eRonin

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: open your eyes and die a lot

Yeah, the coexistence of Rito and Zora here confuses me as well. Maybe it was just me reading too much into both tribes being sources for Nayru's stone in separate games and was never actually said though? Tempted to go grab the Hyrule Historia off my bookshelf, but since it was released alongside Skyward Sword, I doubt it would have anything relevant to say. I may check out the Wind Waker section later just to see though.

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it, at least.

Doesn't really bother me, though, haha. Mostly just confused and curious.

Ok, so I did like 10 minutes of research and was reminded of a plot detail from Wind Waker: When Medli (Rito) is revealed to be a sage in that game, it also shows the ghost of the ancient sage she decended from, Laruto (Zora). Zora and Rito sharing the same bloodline. So there's that.

EDIT: Really though, whatever. They can do what they want with this. I have finished the Zora's Domain section (rad as hell) and have no even looked at anywhere on the map outside of the Southeast yet after like 15 hours of play. I can forgive lore weirdness with a game this good.

Yeahhh that's right! HMMM. Oh well, I guess in Breath of the Wild, the Rito evolved while the Zora remained separately. Whatever!

Unrelated...

Here is a thing that I liked that happened to me in the Gerudo town. It's not a big story event or anything, nor is it even a significant gameplay moment spoiler, but eh whatever some people care about these things:

I was walking by a small waterfall, coming from the aqueduct above. Something fell. I couldn't tell what it was, but I climbed up the wall, and saw another one floating down the stream. A watermelon rind, clearly a recently eaten slice. I followed the water upstream, waiting at each fork for the next rind to float down so I'd know where to go. Eventually I was led to a woman chowing down on watermelons. I talked to her, and she greeted me and went back to eating, clearly wanting nothing to do with me. I talked to her again and she told me to go away because I was being a weirdo creep. Lady just wanted to eat her delicious watermelon in peace!

I like this game a lot. Moments like that, where I see something curious, follow the lead, and am led to an ultimately insignificant, but interestingly unique scene. That's my jam. And they're EVERYWHERE in this game. Mmmm.

Game ain't perfect and has some issues but good fucking lord. AHHHHHH.

LORE SPECULATION ALERT! - rather than the Rito evolving from the Zora, maybe Medli's mum/dad/ancestor was a Zora?

I always thought it weird the Zora weren't in Wind Waker. Surely they'd be OWNING the place if the world became one big ocean. Is my memory playing tricks or were there one or two secret ones to find?

I don't think there were any secret Zora to find. Gorons were wandering merchants without a home, though.

Maybe Zora are a freshwater species! They're always associated with rivers and/or lakes, after all. I think...

Don't the seawater Zora and the freshwater Zora have beef? Maybe I dreamt this.

No! It's in Oracle of Ages. Not beef, but rivalry. All the Zora in Ages are saltwater. I reckon Medli's simply got a Zora ancestor in her family tree. The Zeldaverse is definitely down with mixing races (it seems all the Zora princesses have got the hots for Link, no?)

I must have played 25 hours and I just got my first Divine Beast last night. I think I'll visit Gerudo Land next (desert is also my least favourite 'theme' and, although I've done a bunch of stuff in the North East, the tower seems unclimbable at the moment.) South West for the Gerudos, isn't it?

Hearing the bard play Epona's Song on the accordion along with the stables music was sweet.

The one saving grace of the desert is that it never rains there :P

ALSO! It's hot in the day and cold at night, which is nice. I think people forget that about deserts.

oracle of ages isn't canon!!! capcom made it!!!

apparently there are saltwater zora in majora's mask tho

but since that's a weird dark world aberration of everything that is pure hyrule, IT DOESN'T COUNT!!!

I got through the Divine Beast in the desert area last night, but it was not exactly fun. I thought the puzzles and boss fight were interesting but the frame rate on WiiU was atrocious, it led to button presses not registering and made it very difficult to aim as well so the boss fight felt incredibly unfair and was a real chore. It's the only time so far that the frame rate has had an impact on my enjoyment of the game.

Well this is exciting. I should go back and watch that GDC presentation in its entirety before I check this out as well.

ALSO: Making my way up Death Mountain; the frame-rate on Wii U was just atrocious with an entire second of frames skipping in some cases. Then the volcano erupted and the Wii U just couldn't handle all the particles and actually hard-locked, lol. The framerate has been fine for me inside the divine beasts though! I've been enjoying all of them; though the Death Mountain one wasn't as exciting.

As @BigJKO said in my chat; this is truly the Wii U's swan song, because my Wii U will melt by the time I finish the game.

