eRonin

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: open your eyes and die a lot

God i hope those 'useful items' aren't like an easy mode cool sword at the beginning of the game you wouldn't get otherwise. I hate shit like that, pre order and make the game a cake walk :tup:

711Kv1ls-wL._SL1267_.jpg

I'm amazon order still hasn't dispatched, but still has an arrival date of tomorrow. The WiiU version now is 'currently unavailable' :/ i was kinda surprised when it let me order it a few days ago. If Nintendo really want people to buy the switch they should've just released this a week or two later. If the console were avaible in shops i probably would've crumbled and went out and bought one what with all the glowing reviews.

I'm currently downloading the game on my Wii U! It is past 1AM here though so I can't really play it until morning because I really need to sleep, otherwise I wouldn't fully appreciate the game's opening hours. But man oh man it's really finally here.

huh, i never thought about buying it digitally. It is like £13 more expensive though...

Considering i can still cancel my amazon order i'm not going to be receiving it tomorrow. maybe i'll just pony up and get it digitally

get it a bit cheaper here. Is WiiU stuff region locked, i don't even know if this is a EU code.

https://uk.mmoga.net/Nintendo/Wii-U/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-Wii-U-Download-Code.html?ref=392&currency=GBP

yeah, cancelled my physical amazon order and got a code for £50 off that website above (It a European website so the code should work...) plus i found a 3% off discount code :)

fingers crossed the code actually turns up and works :tup:

Wii U is region locked, yes, but not the Switch! You just need to make separate accounts for the different regions

Got the code. Got an error message saying the game isn't released yet, all good.

Shame this isn't a cross platform code as i might pick up a switch some day, if Bayonetta 3 ever gets announced.

5 hours ago, Mington said:

Best game of alllllllll tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee?

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all/filtered?sort=desc

Considering reviews were a lot less critical 10/20 year ago

I don't know that Grand Theft Auto IV is super loved these days so not really? I'm sure it's good (and I'm also sure that you don't think a metacritic score is what makes a game the greatest ever but this is a #gameing forum and thus  feel complied to argue against this ;) ) but I suspect in a few years people will talk about how it's a fun and very, maybe even impeccably well designed sandbox that borrows too much of it's aesthetic from other things to really stand out on it's own as the revaluation it's billed as. That may well just be me projecting tough. Every time I've tried to go back and play a Zelda game I mostly find myself thinking about all the ways it lifts 90% of its plot and art from infinitely better Ghibli movies and adds little to them.

My other thoughts on the games reception:

On the one hand I'm glad that Zelda is pretty damn good but on the other I'm not looking forward to every compliant about Nintendo being met with "But Zelda is so good!"

"I'm really not thrilled with the way they sexually objectified minors in Fire Emble~"

"But Zelda!"

"The Microtransactions in this smart phone game are kin~"

"ZELDA!"

"The way they fired that women due to a targeted harassment cam~"

"BUT ZELDA!"

From Austin Walker's (kind of spoiler-ey) review:

a4nxQIe.png

What a weird obscure pull, does anybody here know anyone who even likes Far Cry 2

I watched Dan Ryckert roll a grenade down a hill in Zelda. That's good.

49 minutes ago, Vulpes Absurda said:

My other thoughts on the games reception:

On the one hand I'm glad that Zelda is pretty damn good but on the other I'm not looking forward to every compliant about Nintendo being met with "But Zelda is so good!"

"I'm really not thrilled with the way they sexually objectified minors in Fire Emble~"

"But Zelda!"

"ZELDA!"

"BUT ZELDA!"

This is my assessment on the near future, with other wildly anti-consumer stuff thrown in as well. That's bad.

i've literally never encountered anyone like this in my entire life

I've encountered countless straw people like that, for sure.

I'll be getting it for Wii U as the Switch is somehow selling for 3 times the US price in my country right now.

Also, did anyone else check out ZAM's very negative review (ignore the comments)? Most of the aspects that the reviewer hated (i.e. pretty much everything) sounds good to me as they describe it so I guess I'm even more excited to play it now. 

19 minutes ago, dium said:

I've encountered countless straw people like that, for sure.

you've encountered someone who would otherwise criticize, say, fire emblem, for its creepy pedo thousand year old dragon shit, but then when, say, zelda comes out, they use zelda as an excuse to suddenly assert that creepy pedo thousand year old dragon shit isn't important?

i've certainly encountered people who would say it's not a problem from the start, but i've never encountered someone who would actually criticize it one moment, and then defend it by proxy the next...

12 minutes ago, dartmonkey said:

You peeps need to keep better company :P

even on gaf i've never seen anyone like this!

maybe they exist in 4chan, a place i've never dared venture

1 hour ago, Twig said:

i've literally never encountered anyone like this in my entire life

The Nintendo thread is literally this thing.

23 minutes ago, Twig said:

you've encountered someone who would otherwise criticize, say, fire emblem, for its creepy pedo thousand year old dragon shit, but then when, say, zelda comes out, they use zelda as an excuse to suddenly assert that creepy pedo thousand year old dragon shit isn't important?

I have communicated my position badly: I have encountered this as a straw-argument before, but no, I haven't encountered any real people who say this.

