PC release confirmed? So hype.

Why does the box have a red empty space covering half the visible area? Surely they're not going to fill it with logos and "10/10 would buy again" reviews?

Blandtastic

think of all the shades of brown you'll see with 4K HDR

there once was a time I would have got excited about the possibility of space ship dog fighting

whats the point!? What's the point in any of this

The best. Thanks for asking. That Destiny 2 reveal was kinda disappointing though amirite. Like, what's the point, who is it for? Tells you nothing about anything. Only thing it does tell you is the thing that was there before, the tower, that's been destroyed, so that's not there anymore, there is now nothing.

Surely this should've hinted at what'll be bigger, better, different, additive to the destiny experience.

instead its "remember destiny that game you liked, well how about more of that, but instead this time there's NOTHING"

oh, the things are going to come later? Cool, so what's the point in this. Marketing? This ain't selling to anyone new. Wise cracking robot in brown town! Where do I pre-order!?

Remember how gorgeous all the outdoor environments were in Destiny. Apart from the sand place, that was blah.

smoky brown town

Gameplay trailer is in May, let's wrap this up, see you in 6 weeks.

I don't think you're asking too much, but I think you're asking for way more than the games industry thinks you can handle. They did this whole teaser-teaser/teaser thing like we all literally didn't know Destiny 2 was coming this year, knew the exact date, knew it was coming for PC, and hadn't known for the past 6-18 months.

So yeah, dude. Marketing.

Check out some reveal trailers from other games, they're all pretty schlocky and vapid.

Look at these, seriously.

I'm with you. There should be more, but I wasn't expecting more. They get a break from me, because they don't need to establish a game for Destiny 2. They need to establish a tone, and I hope they did.

I feel like I have very ephemeral desires for Destiny 2. I want more of the good stuff (which was very good), and I want them to fix the bad stuff that got in the way of all the good stuff (including not even close to enough good stuff).

After yesterday's stream, I am heartened at least that they are acknowledging there was bad stuff. It wasn't quite sports games dunking on last year's version, but they know there were issues. At the same time I feel somewhat cynical, because so many of the things they're promising aren't so much innovations or additions as much as they're fixing the glaring omissions of the first game. "We heard you, and it turns out industry standards of the last two decades are actually good, so here are characters that matter, clans, matchmaking, and a loading protocol that doesn't take 10 minutes out of every hour!"

Those things are very welcome, but I feel like taking a deep breath and saying FINALLY rather than stand up and cheering their bold new vision. Again though, the gameplay they showed looked like Destiny gameplay, and that's good because that was the good stuff.

I'm also quite looking forward to destiny 2.  Destiny in recent months has become my game to unwind with at the end of the day, and I'm glad to see a lot of the arbitrary restrictions removed from some of the content.  My big concern though, and I've seen no indication this will change, is the incredible emphasis destiny places on random loot drops and immutable currencies.  I recently discarded something like 50 exotic shards simply because I has no use for them, despite being an incredibly rare material. Otherwise, I'm really into a lot of the changes both to class designs and and equipment, as well as the broader experience of playing the game.  In a lot of ways this feels like the game bungie has wanted to make all along.

Also a bit of a side note, the game only coming to the blizzard launcher seems like a much more consequential move to me than it's being made out to be.  It might be a one off thing, but at this point it seems like this is the first real sign that big publishers are starting to pull away from steam.  EA already jumped ship a few years ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if Activision were going to do the same in the years to come.

2 hours ago, itsamoose said:

Also a bit of a side note, the game only coming to the blizzard launcher seems like a much more consequential move to me than it's being made out to be.  It might be a one off thing, but at this point it seems like this is the first real sign that big publishers are starting to pull away from steam.  EA already jumped ship a few years ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if Activision were going to do the same in the years to come.

Taking this derail further, I was quite surprised when the Quake Champions beta required that I download the Bethesda launcher. How long is it before each publisher has their own platform?

Also suprised that Activision didn't rename Battle.net to something less Blizzard-centric when they had the opportunity. Management must have known that Destiny 2 was coming?

So hey, not to completely necro this (a two month necro?), but who's in for the beta this week? Would love to spend a night or two mucking around.

Back from the dead like a Fallen machine god. Right? Remember that one?

I'm in. Can't do Tuesday and am scheduled to run stuff with a couple people Wednesday, but otherwise I should be on every night (ET) during the beta. If I'm on and you need someone to round out a fireteam, send me an invitation.

So it looks like most everyone is sticking with the PS4 version rather than moving to PC? I'm still a bit torn, honestly, about which version to pick up.

I'm sticking with PS4 because that's where most of my Destiny-playing friends are. But I've switched/added platforms before in search of people to play with, so I'm open to doing it again (even though starting over sucks real bad).

Regarding the beta: I had questions about it that I didn't get answers to until I played it a little last night. In case other people have similar questions... (no spoilers)

The beta forces you into the opening story mission on launch. You pick your class, but you can't play around with the character creator or anything. You play that story mission solo, in that you can't invite other people to your game or join anyone else's. There might be a way to replay that story mission after you finish it, but it wasn't obvious from my couple minutes of poking around.

So what does everyone thing of the dialog and writing? Because it's really, really turning me off from this thing. It's this mix of incredible self-seriousness with some really goofy and hammy dialog, and it's not a good mix!

Shooting is sublime, of course, and holy smokes at the new setpieces and overall production values.

If the PC beta turns out to play well, I'm probably making the move from PS4 to PC. But I'm also a big dumb sucker, so I could see myself getting both eventually in order to play with different circles of friends. 

On 7/19/2017 at 5:30 PM, Vulpes Absurda said:

The dialog is not great for sure

The AI/Ghost banter in Inverted Spire is weird, at least. I hope it'll be less grating when we have more context around it.

Taken King seemed like where D1 really started down that "we can be funny AND super serious" path, and I wonder if the high regard people generally have for TTK has encouraged Bungie to maintain that tone. That half-and-half trailer a few months ago was clumsy, though, and I don't know if that line is one they can walk for a whole game.

I sorta liked the tone of Vanilla Destiny, with its unimagined planes and blessings of the ancients. There was a self-serious attempt at world-building there that worked for me. But that stuff gets stale in a game structured like Destiny, so I understand why they went more toward wackiness with Hotline Bling dances and Nolan North ghosts and Cayde quips. Curious to see where D2 falls on that spectrum.

Resurrecting this thread once more to mark the PC open beta, which started today.

Played the introductory story mission - wow! Reminds me of Halo a bit, the part aboard the enemy ship especially had flashbacks to the Truth and Reconciliation. Gunplay feels pretty good, everything handles well with mouse and keyboard. Wish the UI would show key bindings for your abilities though (like Overwatch does) as I spent plenty of time in the menus trying to work it all out.

My modest PC (AMD 7950...) gets a decent frame rate, so it's well optimised.

Like others on here I'm also not liking the forced banter. Cayde isn't half as funny as the script thinks he is.

I tried the Beta a little last night, feels like a competent shooter. was Destiny 1 built around arenas and corridors or are there more open environments?

I plan on playing the PC Beta more tonight my battle.net name is Cordeos #1528 if you want to friend me or whatever.

I'm pretty sure that this type of game isn't my thing, but I'm using the beta as an opportunity to see what the talk is about.

So is the cooperative mode the closest mode to the main draw of the franchise? Is the main game going to be more like Borderlands in structure?