Chris

Important If True 6: Get Hoisted

While Independence Day 2 may have been tame Goldblum (Tameblum if you will), you guys need to see this ad for the film in which Jeff Goldblum playing David Levinson meets "Jeff Goldblum the actor".

Have any of the Thumbs seen Mr. Frost? It's kind of a trashy movie, but Goldblum plays the devil (or is he?) taunting a psychiatrist. Surprisingly buttoned down Goldblum, considering the role, but he's got a great intensity.

I sometimes wonder what kind of career he would have had without Jurassic Park, how many more trashy low-rent thrillers we would have seen him in.

Goldblum in that Mr. Frost scene feels somehow reminiscent of James Stewart to me, for some reason. That movie looks really trashy but I also kinda want to see it.

On 3/25/2017 at 10:48 PM, Chris said:

This was a very good moment and we are all fortunate we recorded next week's episode before Jake had the chance to realize his error.

I hope you whispered 'Hoisted!' in Jake's ear.

16 minutes ago, DocRandal said:

I hope you whispered 'Hoisted!' in Jake's ear.

Pretty sure I declared myself hoisted. If not, should have. 

My favorite part of that scene is the way he holds on the R in "motherfucker", so it's just "You motherfuckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". Weird.

Also, that clip probably doesn't do Deep Cover justice. Deep Cover is an amazing and smart movie about drugs. Blazing angry and intelligent blaxploitation from actor/director Bill Duke. It just also happens to be kinda trashy at points.

Really loved this episode! The variety of ideas and the shifts from fascination to goofiness were really great.

Also that Snapple story is horrifying but sounds like the climax of a heavy-handed short story where the bottle served as a symbol for that woman's inability to find satisfaction.

On 25/03/2017 at 1:52 AM, Gormongous said:

And, FYI, a petard is a small explosive charge set within a conical or rectangular plate of metal, used to breach walls or gates. You get hoisted with your own petard because it goes off prematurely and the blast flings your body in the air: in Shakespeare's time, whence the saying comes, the emphasis of "hoist" was on the direction of the motion and not the means.

So although it sounds like a degrading nautical punishment, it basically means "get blown up by your own grenade". It kind of blew my mind when I looked that up.

2 hours ago, Karsaroth said:

So although it sounds like a degrading nautical punishment, it basically means "get blown up by your own grenade". It kind of blew my mind when I looked that up.

As, for instance, when that grenade rolls down a hill

I adored this episode. I don't think Chris has sounded this much like his ballpoint fan drawing in quite some time.

Hoisted by his own horn, indeed.

I concur! I haven't felt this hoisted by my own petard while listening to a podcast in some time!