2 hours ago, Vulpes Absurda said:

"But Zelda!"

"ZELDA!"

"BUT ZELDA!"

To be fair, people do call Nintendo out on their shit, but everyone seems to be so weirdly enamored by them that they ultimately get a pass where other companies would get eviscerated for some of the shit they do. In addition to the things you mentioned, there was the Tomodachi Life controversy, the initial outcry that this Zelda would be yet another entry featuring a straight white male, and plenty of other things along those lines.

I mean, it is interesting to see some of the same people criticizing Giant Bomb for their lack of focus on political issues in here gushing over how amazing all this Nintendo shit is when you could argue that Nintendo has a long track record of being just as problematic in those regards, and maybe even more so. 

48 minutes ago, Twig said:

i've certainly encountered people who would say it's not a problem from the start, but i've never encountered someone who would actually criticize it one moment, and then defend it by proxy the next...

I have encountered many people who "would rather focus on the positive" that is something like how good the new Zelda is than talk about the shitty things that Nintendo's done lately. It's not an overt argument that someone's making, it's an unwillingness to engage with the negatives of something they like.

6 minutes ago, Gormongous said:

I have encountered many people who "would rather focus on the positive" that is something like how good the new Zelda is than talk about the shitty things that Nintendo's done lately. It's not an overt argument that someone's making, it's an unwillingness to engage with the negatives of something they like.

Like I said, I think those are the same people who would assert it's not really a problem to begin with. If it were a problem to them, they wouldn't be able to focus on the positive. At least, that's how I am. I desperately wish, every day, that I could focus on the positive. It is my preferred state of being. But I'm overwhelmed by negative feelings about various aspects of things I consume (and the things that surround those things), so even if I would rather focus on the positive... I can't.

I also think what you're describing is different from the proposed argumentative caricature of a human being portrayed above.

26 minutes ago, dium said:

I have communicated my position badly: I have encountered this as a straw-argument before, but no, I haven't encountered any real people who say this.

Ah, I misunderstood!

1 hour ago, designiana said:

Also, did anyone else check out ZAM's very negative review (ignore the comments)? Most of the aspects that the reviewer hated (i.e. pretty much everything) sounds good to me as they describe it so I guess I'm even more excited to play it now. 

After so much glowing, drooling praise from pretty much everywhere else, this was an appropriately tempering perspective to read. He seems to have a really quite comprehensive dislike for this game.

Haha damn that is one brutal review. I love it. (I mean that sincerely. But then I also love reading Tom Chick's reviews. He's one of my favorite reviewers. Reviewers who aren't afraid to be completely straight with their own opinions about games like Zelda, almost guaranteed to be adored by the masses, are my jam.)

This is now the only review I've read for BOTOW, and it's quite fun reading someone who is so the complete opposite of me tear apart a game I'm fairly certain I'm going to love.

55 minutes ago, Gormongous said:

This is what I'm getting at. The exact scenario I laid out above may not happen all that often but it's only a slight variation on what does happen all the time which is someone will mention something about what Nintendo has done, which is followed by one or two people going "yeah that sucks" and then Regie tells a dad joke or Miyamoto put's on a dumb hat and the conversation about whatever shit Nintendo pulled turns into more praise for Nintendo and the prior topic is treated as having been discussed when it really wasn't. Assuming it ever even was.

All of the Nintendo fanpeople I know complain about Nintendo far more than the people who don't like Nintendo.

It's always interesting to see this weird mixup in how people feel about how other people feel about Nintendo.

EDIT: Err to be clear I am talking about the internet at large and not this thread. Like I see people who don't like Nintendo campaigning against them at every turn. I see people who love Nitnendo whining about everything they do. I see people who love Nintendo whining about people whining about Nintendo. I see people who hate Nintendo perplexed at people who love Nintendo proclaiming Nintendo's imminent death. Occasionally, I see people who just like Nintendo games and want to play them. It's rare, though.

I've been part of a community of Nintendo fans (dwindling for years and years and now just a group of ~5 people in a Slack over yonder) and today there was an argument about whether or not friend codes means the system's going to die. (Of course, in between all this, there's talk about Trump, and the ACLU (a few of us are members), and shitty things happening in tech (like the recent stories about sexism at Uber, and how it's everywhere), but... that's neither here nor there. This is about NINTENDO.

And Nintendo is doomed.

It's something I've been engrossed with basically since I discovered the internet, and I still don't understand why Nintendo invigorates such strong feelings of animosity.

In my circle of friends I'm definitely the one who is most critical of Nintendo. This is because I even know what Nintendo is up to these days...most of them are pretty ignorant because Nintendo doesn't do the best job at communicating things to people who aren't already subscribed to them. I bought Zelda on the Wii U because I don't think the Switch is currently good value, nor do I agree with a whole slew of things that they are doing. Having said that I don't agree with lots of things other companies do. In the end I like games and I like playing them so I can't just boycott every platform I disagree with (depending on severity of course I will refuse to give certain companies my money).

Anyway so like Zelda is really good I played it for 7 hours and I want to play more but now I have a headdache and I should probably cool it a bit.