eRonin

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: open your eyes and die a lot

Spoiler

I did have to learn how to reflect lasers, but I found that reflecting the smaller blasts was less risky, in that they did less damage, and they were slower, and has the same effect of knocking ganon down. 

My 7-year-old is crazy about takiing pictures, but frustrated by how few the game lets you save.  She's found an amazing loophoole, by putting them in the hyrule compendium.

If you look up fish in the hyrule compendium, you'll find pictures of all the people in Kakariko village, each with a fish at their feet.  If you look up shields, you get the Hateno villagers walking past shields!  I love it!

That sounds like a fun workaround! Occasionally I'll snap something I've already got and I try to keep the best picture.

So, I'm very happy I haven't had to check any online guides, etc, but there are two shrine quests that I can't work out. I've been standing at the Veiled Falls like an idiot, all the gear-no idea. I've 

Spoiler

got the Ceremonial Trident and the Lightscale one, I've tried dropping each one on the pedestal, I've tried 'piercing' the pedestal by throwing them while in the air, I've stood on an ice platform and thrown them down - nothing's working. Any gentle hints?

Also, in Rito Village

Spoiler

the riddle one, standing proud, shooting an arrow at the sun/heart to reveal the way, etc.

Any playground advice?

The shoot an arrow at the sun and heart one are two different riddles. The heart one requires no arrows. The arrows one is a little shadier.

"Splits the feet of veiled falls" sounds kind of aggressive, don't you think?

Seems that Wii U got the 1.1.2 update one day later than Switch. Don't know if it changes anything in the performance as I still haven't had time to return to BotW, because of Thimbleweed Park. Maybe when I'm done with Thimbleweed I can return, but then there's Full Throttle coming out next week...

Picked this up today, and dusted off the Wii U. I haven't watched any videos or looked at anything other than review score, and excited to go in blind. I did listen to the Thumbs ep, but I think that was it. 

On 4/14/2017 at 0:57 AM, miffy495 said:

I thought circumventing the shrine puzzles was one of the best parts. There was one where you had to start a bunch of giant spike balls swinging with the proper timing to run through them, but I noticed that if I messed with magnesis just right I could loop the chains they were suspended from around the rafters. I looped all of the chains around a few times so the spike balls were suspended a good few meters above a height where they could ever hit me and just ran through the whole thing like a few simple hallways. Best.

I did this exact thing and felt like such a fucking boss for it.

On 15/04/2017 at 6:41 PM, miffy495 said:

The shoot an arrow at the sun and heart one are two different riddles. The heart one requires no arrows. The arrows one is a little shadier.

"Splits the feet of veiled falls" sounds kind of aggressive, don't you think?

Thanks for the hints. So, I already had the arrows one at Rito Village, and the heart one was obvious once I found the pedestal I'd lost and looked at the pillar.

The Veiled Falls one felt a little clunky though.

Spoiler

I mean, I'd been jumping on to it while stabbing/lunging, throwing it from a vantage point, all of which should have worked. I eventually succeeded by gliding over and hitting Y. A very specific strike.

I've got 6 shrines left and my Shrine Quest counter reads 36/42. Guess I need to talk to some people!

Look at everything in the first Breath of the Wild DLC

- A new Hard Mode where enemies might be in the sky

- An object that sets a temporary warp point somewhere on the map

- A weird and exciting horde mode

- Apparently Nintendo has been tracking Link's GPS location all this time and they'll show you where you've walked on the map (as a way of helping you find areas you haven't visited). Did anybody actually read the Shiekah Slate TOS when they accepted it

- New outfits and weapons! 

Most importantly, look at this! 

gN57ttx.png

Oh my god a tingle outfit my dream has come true I can die happy.

Looks fun. The GPS map thing will be handy. I'm still missing 6 shrines, 5 of which are quests. Did you guys use guides to locate the ones you were missing?

Yeah, I got to 4 left and gave in to mop up the last few. I was so close I didn't want to fight Ganon without, but also felt like if left to my own devices I may never finish otherwise.

I checked the other night and I've put 53 hours into this game so far. I've done just over 60 shrines; got about 100 seeds; done two divine beasties; and unlocked a good few special things besides that. I must have unlocked at least half of the regions on the map, though how much of them I've actually seen is anyone's guess. 

I haven't even fought a proper Guardian yet. I keep seeing them from a distance and running away, because I'm a baby.

I'm still loving it as much as I ever did. I heard someone say on a podcast the other day that they finished it in 50 hours; I have no idea how that would be remotely possible to my degree of satisfaction. That said, I feel like I'm somewhat over-levelled now for most of what the game has to throw at me - my pockets overfloweth with great weapons, ingredients, rupees etc. Even the Major Test of Strength shrines aren't a problem anymore (thank god). I wonder how different it would feel to ride straight to every main objective from the start, only stopping at shrines that were within immediate range, rather than scrambling all over the map as I like to do. It would be challenging but I'm sure they tested that as a viable route.

The only thing that disappoints me about the Wii U version is that the game doesn't look great when played on the gamepad alone, which I'm doing increasingly. It's just a bit grainy - the resolution looks quite 'squashed' on that old sub-720p screen. Also the idea of being able to pick it up on the Switch and put it down at a moment's thought is really tempting. My Wii U seems to take a million years to crank into life these days.

From time to time, I find myself thinking that if they made a Wii U to Switch save transfer tool, I'd definitely buy a Switch plus this game again - especially if they bundled it in with the DLC. I'm gonna get a Switch anyway, and the game is so damn good I would have little objection to buying it twice. Is it totally inconceivable that they'd do that? Maybe not, when you consider that they haven't really done anything in the way of an onboarding program for people moving from Wii U to Switch - the strategy has been to focus on people who didn't have a Wii U in year one as a priority, and it certainly seems to be working. But that kind of transfer would be my ideal option for going through Hard mode, and the new content. Perhaps they could do something in conjunction with a cloud save system for Switch - but on the other hand, given that the Wii U has been comprehensively cracked, I think they'd want to avoid a situation where the Switch could be running modified save files.

Spoiler

I'm maybe 20 hours in and found the guy who teaches you how to shield surf. I love this game. 

DLC next week! I'm looking forward to tracing my route and mopping up the last 3 shrines that have eluded me.

I snapped up the Majora's Mask amiibo this evening to get the Fierce Deity gear...and I also ended up with the Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword amiibos too. Hey, they were just sitting right there! If I don't get them now they might disappear forever, like the Ocarina one I missed :(  And I want Epona! And the SS one just looks 👌