eRonin

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: open your eyes and die a lot

6 hours ago, eRonin said:

People are upset that Tingle doesn't appear to be on Tingel island

This was the most disappointing moment on your stream.... :sad:

:rubik:

What if Skyrim on the Switch is actually brilliant, because Zelda has exposed an entirely new group of game players to the realm of open world online systemic jank?

I was having this half-serious conversation yesterday, mixed with Nintendo having gone Full Blizzard on Zelda by taking a multitude of disparate good ideas and jumbling them around until the pieces all fit together and then shining it up reeeeeal nice. From a systems perspective it's probably the most polished open world game ever, but it's not actually the most expansive or deepest. I don't think Nintendo has the reach to stifle one of the biggest, broadest genres in gaming by making everyone strive for something they can never achieve ala World of Warcraft. It can very literally never have the reach of Minecraft The Biggest Game Ever tm. But maybe it has the ability to expose (Age of Conan joke here) that world to a bunch of people who are Zelda and Nintendo fans and found out they like it.

I still don't think Skyrim is actually a good idea on the Switch, but having that talk has upgraded my expectations from Poor Idea, Unlikely Success to Poor Idea, Possible Success at least where sales are concerned.

Breath of the Wild suffers from very little open world jank. Whic is particularly impressive considering how deep it can get.

30 minutes ago, Twig said:

Breath of the Wild suffers from very little open world jank. Whic is particularly impressive considering how deep it can get.

I converted a lot of conversations from the last couple of days into the word "jank". What I mean here isn't the "i fell through a hole and finished a quest, and then the questgiver had a different face!" phenomenon but things like freezing an object in time and changing its angular momentum and then literally freezing water for a path and then it hits a barrel and then I got a lot of apples while killing a skeleton and getting a sweet sword... which admittedly is not how jank is generally deployed in conversation, but was my way of saying that other games do have those systems and also that jank.

Haha okay, yeah, that definitely exists. And yeah that is definitely not how I'd ever use the word "jank". :P

16 minutes ago, Ben X said:

Badfinger, why are you killing language?

To be fair I didn't say Zelda had it, only that it could expose new players to it.

Who isn't a little eager to further bastardize "jank", anyway?

You can watch Jake (and Ken Levine, and Jake Kazdal, and Aaron Linde) talk about the game here. It's an interesting discussion! 

Edit: Ken Levine curses, gets embarrassed, Jake says "Jesus Christ"

DNeZ2qr.gif

23 hours ago, RubixsQube said:

You can watch Jake (and Ken Levine, and Jake Kazdal, and Aaron Linde) talk about the game here. It's an interesting discussion!

Thanks for the link!  I had to close the window quickly simply because of that video loop in the lower left corner.  I feel weird jumping in on other podcast/video series because I'm sure that's a hilarious in-joke that I would laugh at if it didn't frighten me to my core.

On 3/18/2017 at 11:40 AM, mikemariano said:

Thanks for the link!  I had to close the window quickly simply because of that video loop in the lower left corner.  I feel weird jumping in on other podcast/video series because I'm sure that's a hilarious in-joke that I would laugh at if it didn't frighten me to my core.

I don't understand, are you talking about Aaron Linde's little looping image? I think the other three people on the podcast decided to skype video call in, but he's represented by that silly loop. I listened to this like a podcast, outside of the fun moment I gif'ed above. 

In other news, after many many hours of fun exploring, I finally completed my first dungeon:

Spoiler

Vah Medoh, the bird robot

It granted me a power that is profoundly useful for exploring. If anyone is reading this and hasn't completed a dungeon yet, your life will be immeasurably easier if you head northwest and tackle this challenge first. 

Afterwards, I just spent more time exploring the southeast part of the map. I think that it's important for me to not be riding a horse around, since I can really stop and satisfy my curiosity more quickly when I'm on foot. I've also been throwing my shrine orbs into stamina upgrades instead of hearts because it's way way more fun to clamber around without worrying about falling. 

It is incredible how amazing this game looks and feels. 

That GI video is a fun listen. Jake's world scaling theory he brought up on Thumbs (that the environment is scaled to make it look more distant than it really is) still has me intrigued. I'm really curious if that's what's going on, or just clever use of fog/DOF combined with a relatively fast movement speed.

