BigJKO

[DevLog] Mr. Puffin in The Dark Castle

I'm just gonna create a thread here in Game Dev, because this isn't just a jam game anymore. I'm still figuring out how large to scope the game and such, but I definitely want to try and make something out of this Mr. Puffin.

I'll update this first post later, but just wanted to get this started.

Here's some Explosions!

3o84TQhvaQjApqZV4c.gifxTiN0iKdZTnwy37CKc.gif

That looks really sweet!

I was going to copy paste some of our Slack private conversation here but it's been deleted already, so to summarise:

Very excited to play the final product!

Needs lots of Hellboy-style environmental storytelling: particularly the owners' corpses sitting there staring at you

You should put some filters on a load of your Cwine art and use them as battered old paintings for the walls

A cheap and easy way to suggest more space without building it is to have cave-ins at the entrances to other wings of the castle (which fits with the delapidated feel)

Once it's done, you should totally make a version where you replace Mr Puffin with Hellboy and tweet it at Mike Mignola

I think Wind Waker reuses one or two cloud particles for a whole bunch of effects, just with different color variations. I know Super Mario 3D World uses these kinds of mesh particles and I imagine it reuses it for many different effects. I think it's a common technique for most games. :tup:

Looking great bigjko! Puffinw as definitely one of the stand out games as far as visual impact went. I couldn't believe how good it looked when I played through it! Really pumped that you're going to put some substance into the game, I think it has legs!

I've been doing some work over the last couple of weeks on this. I've started refactoring the levels to use an awesome plugin called Realtime CSG. It basically makes level-editing in Unity function a bit like the old Unreal level editor, with brush subtractions, making adding more rooms and archways a breeze!

2ZiqIkf.gif

ixw5aYp.gif

teKsMoM.png

Also, I've started doing hand-painted normal maps, which is a lot of fun.

M1X4KfC.jpg

And some more environment props.

IpAgRlL.png

szW0T78.gif

That all looks very promising, glad you're still working on this!

Those level tools take me back. Are you planning to extend the level or just rebuild it for now using the new tools?

Wow - so THAT is how people finish making real levels... Anyone have a preference between ProBuilder and Reatime CSG? Those are the two I'm seeing as pretty good.