eRonin

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: open your eyes and die a lot

16 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

Also, maybe everyone's doing this and I'm an idiot, but if you jump off your horse and draw your bow mid-air you get a whole bunch of awesome bullet-time slowdown. I accidentally equipped a bomb arrow and the bob-ombobklin explosion was epic. And Geronimo caught fire :(

The slowmotion seems to happen always when you draw the bow to shoot while in air. Same happened to me if I jump/drop from a ledge down.

The making of Zelda videos are up in Youtube.

Man, the level of ire Jim Sterling is getting from Zelda fans for his 7/10 review score is a bit insane. 

Yeah it's ridiculous, especially as he makes a lot of valid points which I've mentioned here, and apparently several times to my flatmate whenever he's watching me play.

Welcome to video game fans.

It's shit.

Everything's shit.

Except this game which is near perfect. :3

15 hours ago, miffy495 said:

There's a lot of weird references to Link's Awakening in this game, considering it was all a dream. Mabe village exists in actual Hyrule now (even if it is only ruins)? Tarin mountain? Tal Tal Heights? Weird.

yeah, there's plenty of coastal areas that are named after LA characters and places.  Love it.  Makes me want LA to fall on yet another 4th timeline where we don't have to deal with the messiness that the OoT conspiracy theorists have constructed.  

On that note, while not seeing a human-form Gannon is kinda disappointing (his presence adds both personal and conceptual intrigue) I guess it does make it that much simpler in a mechanically complex game.  My mind now goes to the whole game dev tychoon sliders where they brought the story slider way down to fill in mechanics to the max.

wind waker ganon(dorf) is still the best ganon(dorf)

it's the only time they ever present him at all sympathetically and it works all the better for it

I wish they were all just called Ganon.

"Ganondorf" "Calamity Ganon" etc are bad names.

Ganondorf is the human-thing and Ganon is the beast-thing! There's always been a distinction there, at least, and it's been consistent.

Boy oh boy did it throw me off for years when I was a kid, though.

Calamity Ganon is definitely bad.

55 minutes ago, Twig said:

"Calamity Ganon" just makes me think of Ganon dressed up in Old West garb and shootin' off a pair of pistols.

pls nintendo make a western themed zelda thank you

1 hour ago, Twig said:

Wait, is this seriously a name Ganon has had in a game?

If they are gonna play it that loosely, I vote for Ganakin Dorfwalker. Did you know he built Navi?

breath of the wild

tho it's not so much a "he" in this case, as an "it"

calamity ganon is just this big dark force rather than a dude walking around like in previous games

I'm all about the Phantom Ganon. Dorf.

Calamity Ganon just makes me think of Breath of the Wild being narrated by the Bastion guy.

'Kid went wild smashing pots.'

"Calamity Ganon" IS definitely a bad name, but it's made slightly better in the context of the names of the other four main level bosses. Slightly.

Personally I think it looks all right on its own.

But then they say it. And they always say the whole thing. AHHHHH.

Really it's just one of those "it's fine in Japanese because that's how they do things" things. But the localization didn't catch it. For whatever reason. Mandates from on high? /shrug

I find the localization for every unvoiced line to be really good, while the localization for every voiced line ranges from tolerable to distractingly bad.

It could just be that the VO highlights how unnatural sounding the localized dialog sounds when read out loud, and surely that's part of it. But I do also think the writing and localization teams must have had more leeway with the unvoiced lines to make more interesting choices.

I think you're probably right.

I'm actually in what I assume is the minority in that I like that there are voiced lines. But I completely agree that the voiced lines are bad (not universally so, but at times REALLY bad). So... maybe next time, haha.

So apparently the suffix of -dorf on a name is referring in german to a village.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_family_name_affixes

That means that Ganondorf just came from a town called Ganon....Which means that some group of people named their town after Ganon, then Ganon decided to be reincarnated there as Ganondorf.  What a self-conceited prick.

A bunch of the voiced lines remind me of Trey Parker doing a fantasy-sounding affectation.

Re: the map names -- it's a neat touch that a lot of the references to older Zelda games are slightly misspelled/mistranslated.

Ooohhh, what if the Christmas DLC story campaign is Tingle's Adventures in Hyrule?