I'm kind of excited to read the inevitable Gamasutra blog posts breaking down the design tricks this game uses, it's such a treasure trove of that stuff.

1 hour ago, rohlfinator said:

That GI video is a fun listen. Jake's world scaling theory he brought up on Thumbs (that the environment is scaled to make it look more distant than it really is) still has me intrigued. I'm really curious if that's what's going on, or just clever use of fog/DOF combined with a relatively fast movement speed.

I'm kind of excited to read the inevitable Gamasutra blog posts breaking down the design tricks this game uses, it's such a treasure trove of that stuff.

Even though I suggested that (because it's conceptually fascinating to me) I'm almost positive it's nothing but atmospheric effects to silhouette things out and very smooth level of detail management, with no neat magic tricks involved, but it is impressive how well scaled everything is.

Firewatch's world is only 1 square kilometer, and we don't cheat the scale of anything in the distance (except your lookout tower which is bigger when you're in the canyon) but it feels a lot bigger because the fog and atmospheric distortion are pumped way up so things go to silhouette far faster than they would in real life. How hazed out a distant object is, is a big visual signifier for our eyes/brain. They actually paint the atmospheric haze into the rocks in theme parks now to make the world seem bigger and it totally totally works. When you walk into Cars Land through the back entrance (which is all nature and not the town), your brain doesn't quite know what to do with itself because it feels like a gigantic mile-deep vista, even though you know it can't be bigger than a half of a city block.

I discovered a dude on top of a tower who will give you rupees based on how far you can glide away from the tower! My first attempt managed 463 metres, and I estimated that it is perhaps half the distance of the great plateau from one end to the other. From this I further estimate the whole land to be about 10-12km across, so about 100 square km in total. This makes it roughly the size of the world of Xenoblade X by dimensions, but XenoX's world was mostly ocean with 5 smaller zones, so in terms of meaningful area, Breath of the Wild is much much bigger. Pretty impressive! Does anyone know how that compares to something like Skyrim or The Witcher 3?

Anyway, I finally freed all 4 divine beasts today, but I plan to hunt for all the memories in the game before I confront Hyrule Castle; and I'll try to hit as many shrines and koroks as I can along the way, but I don't think I'll necessarily go out of my way to look for those.

My brother came over with his Switch and I got to try this out today and I'm surprised that it met and exceeded the hyped expectations.

It just dumps you right into the world so fast, lets you loose to face real threats and find your own way. The moment of leaving the resurrection chamber and seeing the world out before me was incredible. The fighting is so good. I kept jokingly asking my brother if X thing from Dark Souls was in the game, and they all were, plus stuff like "Perfect dodges" that DS doesn't even have. The cooking was already fun and I liked having to prepare for a snowy trek up a mountain. As well as solving a tiny puzzle to cross a river. It's good to see there are snippets of puzzle design loose in the world and not just for secrets. I also had not realised the game straight up gave you a basic set of power ups at the very start. I had assumed I'd be going through 4 shrines with just the magnetic powers, but then I got almost the full set in my 1-2 hour playtime where I also wandered off into skull caves.

Given the amount of things I accidentally set on fire with the arrow nocked in my bow, I also look forward to unlocking all the little pieces to how this game works. I'm so glad this is on a handheld because I can't imagine finding enough time to play this fully only sitting at a couch (in my case my computer desk, where my only screen is).

Now I just need to wait for myself to cave and buy the Switch already.

Been slowly playing it now recently, haven't had that much time to play in the past week or so. +20 hours gone and still haven't left Gerudo Desert, so many fun things to climb and discover there. I've noticed that I really need more weapon slots as I've got so many cool weapons I don't want to lose. Just got an electric sword which is great. There's so much hidden shit in the game that it's incredible.

Maybe I should start following the story soon.

3 hours ago, Vulpes Absurda said:

This video does a pretty good job of point out the things I very much don't like about this game (with some spoilers for this game that may as well not really have anything you can spoil): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNLMDWZY6_A

I ended up way more down on the game then he does though.

Me too, due to life commitments the past 2 weeks I haven't had time to play and I don't know if I'm going to go back and finish the game. I have two beasts remaining and a lot of shrines, but the more I played the more all the small annoyances added up and the more the repetition became apparent. The lack of progression outside of hearts and stamina and the fact that as he points out, almost every interesting side thing ends in a shrine kind of makes me not bothered.