@eRonin Maybe you can help me with Death Mountain then:

I've gotten as far as trying to rescue the guy who got stuck in a cave up there, but I can't seem to get the rocks out of the way to get at him. I couldn't figure out what to do :/

1 minute ago, thepaulhoey said:

@eRonin Maybe you can help me with Death Mountain then:

Reveal hidden contents

I've gotten as far as trying to rescue the guy who got stuck in a cave up there, but I can't seem to get the rocks out of the way to get at him. I couldn't figure out what to do :/

Spoiler

You can change the direction of the nearby cannon by hitting the lever (I thought I had to use magnesis for a long time and couldn't think of anything else!)

On 3/10/2017 at 0:19 AM, miffy495 said:

Regarding your spoilers GIANT SPOILERS IN RESPONSE:

Hide contents

When I was trying to find the location of that picture that Impa sends you to find to recall your first memory, I didn't read what the painter said very clearly. He was all "Yeah! It's on the border of the snowfield" and then I stopped paying attention. Ended up wandering around the snowfield for a while, slowly running low on heat saving items and wondering when I would find that gate and finish this super early tutorial quest. Instead I found a fucking dragon's nest at the peak of a frozen mountain. I was out of items that saved heat and slowly freezing to death, face to face with a giant dragon in a puzzle/fight (he doesn't really fight back) that has you gliding from peak to peak peppering him with arrows. I was also down to my last 5 arrows. The crazy part is, I beat the fucker and opened the connected shrine. Even crazier than that, the dragon I fought didn't look like yours. I don't think I fought the same dragon from your picture. Multiple dragons?

This game is great.

I stumbled upon this the other night - it was great. 

4 hours ago, eRonin said:
As @BigJKO said in my chat; this is truly the Wii U's swan song, because my Wii U will melt by the time I finish the game.

Well this makes me feel better about getting the switch then.  After hearing all this stuff about the speedrunning community is running the WiiU version because of loading times, I've been wondering about my purchase choice.  That said, I feel pretty solid about getting the switch since it has so much future potential; and I'm also looking forward to yooka-lailee coming out next month.

RE: Fresh/Saltwater Zora vis a vis Ruto....isn't it plausible that the freshwater Zora evolved to Ruto, and the saltwater just peace'd-out in WW? with the land being covered in salt water, obviously it makes it tough for freshwater Zora, and the saltwater Zora just may have been chillin' out somewhere below the sea that wasn't necessarily anywhere around where Link would be able to explore.

that's the argument i'd make if i believed in the existence of saltwater zora

which i DON'T

see above!!!!!!!!!!

OKAY NEW THOUGHT

rito evolved from zora at some point before wind waker

post wind waker some zora who were stuck in time frozen hyrule came back and the world has since recovered and now they coexist

(this actually doesn't work because i'm pretty sure breath of the wild isn't down the wind waker timeline but fuck if i know??)

FIGURED IT OUT GUYS

GOT IT IN ONE

throwing another wrench in this:

Spoiler

there's a whale skeleton in the desert...but I think it also has a wing-like appendage. Wind Fish died???  Discounting it potentially being the wind fish, a whale skeleton in the desert would imply the area was covered in water.

I'm beginning to think that this game is set SOOOO far in the future that every permutation of the zelda timeline has occurred, but it doesn't matter since this is the end of it all.

Kinda like how Dune was set so far in the future that anything we could recognize as familiar to our own world is similar but not exact (by this I'm thinking of their religion of Zensunni).

The horses vary SO much! I was pretty happy with Geronimo, my 4 stirrup star, but I just went after a nice looking horse (turned out to be a side questy one) and it's like I'm walking on air.

Also, maybe everyone's doing this and I'm an idiot, but if you jump off your horse and draw your bow mid-air you get a whole bunch of awesome bullet-time slowdown. I accidentally equipped a bomb arrow and the bob-ombobklin explosion was epic. And Geronimo caught fire :(

3 hours ago, SamKD said:

throwing another wrench in this:

Hide contents

there's a whale skeleton in the desert...but I think it also has a wing-like appendage. Wind Fish died???  Discounting it potentially being the wind fish, a whale skeleton in the desert would imply the area was covered in water.

I'm beginning to think that this game is set SOOOO far in the future that every permutation of the zelda timeline has occurred, but it doesn't matter since this is the end of it all.

Kinda like how Dune was set so far in the future that anything we could recognize as familiar to our own world is similar but not exact (by this I'm thinking of their religion of Zensunni).

There's a lot of weird references to Link's Awakening in this game, considering it was all a dream. Mabe village exists in actual Hyrule now (even if it is only ruins)? Tarin mountain? Tal Tal Heights? Weird.