (spoiler for incredibly obvious reveal):

Spoiler

Nicole Kidman is digitally de-aged at the start of the movie. When she reappears in present day, she is no longer de-aged but because of all the work she's had done she still looks so uncannily smooth that they had to put a grey wig on her to age her up a bit!

Definitely better than Green Lantern, but I thiiink I'd still rather watch Chronicles Of Riddick again over re-watching this.

I had very few complaints about Aquaman, probably because I went in with low expectations. It plays like an elaborate mix of Indiana Jones and Flash Gordon, though it doesn't veer too wildly into camp. Having said that, there's a lot of gaudy lights and aquatic wonders, which makes this easily the best DC film so far. It beat out Wonder Woman for me because of a superior ending that didn't feel out of place in the film.

Was this a necessary film? Naw. But it was lots of fun.

(Not quite as good as Bumblebee though. Bumblebee is legit recommended!)

23 hours ago, Roderick said:

Bumblebee is legit recommended!

Really?! Wow. I haven't seen it but I didn't expect it to be any good. What's your opinion of any other Transformers movies you've seen?

They're shit. Though I've only seen the first and third one (I guess?), and it was the worst kind of chaos cinema. So there's your roaring recommendation: Bumblebee is an actually fun Transformers movie for people who dislike Transformers movies.